First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
It has to be an internal issue - it's not a federal safety standard. Other vehicles, such as Tesla, don't have this restriction.
Agreed! For some reason they feel like twisting your whole body is less dangerous than a simple glance at a screen while still keeping your body facing forward? It sure seems far safer to be able to monitor (while driving) your bed load or customer placed camera without twisting. Otherwise, the rear view mirror should be considered a dangerous distraction!
Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
This is cool, my powerboost has some goofy features and isn't getting me the mileage I expected. I was wishing I'd gone EB ?

The windows drive me nuts only having 2 auto up- although I've had glitches 2 times now where auto up doesn't work. And the window takes several attempts to close. I hold it to close manually and when it gets to the top it goes back down 2"... super maddening since the first time was in line at a car wash!
Another thing to go with auto windows for me would be all 4 doors unlocking the truck not just the front 2...

Not sure if it's a powerboost tranny issue due to electric motor or if others have experienced it, but several times now the tranny doesn't engage/shift immediately when I go from reverse to drive or the other way around and it will grind and jerk.

The floaty suspension is very upsetting too

Did the overall lack of any customization/option come up? I hate there are so few wheel options and it's like Ford is scared of black... it's what is in right now and so many people want it, I hate chrome. It was the entire reason I didn't go platinum, and the badging online before trucks rolled out looked black for lariat sport. You get it though and they are a dark grey- I mean cmon. Black badging is standard across the competition. Don't get me started on the "dark alloy wheels" either lol. Cmon Ford Black.... please.
It's very sad to see someone so miserable with their decision.
There are many on here very pleased with their PB.
Hope something good happens for you soon!
I just wish my PB would get here!!!!!

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I was thinking about this comment, somewhere they know that their customers seem to want a little bit bigger truck and/or wheels and tires. I’m not sure what the percentage of raptor owners, but I know everybody that I know who has a raptor including when I owned one at two different times, I never drove the thing off a curb, Yet I loved the big beefy hard to get truck. I think that’s the thing with F150 owners that want to level or lift their trucks to gain a few inches. I’m assuming the reason Ford doesn’t mass produce something like this is because of liability.
I think liability is part of it. I think what irritates the engineers the most is the fact that they engineered these vehicles to come with some rake for a reason and we go and raise the fronts and screw with their engineering. Those engineers see things differently than most of us. When we raise them we allow more wind underneath the vehicles which creates lift and effects mpg (they work really hard to keep mpg up) and performance at highway speed. If you tow a size able trailer with a level it can really get crazy. But I’ll be the first to tell you, the level looks real good. It should be a factory option or part of a package.

Sbdavis1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 Lariat ordered 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Financial Planner, Lawyer
The rear doors not opening when I have the key fob in my pocket drives me crazy. I have two kids and I ALWAYS go to the rear door first and am pretty sure I will years from now as my wife’s Expedition has this feature. There is no reason not to add it but for cost and for what we are paying that seems just crazy not to have it. (And the RUST.)

NO LIMITS

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Self Employed
Just got done with a 75 minute interview with Ford engineers. I wanted to discuss some of things covered. The engineers had really good questions and seemed genuinely interested in feedback and making the truck better. I won't write an essay here but here are the issues we talked about.

