My Issues...

jscott60

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
This is my first Ford I have purchased. A 2021 F150 Lariat Antimatter Blue. It is a gorgeous truck, the color is beautiful in the sunlight, looks black otherwise. I have had it for almost 2 weeks. Oddly I got rid of a Tahoe because of it's many issues. The issues with the F150 started with the rain sensing not working at all, it started to rain as we were coming back from visiting my daughter at college. So at this point I had only two speeds normal and fast. Sadly more issues came up. Here they are….

As stated, Rain Sensing does not work

Auto High Beams do not work

Alarm has gone off several times

(Opti-Coat and Xpel were applied at about the 8 day mark)

(Tonneau cover installed)

This past Wednesday I stopped into the dealership and discussed the rain sensing with the service department, and we scheduled a Monday Drop Off.

I had only driven the truck once at night up to this point, Then I noticed ….

Driver side fog light comes on then off comes on then off, repeatedly as I drive. Auto High Beam not working. When the fog light brightened I stopped the truck and got out to look once it was on. I noticed the driver side was bright and the passenger was off.

Rust on Axle

Two poltergeist situations….

Came home at night (Thursday), yesterday. Noticed the fog lights going on and off again. Pulled into driveway and shut off truck. Got out of the truck and noticed the Head and Taillights did not go off. Waited 15 minutes and they still would not go off. Started truck and shut off. Lights stayed on. Shocked that my goto did not work I tried every setting on the headlight control, cycled through all four settings. Nothing. Lights stayed on. After several more attempts with the headlight control it finally went off. During this time a few weird things with the info screen, slow to start and a few flashes. Then it came on.

Because I read on these forums about the alarm issue, at this point I thought I had a great idea and shut off the Alarm System in the settings. Genius!

I did call Ford at this point. Not much help but said there was a known issue with the fog lights.

The next day (today Friday)…Earlier in the evening the alarm went off (how I thought, my genius move was somehow foiled). I shut it off in disgust. I then went into the house and went upstairs, about 20 minutes later my wife comes up panicked, she was walking the dogs, and she said the truck just started on it’s own when she was outside. She said the alarm went off then stopped. Then the headlights and rear lights started flashing and then the engine idled. Then she said it just stopped. I am not sure if it was angry or exhausted. Nice, I will sleep in fear that the truck is going to awaken in Adaptive Cruise Control and terrorize the neighborhood. Another Stephen King Novel. WTF.

I do love the truck It rides nice and looks great so I hope this can be corrected without much headache.

(Yes I double checked the vehicle settings after each of the issues occurred and everything looked correct)

Jon
Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I thought my auto hIgh beam headlights did not work till I realized they only come on above 32 mph. My alarm went off once but just got an OTA software update yesterday that hopefully solves that problem.

Ford F-150 My Issues... 1617473707851

Last edited:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
The very first thing I turned OFF when I got the truck home.
I’m rural and most of my night driving is below 50 until I get to the freeway.
On low beams, I can spot wildlife on the side of the road by the twinkles in their eyes on low beams. I don’t get that with the high beams

OP
OP

jscott60

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
They had it for 4 days updating software. Got it back today. As far as the auto High Beam, I was in more than a few situations where it should have been on. They said they addressed each of my concerns with the updates. And though they said these issues on one vehicle was unusual they seemed to believe that the issues would be resolved with the several updates. We will see. I do love the truck so fingers crossed.

Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
They had it for 4 days updating software. Got it back today. As far as the auto High Beam, I was in more than a few situations where it should have been on. They said they addressed each of my concerns with the updates. And though they said these issues on one vehicle was unusual they seemed to believe that the issues would be resolved with the several updates. We will see. I do love the truck so fingers crossed.
Hey Jon, hope this fixes it for you. Let us know if it doesn’t!

OP
OP

jscott60

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
Well, things aren't fixed...

The driver side fog light still goes off and on. This now seems to possibly be a mechanical issue as they have done software updates.

I am not sure about the Auto High Beam issue just yet as I was only driving around in my area which is light very well. However I did notice the fog light going off and on.

This is weird. So I have all my settings that I want on set with the toggle switch illuminated (button to the right and blue), I know this from other functions that work, like the auto fold side mirrors. However my issue with rain sensing is reversed. If the toggle button, to what I "assume" is on and is illuminated (the button is on the right and blue) rain sensing does not work. However if I toggle it off (grayed out) it works. But functions that work are illuminated blue with the button to the right. Regardless something seems flipped.

I am not convinced the lane departure warning works since nothing happens if I cross a line with or without the turn signal on. But again it is blue not gray. It was set to normal then high sensitivity with no reaction from the vehicle. I am not sure what triggers that feature but will check that out.

Then today I set on cruise control, I use adaptive, I got a warning that the front camera failed and needs servicing. So I flipped that off. However the camera appears functioning when I parked. And then later on when I put cruise control back on, the message did not reappear. It seems to be fine. But this does not make be feel comfortable.

I have all the collision warnings etc set to on. But how do I even know they will work.

They did not do anything with the axle rust, as he said it was just surface rust and I could wipe it of. Apparently they could not do this, during the 4 days in was in their possession. If this was my only issue I would not care. But this now seems annoying that Ford thinks this is something I should take care of myself. I am sure this isnt a feature on GM or Ram.

