Naming GPS Favorites

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum, 2013 Mustang
I got the Ford built-in navigation "favorites" figured out but I can't figure out Apple Maps and Google Maps. Maybe someone can help me.

When I use either of them to navigate I search using the address bar and that's no problem, but when I want to save that search and give it a name, I just can't find out how. I've looked carefully at both map apps and clicked on every icon, but I can't find any way to save a destination and name it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know, why would anyone need three mapping apps, but they each seem to have things I like.

Thanks
Sponsored

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I use waze with Android auto. I use wired AA so I open my phone to waze where all my recent destinations are saved. Start my navigation then plug in my phone to transfer AA to truck screen. I do not like wireless AA.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I don't know if you can save locations in Google Maps from CarPlay/Android Auto. However, if you open Google Maps on your phone, there is a banner. Swipe left on the buttons and there is an option for Save, click that and you can save it as a favorite. Note, this is on Android, but I'm pretty sure Apple looks similar.

Ford F-150 Naming GPS Favorites 1000000683

OP
OP
cool rod

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. But I'm really trying to store the search and name it on the Apple CarPlay edition of Apple Maps and Google Maps. I forgot about Waze, that's another GPS app for a total of four!

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. But I'm really trying to store the search and name it on the Apple CarPlay edition of Apple Maps and Google Maps. I forgot about Waze, that's another GPS app for a total of four!
I’m pretty sure that carplay is just a different visualization of your phone, not a separate app. I’m frequently inputting address data into my Apple Maps software as I’m turning on the vehicle, so I still have the phone in hand when carplay comes online. You can see the actions taken on the phone being duplicated on the truck screen.

Therefore, I believe that there’s no separate data saved on the vehicle side from anything done in carplay. If you want those addresses stored on apple maps (or other software), I think that you have to store them on your phone, which will then allow you to see them in carplay.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cool rod

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hmmm, that's interesting and it makes sense. I'll look into that when I get in the truck. I

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
when I want to save that search and give it a name
Do you mean to call the address something specific? Gmaps calls that a Label. In the Android version this is in the 3-dot submenu when looking at the details for a result. I imagine the Apple version has that hidden somewhere as well.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I just checked my company iPhone and the way to save a location in Google Maps is the same on iOS and Android on the phone itself. I'm still not sure if you can save favorites through CP/AA though.

OP
OP
cool rod

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the help, but it doesn't seem that you can save the searches in CarPlay. The closest you can get is to add the search result to the "Favorites" list on your phone. That's no use really because you're trying to find a location using your CarPlay, not with your phone. That "Favorites" list is meant to be places or numbers you use all the time, shorthand, not a list of all the searches you've made with your phone.

Aron is right, the Apple Maps in CarPlay simply reflects your phone, it's not an app of its own. Google Maps too it seems.

Cheers

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Thanks for the help, but it doesn't seem that you can save the searches in CarPlay. The closest you can get is to add the search result to the "Favorites" list on your phone. That's no use really because you're trying to find a location using your CarPlay, not with your phone. That "Favorites" list is meant to be places or numbers you use all the time, shorthand, not a list of all the searches you've made with your phone.

Aron is right, the Apple Maps in CarPlay simply reflects your phone, it's not an app of its own. Google Maps too it seems.

Cheers
I know that it's not quite what you had in mind, but Apple Maps does have a list of all of the recent location searches made using that app (my list goes back at least a few months, to when I cleared it last). It won't include things searched using a general search tab, though, so you'd have to search using the maps app (which you could do through carplay).

I can't speak for Google or Waze, since I don't use those.
Sponsored