• Rust on the axles. I mentioned how, after spending $81000 on a platinum truck (with mods), that every time I looked underneath my truck, seeing rust there after only 3 months of ownership left a really bad taste in my mouth as a loyal Ford customer. I brought up the official response Ford gave to this issue, and mentioned how a massive gash across the sync screen wouldn't affect performance or longevity of the item, but nevertheless is unsightly and shouldn't be there. They said Ford is aggressively looking into this and hinted at something coming soon, but stopped short of giving any promise of anything concrete. We shall see. They are certainly feeling the pressure and power of social media.
  • Recall on the trailer and mirror modules was discussed.
  • Transmission performance
  • Ride quality and issues, turning radius, adaptive steering, and cabin noise.
  • Spoke in length to the powertrain engineer about the Ecoboost, the power stroke, and lack of pro power with the 3.0 diesel. I also flatly told him I think the 3.0 diesel is the best engine offered in the F150 and would argue that all day long. I mentioned how lack of pro power, diesel delays, personal circumstances, and production delays forced me to go with the 3.5. Also begged engineers not to give up on the 3.0 and that if they do, to give a brother a heads up so he can buy the last one.
  • All of my interior issues were discussed, including rear sliding window rattling, trim fitment issues, and passenger lumbar problems.
  • Interior styling, likes and dislikes were discussed. I mentioned the 18 speaker system not being loud enough and how the front passengers get over 50% of the speakers and back is kinda left out.
  • Build quality, 360 camera, driver assist features (especially the KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE WHEEL message), all digital tachometer, and interior button placement were all discussed, as well as what I liked compared to the 18' platinum I had.
  • Pro power onboard was discussed. I adamantly requested, on behalf of many forum members as well, that an update be applied to make it default to OFF when the ignition is cycled for me to choose when it comes ON, not the other way around. They agreed with me about my point and said the team responsible for this would hear about it for sure.
  • Auto Start Stop was discussed and how they are getting a lot of feedback about people wanting it to default to off. Unfortunately they cant make that happen as it would jeopardize their EPA credits against emissions.
  • Exterior lighting was discussed and I mentioned how the DRL's are bright enough on a side profile and how the rear C-clamp lights on the taillights should be on in conjunction with the DRL's upfront to give the truck a uniform look.
  • Power tail gate pros and cons were discussed
  • The amount of chrome on the platinum trim, inside and out, was discussed. Apparently they get a lot of feedback about this as well, as many are saying "cut down on the chrome".
  • Seat comfort and styling were discussed.
  • Features I wanted and features I wish the truck didn't have were touched on as well.
  • My truck in comparison to the Ram 1500 I test drove before buying the F-150 was discussed.
  • The engineers also asked me why I leveled my truck lol. This was a funny question given how many do.
  • Power running boards were discussed. I did mention they are louder than the outgoing ones as mentioned by other forum members and how the courtesy approach feature get confused when I locked the truck and start to walk away, only to redeploy them immediately.
  • I mentioned the lack of 4 one touch window switches on the driver door and how my 2003 Jetta had that, but my platinum truck doesn't.
  • Mentioned that the courtesy unlock on the door handles should be extended to the rear doors as well, and this is a feature many wish they had.
  • Ford pass app and functionality was discussed.
  • All digital instructions manual was discussed.
  • Sync 4 and apple car play use was discussed, including performance and layout of control and menus.
  • The access to the wireless charging pad was touched on too and how placement wasn't ideal.
  • Zone lighting use and the update coming for the battery drain issues was discussed.

Overall, I left the interview feeling like I was heard and that they genuinely are trying to make the truck and experience better overall. Im glad I did the interview with them!
Thank you for taking the time to do this; I concur with most of the issues you cited. Two more minor but annoying issues, which I would welcome other members' feedback on: 1)The leather wrapped steering wheel has a small but very detectable "bump" on the underside at about the 5:30 posiiton, right where I put my finger when driving on the highway. Feels like a pebble under the leather. Anyone else notice this? 2) Poor fitment of right front fender where it meets door and pillar. The "point" appears to stick out and not in plane with the other panels. My body shop guy concurs, but said a very expensive fix. This is my eighth Ford truck over last 40 years and cost more than the first seven combined, so would like to have things right.

Ford F-150 My Interview With Ford F-150 Engineers - Summary IMG_4967

Ford F-150 My Interview With Ford F-150 Engineers - Summary IMG_4968

Ford F-150 My Interview With Ford F-150 Engineers - Summary IMG_4969

Ford F-150 My Interview With Ford F-150 Engineers - Summary IMG_4970

Sponsored

truck trader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Outdoor Industry
I do appreciate you taking the time to do this. I so wish I had the opportunity! I'm on my second 2021 F-150 and I can honestly say I'm not happy.

