First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician
This is just an FYI that hopefully might help others out.

Once I found out that my ordered '21 Lariat was in transit to the dealership, I started the process of selling my '20 XLT to Vroom. Vroom's offer was $9,000 more than Carvana which is why I went with them. I, like many others, was somewhat skeptical about signing my title and sending it to Vroom before actually getting payment. But everyone I read about that had sold their vehicle to Vroom had said that they too was skeptical, but that it was a smooth process...and you along with Vroom do sign a legal binding contract. Plus the fact that I knew they could not say that I misrepresented my truck...as it was in near perfect condition...and I took lots of photos when it was loaded on the truck, as did the driver that picked it up. Vroom does advertise quick turnaround...but don't count on it. My endeavor took just over a month from start to finish. Here is my timeline of my Vroom experience.

Completed contract with Vroom 5-31-21
Received email from Vroom on 6-9-21 (9 days later) that Acertus (vehicle transport company) would be picking up my truck.
Had to call Vroom and Acertus several times about no one picking up my truck.
Acertus finally picked up my truck 6-23-21 (14 days after being notified they were picking it up)
My truck arrived at Vroom Distrubution Center in Meadows Place, TX (Houston area) 6-24-21
Vroom website states that once your vehicle is picked up, they send out your check in 2-3 days.
Finally received an email on 7-1-21 (8 days after truck was picked up) that my check was being sent overnight via FedEx.
Receiving check 7-2-21.

Granted...I live in kind of a remote area full of curves and hills...which might be why Acertus was so long in getting around to picking up my truck. But that is one of the positive things about Vroom....you don't even had to take your vehicle anywhere...they pick it up.
I can not say that I wasn't getting a little concerned...since I was looking at such a large amount of money. But in the end it was worth the wait...as they paid me $1300 more than I paid for it new and it had 26K miles on it.
Sponsored

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. The quote I got for Vroom was almost $3k more than the dealer was going to give me on trade-in so I was planning on heading down this route as well. Glad to hear that it worked for someone else.

Wvmtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
This is just an FYI that hopefully might help others out.

Once I found out that my ordered '21 Lariat was in transit to the dealership, I started the process of selling my '20 XLT to Vroom. Vroom's offer was $9,000 more than Carvana which is why I went with them. I, like many others, was somewhat skeptical about signing my title and sending it to Vroom before actually getting payment. But everyone I read about that had sold their vehicle to Vroom had said that they too was skeptical, but that it was a smooth process...and you along with Vroom do sign a legal binding contract. Plus the fact that I knew they could not say that I misrepresented my truck...as it was in near perfect condition...and I took lots of photos when it was loaded on the truck, as did the driver that picked it up. Vroom does advertise quick turnaround...but don't count on it. My endeavor took just over a month from start to finish. Here is my timeline of my Vroom experience.

Completed contract with Vroom 5-31-21
Received email from Vroom on 6-9-21 (9 days later) that Acertus (vehicle transport company) would be picking up my truck.
Had to call Vroom and Acertus several times about no one picking up my truck.
Acertus finally picked up my truck 6-23-21 (14 days after being notified they were picking it up)
My truck arrived at Vroom Distrubution Center in Meadows Place, TX (Houston area) 6-24-21
Vroom website states that once your vehicle is picked up, they send out your check in 2-3 days.
Finally received an email on 7-1-21 (8 days after truck was picked up) that my check was being sent overnight via FedEx.
Receiving check 7-2-21.

Granted...I live in kind of a remote area full of curves and hills...which might be why Acertus was so long in getting around to picking up my truck. But that is one of the positive things about Vroom....you don't even had to take your vehicle anywhere...they pick it up.
I can not say that I wasn't getting a little concerned...since I was looking at such a large amount of money. But in the end it was worth the wait...as they paid me $1300 more than I paid for it new and it had 26K miles on it.
We had a similar experience. Total process took over five weeks from docusign to payment. We had to send two different 10 day payoff letters since the first one expired. They never scheduled pickup (almost two weeks went by) so we called to cancel. Miraculously, pickup occurred 11am the next day. The driver did not give us a BOL, so pictures were out only record. One week later the money was deposited. They somehow used the first payoff letter(a month old) to pay off the car. The bank had to send us a refund.

