Sponsored

My Rear Window Got Smashed. Do I have Privacy Glass?

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
So I've had my F150 less than 48 and some asshole smashed my rear driver side window in my driveway to get to a bag that had nothing of value.

So trying to get quotes for replacement and all the shops want to know if the truck has Privacy. I've got a Carbonized Gray Lariat. I'm pretty sure it has Privacy Glass but the features on Ford's site mentions the rear window is privacy glass, but doesn't mention whether the rear side windows are.

Also I'm not sure whether it's worth it to ask for the Genuine Ford brand window. I'm kind of tempted to since this so new, but it's ~$200 more (~$250 vs ~$450).

Also not sure if there is anything I need to look for interns of the quality of the glass manufacturer.

Ford F-150 My Rear Window Got Smashed.  Do I have Privacy Glass? IMG_6694
Ford F-150 My Rear Window Got Smashed.  Do I have Privacy Glass? IMG_0379
Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
That sucks man. Really, really sucks, sorry.

When I had a windshield get cracked on my Subaru when it was less than a year old, I pressed on Progressive to use OEM glass. They did.

Since you have a 2021 truck, tell your insurance company you want it fixed at the dealer with OEM glass since it is less than a year old.

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Since you have a 2021 truck, tell your insurance company you want it fixed at the dealer with OEM glass since it is less than a year old.
Thanks. I've got a $500 deductible, so I'll likely be paying out of pocket anyways.

Is the dealer really worth it? See plenty of good Yelp reviews for auto glass places in my area. Yelp reviews are suspect, but I can't imagine a dealership being necessarily better.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Thanks. I've got a $500 deductible, so I'll likely be paying out of pocket anyways.

Is the dealer really worth it? See plenty of good Yelp reviews for auto glass places in my area. Yelp reviews are suspect, but I can't imagine a dealership being necessarily better.
Well, the only concern I'd have is they probably have to pull the interior panel. When I had the rear glass swapped out a couple times on my Silverado, they had their tech pull the panels, but had a glass company do the actual glass. So ymmv.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
That really sucks. I'm pretty sure if it's tinted then it's privacy glass. If it's not tinted then it's not. (just look at the opposite side's glass.)

Sponsored

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That really sucks. I'm pretty sure if it's tinted then it's privacy glass. If it's not tinted then it's not. (just look at the opposite side's glass.)
Yeah, one of the glass shops asked if it was "Green Tinted" or "Privacy Glass". I knew it was tinted but wasn't completely sure if it was "Green Tinted" and don't want the wrong glass installed on my new truck.

Others asked whether it was Clear or Tinted so maybe that shop was just weird.

how2now

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
nugget buster
That sucks dude... we have full glass coverage here in CT. Zero deductible.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
So I've had my F150 less than 48 and some asshole smashed my rear driver side window in my driveway to get to a bag that had nothing of value.

So trying to get quotes for replacement and all the shops want to know if the truck has Privacy. I've got a Carbonized Gray Lariat. I'm pretty sure it has Privacy Glass but the features on Ford's site mentions the rear window is privacy glass, but doesn't mention whether the rear side windows are.

Also I'm not sure whether it's worth it to ask for the Genuine Ford brand window. I'm kind of tempted to since this so new, but it's ~$200 more (~$250 vs ~$450).

Also not sure if there is anything I need to look for interns of the quality of the glass manufacturer.

IMG_6694.jpg
IMG_0379.jpg
I would insist on OEM and have the dealer do it. If you are not comfortable having your dealer do it for any reason, then find a good glass shop to do it. I would still use OEM in my opinion.

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Can your dealer tell you what you have by giving them your VIN?

Assholes man.

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Pretty sure you have privacy glass. Look at your passenger side rear window. If it's darker than the front window I would think you have privacy glass and would definitely get the OEM Ford glass. Nothing but the best for your new ride!

Sponsored

bwil85

First Name
Bj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I would insist on OEM and have the dealer do it. If you are not comfortable having your dealer do it for any reason, then find a good glass shop to do it. I would still use OEM in my opinion.

IMG_6694.jpg
IMG_0379.jpg

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pretty sure you have privacy glass. Look at your passenger side rear window. If it's darker than the front window I would think you have privacy glass and would definitely get the OEM Ford glass. Nothing but the best for your new ride!
Yeah, I just wasn't sure if there is a difference between privacy glass and tinted glass. i.e. is there tinted glass that's not privacy glass

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Yeah, I just wasn't sure if there is a difference between privacy glass and tinted glass. i.e. is there tinted glass that's not privacy glass
Auto manufacturers call it privacy since it is how the glass is made. Tinted means someone added film aftermarket.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Yeah, one of the glass shops asked if it was "Green Tinted" or "Privacy Glass". I knew it was tinted but wasn't completely sure if it was "Green Tinted" and don't want the wrong glass installed on my new truck.

Others asked whether it was Clear or Tinted so maybe that shop was just weird.
I think because the non tinted windows kind of have a green tint to them. But I'm not 100% sure that's what they mean, but that's my take on it.
Sponsored