My take on my new 22MY F-150 Tremor...

pyrocpu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor, 2021 Palisade, 2015 R1200R
Occupation
Auto OEM product planner
Greetings all! Long time lurker, first time writer.

I've had mine for a month now. Ordered it in late September, built in 2nd week of December, delivered to my SoCal railhead by New Year's Eve, got it about 10 days later. Agate Black Metallic. It's got about 670mi on the odo right now and some thoughts of mine below. No particular order; just a stream of consciousness...

PROS:
  • Roomy. First time truck owner, first time domestic & Ford owner. Came from a Mk7 Golf. This thing is... large.
  • Looks great! Though I'm not sure about the large "TREMOR" decal on the sides of the bed. Might remove them soon. It's a bit loud for my likes.
  • Seats are comfortable
  • Steering wheel and seat heaters warm up quickly (in high 30F temps--that's as cold as Metro LA gets)
  • 4A mode: works a lot better than I'd imagined. Completely progressive, and when combined w/ Sport mode, sounds great.
  • Exhaust sound: I honestly expected a 3.5L V6 would just sound meh. No, it's actually properly trucky, and at a sound level that's barely not too loud for me. The high-side of Goldilocks, if you will.
  • Audio: went for the B&O Unleashed, sound is clear. Max volume is fine for someone not in their 20s anymore. The good thing is that even as you approach max SPL, there's no clipping of frequencies as you might hear with other audio systems. I'd been streaming Ultra HD audio content from Amazon Music and it's quite good. I've heard better; this system is just a solid good.
CONS:
  • Paint bubbles: two of them, on the roof!
  • No glovebox light: Yes, I heard just before taking delivery that lots of small things went away for 22MY. Gotta love bean counters. Anyway, I just got a slim, rechargeable, motion-activated LED light from Amazon that works like a champ.
  • No bed lighting: The one in the CHMSL is there--it's the pair near the tailgate that was deleted. Didn't want the power tailgate or step to get them for 22MY. But now that I have a tonneau on there (Peragon, if anyone's interested), it's super dark in the bed when the tonneau is closed at night. I'm hoping there'll be a PnP solution for this soon, or something easy. The bed lighting kit that f150leds sell--not sure I want to use T-taps anymore.
  • 13.6 MPG. OK I get it. I'm 100% city. But even in Eco mode, with the coach bars over 95% consistently, this is not the greatest. Granted, I drive only 4-5K mi/yr, so this isn't so bad in gallons/year, but I was honestly hoping for something closer to the label fuel economy of 16 MPG city.
  • Wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay: connection is spotty. This morning, it just wouldn't connect to either my Samsung Android phone, nor my iPhone.
  • Wind noise: Driver's door wind noise (65-70mph) is noticeably more than in the front passenger seat. It's almost as if someone forgot the sound insulation on the driver's door!
  • Rusty diff: Look, I get this one too: cast iron is gonna rust. And I've seen the other threads on here with their 14th gen F-150 rusty diffs. But the severity of my rust? It's not like it was one of the trucks that sat outside the Ford factories for months, waiting for parts... This was built & shipped right away! And this is frickin' LA we're talking about. We barely get rain, let alone enough snow to require salty roads. Pic is from the day I took delivery.
  • Tire rubbing: weird one. Full lock, flat road, just me (skinny fella here). Only on full left-hand lock will I hear rubbing from the front. Full right lock is OK. I don't get it. This is fully stock. Is this normal for factory trucks??
  • Rattles: there's something physically loose in my glovebox door. I took the g/box door fully off, and moved it around. There's a loose bolt/nut/screw fully contained inside the glovebox door assembly. It sounds like a (broken) rainstick as I make turns in the city. :/
Don't get me wrong, nothing is ever going to be perfect. Still love the truck, but at nearly $70K, I was hoping for a lot fewer things wrong than this!

Ford F-150 My take on my new 22MY F-150 Tremor... diff

Ford F-150 My take on my new 22MY F-150 Tremor... paint bubble

Ford F-150 My take on my new 22MY F-150 Tremor... front quarter
Sponsored

Sean80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 Tremor (on order)
Sorry, but for $70k that is bullshit. I'm glad I'm leasing mine. It shouldn't leave the factory with that rust or paint bubbles, or rattles. A small rattle in the glovebox would drive me nuts. I hope you can get this stuff fixed.

Also, your fuel economy should improve as it brakes in.

Last edited:

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
First time truck owner, first time domestic & Ford owner. Came from a Mk7 Golf. This thing is... large.
My 21 F-150 was same story! Came from MKVII GTI - first truck first-ish domestic (had some hand me down beaters in high school and a 98 wrangler I used for plowing and off road)

Also as others have said I would agree the paint, rattles, and rubbing are unacceptable. I haven’t had any issues with mine (purchased Jan 21) other than some sync gremlins that have slowly improved over time. They are mostly gone but still run into occasional bugs.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Oh heck no on that paint....the axle, clean it and use black roll cage paint.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Tremor 402a on order
What did the dealer say about the paint... ? That's one of those things they will blame you for once you take it home.

