Sponsored

My first truck. Where do I store my stuff in it?

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
Hi!

The 2021 F-150 will be my first truck ever and I'm very excited to (eventually) get it. Stupid question, but Im wondering, since trucks have no trunks, where do people actually store their various auto-related items in these vehicles? Since mine is a gasoline model with the Pro Power, I can't get the lockable storage unit under the back seat because it has the inverter located in that area already. That being the case, where can I store a gallon of windshield washer, emergency road kit, etc. without leaving that stuff simply laying on the floor in the back?

Thank you
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Might be able to build one for under the passenger rear seat.
My 98 Chev has a small box under the hood where I keep a funnel, bottle of power steering fluid & a never used emergency qt of oil.
Pretty sure there is no room for Ford to put something like that in the new trucks, but they really should consider that for upcoming models.
Has worked out to be pretty handy in the Chevy.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
There’s really no reason to store a gallon of washer fluid in your new F150 because the system itself holds almost a gallon so leave that at home.

You have rear under seat storage and you can also put stuff behind the rear seats.

Also, the aftermarket will have something to go under the rear seat soon.

Take a look at what’s currently available from Husky and Du-Ha for the current F150 because it’s only a matter of time before they have something for the new F150.

Don’t stress yourself by overthinking this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jfdube999

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
Thank you for your input. Our situation may be a bit different. Being from Montreal, our winters here require a *lot* of windshield washer fluid, with the calcium and everything else they spread out on our roads. By 'a lot', I mean that I can easily go though a gallon over a relatively long 5-hr drive, especially when following traffic. In my other cars, I always carry 2 (yes, two) spare jugs all winter long.

Thats being said, I get what you're saying, and I'm sure Ford must have thought of 'something', but, I've just never seen the truck in person, and this is a first experience for me with a pickup truck. Like I said, with the large inverter taking much of the space under the rear seats already, I just don't know what's going to be left for the rest of my things, nor don't I want them to just be loose and flying around while driving.

Steve5472

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Expedition Stealth Performance
You can actually cram a fair bit of stuff under the rear seats. In the winter I'll put my big snowbrush, a jug of washer fluid, gloves, etc all under the seats so they are out of the way

Sponsored

Treycash

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have had a truck all of my adult life. There are several ways:
-Crossbody Toolbox
-Truck bed cover
-Undercover Swing Box: https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-swingcase
-Husky under the seat storage (not sure if this will fit because of your order)

I am planning on purchasing a Reltrax truck bed cover and two Undercover swing cases.

I have had a Reltrax for my truck now and it is the best item I have purchased. I can throw bags and anything in bed. 99% the weather stays out of it.

Hi!

The 2021 F-150 will be my first truck ever and I'm very excited to (eventually) get it. Stupid question, but Im wondering, since trucks have no trunks, where do people actually store their various auto-related items in these vehicles? Since mine is a gasoline model with the Pro Power, I can't get the lockable storage unit under the back seat because it has the inverter located in that area already. That being the case, where can I store a gallon of windshield washer, emergency road kit, etc. without leaving that stuff simply laying on the floor in the back?

Thank you

OP
OP
jfdube999

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can actually cram a fair bit of stuff under the rear seats. In the winter I'll put my big snowbrush, a jug of washer fluid, gloves, etc all under the seats so they are out of the way
Great! But the question is, how does everything stay in place without shifting around? Did you purchase anything aftermarket, a storage bin of some sort, or is there already something in place under the seats for this purpose? Like I said, mine may not have anything, due to the inverter...

OP
OP
jfdube999

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have had a truck all of my adult life. There are several ways:
-Crossbody Toolbox
-Truck bed cover
-Undercover Swing Box: https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-swingcase
-Husky under the seat storage (not sure if this will fit because of your order)

I am planning on purchasing a Reltrax truck bed cover and two Undercover swing cases.

I have had a Reltrax for my truck now and it is the best item I have purchased. I can throw bags and anything in bed. 99% the weather stays out of it.
Sounds like there's a few options out there. However, my preference would be to not leave anything in the bed due to theft and whatnot, even with a tonneau cover on, and even if those storage boxes lock. Leaving anything at all in the bed, when you live in a major city, is an invitation for crime. This leaves me with the interior of the cab, and whatever space I'll have left under the seats next to that large inverter.

Bills

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 ordered, 2019 JLUR Rubicon
Well I read you don’t want to keep anything in your bed, but figured I would still suggest a Decked system... I haven’t gotten my new truck yet, but the Decked system is the first mod I’m doing. The tailgate locks on your truck, plus locks on the drawers so it is as safe as a car trunk anyhow.

OP
OP
jfdube999

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well I read you don’t want to keep anything in your bed, but figured I would still suggest a Decked system... I haven’t gotten my new truck yet, but the Decked system is the first mod I’m doing. The tailgate locks on your truck, plus locks on the drawers so it is as safe as a car trunk anyhow.
Never heard of the decked system, but I just looked it up. Seems really neat and probably quite safe too. However, spending nearly $2k on this just isn't justifiable in my case, to simply store a few necessities. A bit of an overkill for me, but for you it could very well be a great investment indeed.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Another option is a bed mounted box. You compromise some of the bed space, but gain the utility of storage.

It may not be ideal, but I did not expect the F150 has A TON of storage cubbies and compartments throughout the cabin.

Other posters are also correct. For the last generation F150, there were aftermarket storage options for under the rear seat. There will likely be one for the 2021 F150 with both power inverter and non-power inverter options soon.

jabrego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4X4 Lariat 501A Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Look at the bakflip mx4 with the bakbox2. I live in Los Angeles and have never had anything stolen. The tonneau cover is aluminum and hard to figure out how to break in

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Hi!

Thank you
I have a 2017 XLT. I have always stored an emergency road kit, and a 12V air compressor under the 40% rear seat where the 400W inverter sits (your 2kW inverter will be bigger I'm sure). The 60% side has a plastic cubby not blocked by the inverter, I store 3 different jackets in there it is so roomy. If your gallon bottles (they aren't liters in canada?) are elongated like a 2 liter soda, they may fit and will not roll anywhere.

Do things slide? Well I have aftermarket weathertec floors so yes if I stop quickly the toolbox slides, but that is EASILY overcome with a non-slip mat (I just haven't cared enough).

I'll go take a picture, maybe it will help.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Ok, so I checked and I am actually SHOCKED at how much storage is under there. I was actually storing 4 jackets, and there was so much room I put a 2 liter bottle and a 1 gallon jug in there so you can see the size. I think you will be more than happy and can store 2 gallons minimum without rolling. That is, if they kept the default cubby the same on the 2021's...

Ford F-150 My first truck. Where do I store my stuff in it? 20201205_210746

Ford F-150 My first truck. Where do I store my stuff in it? 20201205_211013

Ford F-150 My first truck. Where do I store my stuff in it? 20201205_211207

OP
OP
jfdube999

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions, and thank you daemonic3 for posting those pictures. If the under seat compartment in mine looked like that, I would be happy and have more than enough room for the essentials.

I guess I'm just worried that, given my configuration which has the huge 2k power inverter under the seat, I may not have nearly the same amount of space, nor even have any storage compartments under there whatsoever. Like I said, I haven't seen the vehicle yet, so time will tell!
Sponsored