Also I am not sure but I would expect a loaner vehicle for extended stays especially on a brand new vehicle. This was not offered on the first 4 day lay over, I will ask next time. Though they may not have thought it would have taken 4 days, I would think that would just be a consideration on a brand new vehicle as a courtesy.

So I will call in on Monday and perhaps Ford's customer care, if I can find that number.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX

The driver side fog light still goes off and on. This now seems to possibly be a mechanical issue as they have done software updates.

I am not sure about the Auto High Beam issue just yet as I was only driving around in my area which is light very well. However I did notice the fog light going off and on.

This is weird. So I have all my settings that I want on set with the toggle switch illuminated (button to the right and blue), I know this from other functions that work, like the auto fold side mirrors. However my issue with rain sensing is reversed. If the toggle button, to what I "assume" is on and is illuminated (the button is on the right and blue) rain sensing does not work. However if I toggle it off (grayed out) it works. But functions that work are illuminated blue with the button to the right. Regardless something seems flipped.

I am not convinced the lane departure warning works since nothing happens if I cross a line with or without the turn signal on. But again it is blue not gray. It was set to normal then high sensitivity with no reaction from the vehicle. I am not sure what triggers that feature but will check that out.

Then today I set on cruise control, I use adaptive, I got a warning that the front camera failed and needs servicing. So I flipped that off. However the camera appears functioning when I parked. And then later on when I put cruise control back on, the message did not reappear. It seems to be fine. But this does not make be feel comfortable.

I have all the collision warnings etc set to on. But how do I even know they will work.

They did not do anything with the axle rust, as he said it was just surface rust and I could wipe it of. Apparently they could not do this, during the 4 days in was in their possession. If this was my only issue I would not care. But this now seems annoying that Ford thinks this is something I should take care of myself. I am sure this isnt a feature on GM or Ram.

Also I am not sure but I would expect a loaner vehicle for extended stays especially on a brand new vehicle. This was not offered on the first 4 day lay over, I will ask next time. Though they may not have thought it would have taken 4 days, I would think that would just be a consideration on a brand new vehicle as a courtesy.

So I will call in on Monday and perhaps Ford's customer care, if I can find that number.
No loaner vehicle? That’s not right at all man. I guess you’ve managed with another vehicle or some kind of arrangements to get around but that shouldn’t be something for you to figure out after buying a new truck.

Sorry to hear about your nightmare situation. I don’t know how you haven’t whooped anyone’s ass yet. There’s just so many issues.
In all seriousness it sounds like some paranormal stuff. Sounds far fetched but that’s how extreme those issues are.

But you should not be left without a loaner That’s ridiculous

Sponsored

OP
OP

jscott60

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
No loaner vehicle? That’s not right at all man. I guess you’ve managed with another vehicle or some kind of arrangements to get around but that shouldn’t be something for you to figure out after buying a new truck.

Sorry to hear about your nightmare situation. I don’t know how you haven’t whooped anyone’s ass yet. There’s just so many issues.
In all seriousness it sounds like some paranormal stuff. Sounds far fetched but that’s how extreme those issues are.

But you should not be left without a loaner That’s ridiculous
Thanks, I wasnt concerned about a loaner as I thought we were looking at a day at most. And I have access to other vehicles. But with 4 drivers after awhile things were getting iffy.

Yeah I am going to reach out to the GM of the dealership on Monday and Ford CC.

I will keep you posted. Thanks.

Drandpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Just to make sure. You are aware there are fog lights and cornering lights right next to the fog lights, and the cornering lights will light up when you turn the steering wheel left or right? From the driver's seat it is easier to see the driver's side light up, than the passenger. To see this, at night pull up to a wall, while still in drive turn the wheel left and notice the cornering light will turn on and vice-versa.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150

In regards to the fog light issue, is it possible it is the adaptive lights working? On most Lariats and higher trim levels the fog lights will come on whichever direction you turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. For example, turn the wheel left, the left fog light will come on an the opposite for the right side.

Sorry you’re having all the other issues Jscott.

20acrefarms

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Atlas, 2023 F150 XL
Occupation
Industrial Fire Fighter
I had a Ram 1500 for six years that had auto headlights and I never thought I had an issue with them. I experienced some of the same things people have described but I chalked it up to the fact that it is a camera that has to process a lot of information in a constantly changing environment. I feel like something as small as a road sign angle that reflected the light weird or overly bright street lights would kick off the high beams. For six years I was annoyed when I went to our barn at night and wasn’t able to shine my brights into the field because of the bright pole light next to the barn. If the expectation is for these systems to work perfectly every single time you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

OP
OP

jscott60

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
That is interesting about the fog lights and cornering lights. I assume these are physically different lights. I did not know that. However this was happening on straight stretches. Perhaps a delay. I will pay closer attention. When my truck was parked in the driveway one light was off the other was on. When I brought this into service I made sure they knew that I was not completely familiar with the vehicle and perhaps these are “features”.
I also do not believe the rust is a feature. I just do not believe rust should be there. I did read somewhere that the rust is only on the Dearborne vehicles I forget the other location they were built, maybe Missouri. I have read from some owners they are not concerned some are.

Thanks everyone for responding.
Sponsored