OP

Josh35

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid SuperCrew 6.5box
Hi there. This powerboost concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
LOL you guys are useless and don’t help at all. Set up a file and that’s about it…
Sponsored

devern

First Name
Devern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A PowerBoost
Occupation
DevOps
Well it finally happened. Left us stranded good today and wasn't turning back on. 4 hours from home, across the border into the USA... Called roadside assistance for a boost, since the battery voltage was down to 11.6V and the sync system showed the "turning off to save battery". Wasn't able to jump the battery much to my surprise. Battery voltage as reported by the CANBUS while boosting was 12.4/12.5V, seems like it's *just* not enough for the PCM to pass its self-test.

LUCKILY we broke down within walking distance to O'Reillys and AutoZone. Picked up the last battery they had that fits, had what seemed like the longest 600meter walk back to the truck, and it came back to life after installing the replacement. If this problem doesn't come back, I will have to have some words with the lovely folks at Ford. This would have been a nightmare of a situation to navigate, given our trip itinerary. An AGM battery shouldn't have this kind of failure 378 days after being manufactured.

OleCuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch PowerBoost
Wish I could actually be helpful but all I can say is that this sucks very badly.

I don't know how your lemon law works but I'd be seriously considering pursuing that avenue.

devern

First Name
Devern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevOps
Wish I could actually be helpful but all I can say is that this sucks very badly.

I don't know how your lemon law works but I'd be seriously considering pursuing that avenue.
There's nothing much to do at this point, but I appreciate you taking the time to empathize. We've been extremely happy with the truck; for all of its faults lately, it's been 99.9% awesome as a daily driver.

I posted my update so that others who have this sort of problem have additional data points to go off. If it turns out being just a battery problem then this might just help some other poor soul that wins this awful lottery. I'll post again quoting my last response after a month or so if this doesn't return. If this gets more complicated well... my dealer has already been in contact with Ford's engineers about some things, so I trust that they will get to the bottom of it. I'm extremely fortunate to have a trustworthy Ford dealer with very experienced mechanics to handle my repairs.

Sky111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost Platinum, FX4/MaxTow/6.5
I strongly feel - based on a number of similar stories, that it is either Ford needs to get its act together and do a voluntary recall of all these PowerBoosts that are dying on owners, or face a class action law suit from our Americans friends.
Trucks that there were sold with bad batteries, must get a replacement with good ones BEFORE somebody gets stranded again.
All these battery drain issues must be resolved (this is how we end up with bad batteries to begin with)
Failure to charge the battery when engine is running - there is no bloody excuse to sell trucks like that to people...

I am without my truck 3rd week now :( - did not even get to enjoy my truck after long 9 months of waiting...

Sponsored

devern

First Name
Devern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevOps
Pretty sure our problem came back, since the check engine light is back on and some alerts came through on the FordPass app. Hasn't shown the same symptoms of not starting yet, seems like if it threw a code it happened overnight and went away...

How are you doing Sky111? Vehicle still in the shop?

Sky111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost Platinum, FX4/MaxTow/6.5
Thanks for asking Devern! My truck is fixed - looks like the dealership did proper investigation - all the problems where caused by Auxilary Battery Insulator.

While I was waiting for the truck just sitting at the dealership for the first 2 weeks, I purchased KAIWEETS Inrush Clamp Meter 1000A True RMS AC/DC Current Amp Meter, and I took the following measurements for 2 days while the truck was still in the dealership (yes I told service manager that I won't take my truck back until I see a confirmation that the issue is fixed for real):
- turn off the engine, open the hood
- lock the truck; first current measurement is ~12-10A (!!!)
- 5-10 min later: ~5-6A (still bad)
- 15 min later: 0.4A (pretty good!!!)
- first day I did take measurement after like 30 min, it was ~0.2A

So I did this experiment on Friday, and negotiated with the service manager that I will leave the truck overnight, and will re-check the battery next day (Saturday). And next day everything was the same as day before, so I consider issue fixed.
Let's hope nothing else breaks (fingers crossed).

Since the truck came home, I have not had any issues with battery. And this is with everything working, engine turning on and off as needed, AC blasting, and so on.

One thing I did notice - my CarPlay started glitching heavily - my iPhone does not detected occasionally, or even when it is detected, CarPlay won't kick in, audio from phone breaks, etc. - but that is a separate conversation.

My suggestion: get clamping meter, but make sure it can detect DC current (not all do). this way you can see if there is power drain happening with the engine off or not. Plus, you can use the same tool to measure voltage on the battery to see if it is low or something.

Have you tried to swap the main 12v battery?

devern

First Name
Devern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevOps
I'll have to pick one of those up! Yeah I've swapped the main 12V battery in the engine bay when we were stranded and the problem went away for the last week. It's definitely back now though, tried taking it for a drive since my last post a few hours ago and was greeted with all the same warnings. :cautious:

Thanks for posting your solution! That definitely sounds like a plausible explanation of why phantom drain could happen with this kind of configuration.

Mug Costanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat Powerboost
I didn't read through the whole thread so apologies if this has been asked, but those of you having issues like the OP said, did you tell Ford to look for rodent damage?