OP
OP

pyrocpu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto OEM product planner
What did the dealer say about the paint... ? That's one of those things they will blame you for once you take it home.
Nah. I sent the dealership my photos the afternoon of the same day after taking it home. We both realize it's not a dealership thing, nor my thing, but definitely a Ford factory thing. I'll be dropping my truck off at the dealer later this week, and let's see how long they hold onto the vehicle.

OP
OP

pyrocpu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto OEM product planner
Alright... sorry for the delayed update.

Quick summary:
  • 22 days at the dealership/body shop
  • Roof repainted
  • Diff looks like they just hit with Rustoleum (fine by me)
  • Glovebox door replaced
  • Tire rubbing: dealer couldn't duplicate, although after having it been there at the dealership, neither can I! Perhaps it self-clearanced :p
I'm also having an issue with the balance/fader controls. I don't have the arrows that let you fine tune the controls. I can drag the two axis dot on the diagram of the cabin though.

Photos of the before and after of the diff.

Ford F-150 My take on my new 22MY F-150 Tremor... diff

Ford F-150 My take on my new 22MY F-150 Tremor... IMG_0538.JPG

OP
OP

pyrocpu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto OEM product planner
Sorry, but for $70k that is bullshit. I'm glad I'm leasing mine. It shouldn't leave the factory with that rust or paint bubbles, or rattles. A small rattle in the glovebox would drive me nuts. I hope you can get this stuff fixed.

Also, your fuel economy should improve as it brakes in.
And yes, you're right. Same driving, getting +2MPG over what I had in that first tank.
Just hit 1000mi this morning. Can I finally WOT this thing now?!

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect

Quick summary:
  • Roof repainted
  • Glovebox door replaced
  • Tire rubbing: dealer couldn't duplicate, although after having it been there at the dealership, neither can I! Perhaps it self-clearanced :p
I'm also having an issue with the balance/fader controls. I don't have the arrows that let you fine tune the controls. I can drag the two axis dot on the diagram of the cabin though.

diff.jpg

IMG_0538.JPG
They did a great job on the diff. I wouldn't complain about that either. I'm going to be doing this myself to mine. I completely forgot to bring it up to the dealer and I know they would have made it right (I mean they are right now repainting 2 of my doors for a small 1/2" scratch on the driver's door). It's just tooo simple for me to take it back again for them to do it. It's only been 2 days and I miss my truck.

Sponsored

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
22 days just for that? That's rough. I've had a little bit of front right binding when full lock reversing to the left, if you can picture it. I asked the dealer about it when I got the windshield redone and they didn't know. You mentioned running it in 4a in Sport and I think the auto lock hubs might not completely disengage or something, the service guy told me to run it in 4a more to see if it gets worse so then they can diagnose it but I'm not trying to screw up my truck just so I can be a guinea pig for them. I run Sport in the mountains a lot but I switch it to 2h, light snow I run it in 4a though and I think that might be where my bind came from, haven't noticed it in a couple months though. 2h in sport should also help your mpg over 4a.

OP
OP

pyrocpu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto OEM product planner
Yeap. 22 days. I get the feeling there was a backup at the body shop they sublet to. Labor shortages are a real thing right now.

The binding you mentioned was the same as I had, only on full left lock, reversing.

However, the only modes I've really driven in are Eco (probably 80%, due to going easy during the break-in period) and Normal. I did try Sport once, for a few miles and I do like the 4A function. But again, all my driving so far has been within a 30mi circle around my house.

OP
OP

pyrocpu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto OEM product planner
They did a great job on the diff. I wouldn't complain about that either. I'm going to be doing this myself to mine. I completely forgot to bring it up to the dealer and I know they would have made it right (I mean they are right now repainting 2 of my doors for a small 1/2" scratch on the driver's door). It's just tooo simple for me to take it back again for them to do it. It's only been 2 days and I miss my truck.
Totally can't complain. If I were in my 20s still, I'd have just gone under the truck myself with a wire wheel/cup on my drill + a couple of rattle cans, but then again, I couldn't have afforded this truck in my 20s. Hell, it's expensive enough as it is today as a grown-*** man!

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat

Quick summary:
  • Roof repainted
  • Glovebox door replaced

diff.jpg

IMG_0538.JPG
I noticed that my balance and fade arrows disappeared after my last OTA update. Maybe they’ll come back some day.

ShadowFox

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Eddie Bauer Expedition, 2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
USAF
Do your headlights still have dynamic bending?

and did the glovebox have the wiring laid to be able to just add an LED or is it missing the light + associated wiring?
Sponsored