Josh35

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid SuperCrew 6.5box
DUDE!

I told you, with a trade number of $71000 that works out to you getting $74550 with the tax benefit.

If you only paid $75,000 for it, Just trade the thing in and get another truck!!

And neither me nor Pungo would be in your situation because we would have traded off the "Lemon" and already be in a new truck!
Hmm how would you be in a new truck when it’s a 6-9month wait on new orders…
Or you would settle on a truck you don’t want that’s on a lot?

as per a previous post on this thread there are no SuperCrew 6.5ft box Lariats in Ontario
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A EB BAP (ordered 1/15)
@Josh35 any updates on the truck?

OP
OP

Josh35

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Josh35 any updates on the truck?
Yes.
New wiring harness and all was “fixed” picked it up last Friday and all was okay for a couple days….now it’s back at the dealer with;

Check Engine Light
Transmission not in Park
Hill Start Assist not Available

New Ford rep is on the case, I can’t divulge too much more into what’s going on there with negotiations.

tofan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Electric Lariat
Yes.
New wiring harness and all was “fixed” picked it up last Friday and all was okay for a couple days….now it’s back at the dealer with;

Check Engine Light
Transmission not in Park
Hill Start Assist not Available

New Ford rep is on the case, I can’t divulge too much more into what’s going on there with negotiations.
Josh,

I don't know what condition your truck is in, but you need to go talk to the dealer mechanic working on it. Please ask them to look at, undo and redo EVERY SINGLE GROUND in and on that truck. This may sound dumb, but what you are experiencing is something that many of us who bought 2011-2012 F250/F350/F450 experienced with somewhat similar issues. An engineer(not a Ford engineer, just in general) eventually had the same issue with his truck, tore his entire truck apart and starting hooking up oscilloscopes, signal generators and some other things, and he found out where the problem was. For those trucks it was a grounding point right next to the brake pedal, that either wasn't making good ground connection, or the screw would come loose. If I remember right, Ford even made a TBS because of this guy, and it instantly solved i would say 9/10 issues for the affected trucks. Again I didn't read the entire thread, but the trucks dash would go nuts, power train faults etc. If you talk to the dealer, just mention that the CANBUS system goes crazy when grounding faults start happening, and he should check and redo all grounds. It might just help, might not.

OP
OP

Josh35

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Josh,

I don't know what condition your truck is in, but you need to go talk to the dealer mechanic working on it. Please ask them to look at, undo and redo EVERY SINGLE GROUND in and on that truck. This may sound dumb, but what you are experiencing is something that many of us who bought 2011-2012 F250/F350/F450 experienced with somewhat similar issues. An engineer(not a Ford engineer, just in general) eventually had the same issue with his truck, tore his entire truck apart and starting hooking up oscilloscopes, signal generators and some other things, and he found out where the problem was. For those trucks it was a grounding point right next to the brake pedal, that either wasn't making good ground connection, or the screw would come loose. If I remember right, Ford even made a TBS because of this guy, and it instantly solved i would say 9/10 issues for the affected trucks. Again I didn't read the entire thread, but the trucks dash would go nuts, power train faults etc. If you talk to the dealer, just mention that the CANBUS system goes crazy when grounding faults start happening, and he should check and redo all grounds. It might just help, might not.
I’ve talked to the mechanic on many occasions. The truck has been “fixed” once again but with an UNVERIFIED a repair that will stay open till winter when the conditions arise that first caused the electrical issue.

However….. new Ford rep is working on a resolution to get me out of this truck. No Lemon Laws in Canada but the rep agrees and admits that this is just too much.

Another update to come next week.

Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I’ve talked to the mechanic on many occasions. The truck has been “fixed” once again but with an UNVERIFIED a repair that will stay open till winter when the conditions arise that first caused the electrical issue.

However….. new Ford rep is working on a resolution to get me out of this truck. No Lemon Laws in Canada but the rep agrees and admits that this is just too much.

Another update to come next week.
Any updates on your truck?

DOUGIE0426

First Name
JOSH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 POWERBOOST XLT CREW 2WD
@Josh35 I had the same issue with my 21 PB...my wife was taking the kiddo to school and had barely made it out of the driveway and POOF...whole thing was dead. In the middle of a (busy-ish) residential street...no windows, mirrors, radio, anything electric besides the hazards...we were 2 minutes away from having the PD tow it to get it out of the road and I tried one more time to start it up and VOILA. Started right up and was fine...I parked it in the driveway and waited an hour or so before taking it to the dealership and they didnt have a clue, couldnt even tell anything had happened. My only clue is that is really cold (for Texas) that day, like in the teens from what I remember...I've heard stories about electric cars not doing well in the cold but I always thought it was just that - stories. Now I'm left wondering maybe SOME of the PB's may not like the cold...or the battery hadnt recharged properly...or something. It was wild, man.

OP
OP

Josh35

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update:
Have had the truck back for about 5000kms. So far so good, BUT, let’s not forget the issues mainly occurred in colder weather.

Multiple modules were replaced and a new main wiring harness was put in. The repair is currently listed as “open” till the cold weather hits again around Christmas.