I'm still dealing with comfort issues. My King Ranch seat was a fiasco from the factory. Traded down to a XLT and although better, still not great. The seats are noticeably smaller than previous years and feel as though you're slightly turned to the right. The arrangement of the gas pedal and console may have something to do with it. They could easily shave a couple inches off the sides on the console and add a couple inches to the drivers seat base width. An inch or so in length wouldn't hurt either. I know many of you are happy with their seats, but I think it's a complete disaster and will end up costing Ford business in the long run. Wanna bet the next generation has an even smaller seat? I won't buy another new F150. I already have a 2022 Super Duty on order.

On the positive side, I like everything else about the truck. The technology is great and I'm satisfied with the ride. I'm still dealing with a window issue and have some rust underneath, but those issues can be resolved (I hope).

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I do appreciate you taking the time to do this. I so wish I had the opportunity! I'm on my second 2021 F-150 and I can honestly say I'm not happy.

I'm still dealing with comfort issues. My King Ranch seat was a fiasco from the factory. Traded down to a XLT and although better, still not great. The seats are noticeably smaller than previous years and feel as though you're slightly turned to the right. The arrangement of the gas pedal and console may have something to do with it. They could easily shave a couple inches off the sides on the console and add a couple inches to the drivers seat base width. An inch or so in length wouldn't hurt either. I know many of you are happy with their seats, but I think it's a complete disaster and will end up costing Ford business in the long run. Wanna bet the next generation has an even smaller seat? I won't buy another new F150. I already have a 2022 Super Duty on order.

On the positive side, I like everything else about the truck. The technology is great and I'm satisfied with the ride. I'm still dealing with a window issue and have some rust underneath, but those issues can be resolved (I hope).
Did the trade in cost you much? Sorry to hear this tbh. I’m eyeing the 2023 super duty tremor is my Ecoboost continues to guzzle.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 2018 Explorer Platinum
What is it that causes the rust on the axle? I was thinking about buying a KR or Platinum. But I have a 2018 XLT with leather and liner that the axle looks brand new and the katskin leather is extremely comfortable. Making me rethink the whole idea... ?

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Unfortunately, like the auto start stop thing, I don’t think they have a say (safety wise) in letting people use them at higher speeds.
They can be used. In a Tesla, the rear facing side camera is enabled when the turn signal for that side is turned on. Turn on the left turn signal, the left rear facing side camera pops up, at any speed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
They can be used. In a Tesla, the rear facing side camera is enabled when the turn signal for that side is turned on. Turn on the left turn signal, the left rear facing side camera pops up, at any speed.
Using them for changing lanes (facing back) is not the same functionality that the 360 camera currently has on the F150 (don’t face back and aren’t used for changing lanes). Rear center camera is used for cargo, not for maneuvering the vehicle safely.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Using them for changing lanes (facing back) is not the same functionality that the 360 camera currently has on the F150 (don’t face back and aren’t used for changing lanes). Rear center camera is used for cargo, not for maneuvering the vehicle safely.
Yes, there are the 360 cameras, but the F-150 also has the rear facing side cameras. They are what create that “down the sides of the trailer” view.

But I would argue that the bed camera and customer installed trailer camera are helpful in maneuvering the vehicle.

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
What is it that causes the rust on the axle? I was thinking about buying a KR or Platinum. But I have a 2018 XLT with leather and liner that the axle looks brand new and the katskin leather is extremely comfortable. Making me rethink the whole idea... ?
There appears to be a vendor issue; rear axle paint is generally thin, and none in some areas. I expect this will be fixed soon. I just painted mine, not difficult.....

TxTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Great info and sounds like a cool opportunity. In discussing Sync4 and CarPlay, was there any mention of allow it to go full screen. I would think this could be accomplished OTA if its on their radar.
Sponsored