I had very similar issues about a year ago. It was cold out, drive my truck that night, parked in the drive way, the next moring all the lights and beeps go off and a huge list of things aren't working.

Took it to Ford, they had it for almost a week. Had special technicians, the whole works in. Turned out a rat chewed about 6 inches of a wire connecting all different parts. $800 and 6-7 days later, she was running like new.

devern

First Name
Devern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevOps
I didn't read through the whole thread so apologies if this has been asked, but those of you having issues like the OP said, did you tell Ford to look for rodent damage?

I had very similar issues about a year ago. It was cold out, drive my truck that night, parked in the drive way, the next moring all the lights and beeps go off and a huge list of things aren't working.

Took it to Ford, they had it for almost a week. Had special technicians, the whole works in. Turned out a rat chewed about 6 inches of a wire connecting all different parts. $800 and 6-7 days later, she was running like new.
Yes I have mentioned that as a possibility. In my case at least, it seems unlikely to be wiring harness damage of that nature, since the clearing the condition is repeatable. It's in today to have 22B08 performed (which will also fix my stuck OTA updates!!)

If I were to theorize--the gateway module being unable to update has been mentioned as the cause of the stuck OTA updates... from my understanding, the GWM is responsible for communicating with the plethora of vehicle submodules that aren't directly exposed to the CANBUS (there is a Rotunda kit to connect a breakout box to this module to run extended diagnostics on the other modules). Anyway, if the GWM is experiencing a condition where it needs its software re-flashed, it's certainly within the realm of possibility that the issue I'm having is caused by that module locking up. Unless the dashboard ECU communicates directly with the PCM and BCM.

All that being said, I wouldn't discount the possibility of wiring being damaged/corroded. I haven't seen any obvious damage through visual inspection without disassembly beyond removing the battery, but I'm also not a trained professional so...

Sponsored

devern

First Name
Devern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevOps
Well, that didn't quite go as planned. Dropped it off yesterday morning, and they ran into the problem when they tried to start the truck to move it in to the shop to do the work! I sure am relieved they got to experience the problem... now they've ordered a GWM (~1 week lead time I was pleasantly surprised to hear), and are going to thoroughly inspect the wiring harness. Picked up a loaner vehicle today, and they mentioned that it started up no problem today...

Will update again to let everyone know what the fix ends up being; I think we're finally at the point where the next time I drive my PB, this problem will be fixed for good!

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
Well it finally happened. Left us stranded good today and wasn't turning back on. 4 hours from home, across the border into the USA... Called roadside assistance for a boost, since the battery voltage was down to 11.6V and the sync system showed the "turning off to save battery". Wasn't able to jump the battery much to my surprise. Battery voltage as reported by the CANBUS while boosting was 12.4/12.5V, seems like it's *just* not enough for the PCM to pass its self-test.

LUCKILY we broke down within walking distance to O'Reillys and AutoZone. Picked up the last battery they had that fits, had what seemed like the longest 600meter walk back to the truck, and it came back to life after installing the replacement. If this problem doesn't come back, I will have to have some words with the lovely folks at Ford. This would have been a nightmare of a situation to navigate, given our trip itinerary. An AGM battery shouldn't have this kind of failure 378 days after being manufactured.
What is so stupid about this is the hybrid system can start the truck without the 12v battery...

devern

First Name
Devern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevOps
What is so stupid about this is the hybrid system can start the truck without the 12v battery...
Yeah I definitely see the irony here, but it will all make sense when the problem is fixed. Like I've said before, the truck has been 99% amazing.

The more I keep learning about this truck, the more impressed I get, quite frankly. I'm a little annoyed that not everything is exposed through the CANBUS, which effectively makes doing any advanced diagnostics to your own vehicle a very costly endeavor... Glad I have warranty!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Josh35

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid SuperCrew 6.5box
Update:
Have had the truck back for about 5000kms. So far so good, BUT, let’s not forget the issues mainly occurred in colder weather.

Multiple modules were replaced and a new main wiring harness was put in. The repair is currently listed as “open” till the cold weather hits again around Christmas.

Ford has given me 7/160,000km extended PremiumCare Warranty free of charge. Also, if the issue reappears in winter my rental replacement will be covered no matter the length of time…
Extended 3rd party Warranty I was sold by Grimsby Ford is the only pending issue now. I’d like the full $3100+hst to back I paid for that, dealer suggests I’ll only get a pro-rated $2000. Regional sales rep is working on a solution for this and states they shouldn’t be selling that warranty without offering Ford PremiumCare first. (I was dooped into thinking the warranty I bought was a Ford warranty).
Updated to 7 year / 200,000km warranty.

Ford rep looking to reimburse for the 3 months I was without the truck/Grimsby selling me a phony warranty. Payment forgiveness or service credits.

Truck is running great so far. One small rattle from the dash on bumps where the tech probably missed a clip.
WINTER will be the ultimate test of the repair as that’s when the issue primarily occurred.

I hope the others that are posting here find solutions to their truck problems, as the truck is actually amazing to drive.
I’ll be embarking on a East Coast road trip at the end of July/August and will update everyone with how the truck did.

cheers 🍻
Sponsored