Ford has given me 7/160,000km extended PremiumCare Warranty free of charge. Also, if the issue reappears in winter my rental replacement will be covered no matter the length of time…
Extended 3rd party Warranty I was sold by Grimsby Ford is the only pending issue now. I’d like the full $3100+hst to back I paid for that, dealer suggests I’ll only get a pro-rated $2000. Regional sales rep is working on a solution for this and states they shouldn’t be selling that warranty without offering Ford PremiumCare first. (I was dooped into thinking the warranty I bought was a Ford warranty).

devern

First Name
Devern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A PowerBoost
Occupation
DevOps
Was fixing this break in the wiring harness the fix for you? My 2021 F-150 Lariat PB is doing this *exact* sequence intermittently; 3 times last week. My OBD tool has seen the battery voltage dip to 11.9V when it happens, but I suspect that is just a symptom of the issue (dealer tested the battery and it was well within spec). Don't really want to go digging in the harness looking for breaks... maybe it's time to get out the multimeter.

Sponsored

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
Yes, they spliced the wire back together and this resolved the issue. but the issue was not intermittent. It was buried below the fuse box from what I could tell. It must have taken a very skilled mechanic to find it.

Supercub

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost 2022 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
My 2021 powerboost did pretty much the same thing. We went on a long day trip, 1200 miles in one day. The temps were 15 to -40 on the trip. O ce back, parked the truck and the next morning the dash lit up but no start. Screwd around trying all kinds of combinations and saw all the warning messages. Tow truck showed up and we tried once again to get it to start. No joy and then it did. Still cones all over the place. Decided to drive it to the dealer and it totally crapped a half mile from them. It did inform me one thing at a time was shutting down till it died on the worst possible curve. 10 deg at that time and took 1 hr for a hook to show up.
ultimately it was the battery! Yup, as many have said it was kaput. Why would be the next question that comes to mind. It turns out that they ferry these trucks out to the fields they park them in using transport batteries. They pull them as they sit for months waiting for chips. When their turn comes, they put another transport battery in and take them to the final assembly place. They are SUPPOSED to put in a new motorcraft battery and learn it to the vehicle. This was not done and it had an off label transport battery in it. Well used and not up to the task for that truck.
They figured this out right off the bay, or knew, as it was down for two days only.
Those with this issue would be advised to check what you have and mention it to those dealers that aren’t seeing enough of these to know.
Hope
This helps Someone.

Sky111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost Platinum, FX4/MaxTow/6.5
Was fixing this break in the wiring harness the fix for you? My 2021 F-150 Lariat PB is doing this *exact* sequence intermittently; 3 times last week. My OBD tool has seen the battery voltage dip to 11.9V when it happens, but I suspect that is just a symptom of the issue (dealer tested the battery and it was well within spec). Don't really want to go digging in the harness looking for breaks... maybe it's time to get out the multimeter.
Oh man... my PB died the same way while I was driving on a highway... only 978km! I barely managed to pull on emergency lane, the moment I stopped, the truck put itself into park and shut down.
Prior to that, I got low battery warning but I was able to start the engine with no hesitation; so I decided that I can drive it home, but as I was driving the truck, all the systems started shutting down. The damn truck instead of charging the battery, continued to drain it, and and when the voltage dropped below 8v, naturally all systems failed.

The truck is at the dealership for more than a week now, and they won't touch it until this Friday :( - they are that backlogged.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My 2021 powerboost did pretty much the same thing. We went on a long day trip, 1200 miles in one day. The temps were 15 to -40 on the trip. O ce back, parked the truck and the next morning the dash lit up but no start. Screwd around trying all kinds of combinations and saw all the warning messages. Tow truck showed up and we tried once again to get it to start. No joy and then it did. Still cones all over the place. Decided to drive it to the dealer and it totally crapped a half mile from them. It did inform me one thing at a time was shutting down till it died on the worst possible curve. 10 deg at that time and took 1 hr for a hook to show up.
ultimately it was the battery! Yup, as many have said it was kaput. Why would be the next question that comes to mind. It turns out that they ferry these trucks out to the fields they park them in using transport batteries. They pull them as they sit for months waiting for chips. When their turn comes, they put another transport battery in and take them to the final assembly place. They are SUPPOSED to put in a new motorcraft battery and learn it to the vehicle. This was not done and it had an off label transport battery in it. Well used and not up to the task for that truck.
They figured this out right off the bay, or knew, as it was down for two days only.
Those with this issue would be advised to check what you have and mention it to those dealers that aren’t seeing enough of these to know.
Hope
This helps Someone.
Hi there. This powerboost concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

devern

First Name
Devern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A PowerBoost
Occupation
DevOps
Yes, they spliced the wire back together and this resolved the issue. but the issue was not intermittent. It was buried below the fuse box from what I could tell. It must have taken a very skilled mechanic to find it.
Fortunately (and perhaps also unfortunately), it seems unlikely that I have a broken wire in my case, given that the condition goes away. If I had to guess, either *something* is causing a phantom drain (maybe the stuck 1.7.1 OTA update--I have those symptoms too), or the battery control module has a "problem". Watching the voltages when the condition clears (by turning the truck off and on a couple of times), the 12V battery initially dips below 12V, but then reads 14.5V... almost as if the battery control module finished rebooting itself or coming out of deep sleep or something and is now charging the 12V battery again. Once it's working and the truck is on, it doesn't drop below 12.8/12.9V, and will jump up to 14.5V if I turn on all the heating elements.
Sponsored