Vroom was a pain, and we had to call them constantly. I guess it was worth the additional $3,000, but I would rather sell to carvana( i had a pleasant experience with them last year). I do not think I will sell to vroom again.

I definitely would not trust them taking my car and mailing my title before payment. At carvava, i dropped of the car and took home a check.

OP
OP
Green_Bean

Green_Bean

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician
We had a similar experience. Total process took over five weeks from docusign to payment. We had to send two different 10 day payoff letters since the first one expired. They never scheduled pickup (almost two weeks went by) so we called to cancel. Miraculously, pickup occurred 11am the next day. The driver did not give us a BOL, so pictures were out only record. One week later the money was deposited. They somehow used the first payoff letter(a month old) to pay off the car. The bank had to send us a refund.

Vroom was a pain, and we had to call them constantly. I guess it was worth the additional $3,000, but I would rather sell to carvana( i had a pleasant experience with them last year). I do not think I will sell to vroom again.

I definitely would not trust them taking my car and mailing my title before payment. At carvava, i dropped of the car and took home a check.
I also used Carvana in August of last year. I had a 2019 XLT that I sold to Carvana. They had offered me $1500 less than I paid for it new, which I thought was a sweet deal at the time. And like you said, I dropped off the truck and they handed me a check...although I did have to take the truck 4.5 hours away since I was not close to a regional drop off location, and they only pick up within 50 miles. I was in the market for a '21...but of course they were not out yet in August of last year...so I found the '20 XLT I just sold to Vroom (which I got a really good deal on), knowing I would turn loose of it when the '21 model was available.

I'm not sure I'd go the Vroom route again....but their offer was $9K higher than Carvana...so in the end it was worth the hassle I suppose. I now have the check deposited and all is good :) .

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Bronco Spt BL , '21 Tremor Ordered

Sponsored

PFD664

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Crew 502a Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I gave them a try yesterday and unfortunately they offered 2k under clean book for my 2015 lariat 502a 4x4...I have had dealers offer to buy it for 2k over clean book, since I have a little time before the new one shows up I'll try to sell it myself private party.

OP
OP
Green_Bean

Green_Bean

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Thanks for sharing. I sold a car to Carvana and later used a Carvana offer to negotiate the trade in on my 2021 f150 back in March.

Dealer took the offer serious enough to beat it by $500. I darn near broke even on my 2017 silverado 6.2 max tow after owning it for 3 years and putting more than 40k miles on it.

My Carvana sale was seamless. They came to my house (I live in the Minneapolis suburbs) and picked it up. I didn't hand over the keys until I had the check in my hand. Whole thing took about 3 minutes from when the driver rang my doorbell to when I walked back in my front door.

I'd bet adding a few thousand dollars to a deal would make me consider dealing with Vroom, but the Carvana process would be hard to beat.

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
There is no way on planet Earth would I purchase a car with that method. Far, far too many ways to loose your cash in just another scam.

OP
OP
Green_Bean

Green_Bean

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician
Thanks for sharing. I sold a car to Carvana and later used a Carvana offer to negotiate the trade in on my 2021 f150 back in March.

Dealer took the offer serious enough to beat it by $500. I darn near broke even on my 2017 silverado 6.2 max tow after owning it for 3 years and putting more than 40k miles on it.

My Carvana sale was seamless. They came to my house (I live in the Minneapolis suburbs) and picked it up. I didn't hand over the keys until I had the check in my hand. Whole thing took about 3 minutes from when the driver rang my doorbell to when I walked back in my front door.

I'd bet adding a few thousand dollars to a deal would make me consider dealing with Vroom, but the Carvana process would be hard to beat.
For my '20 loaded XLT...the difference was $9,000 between Carvana and Vroom. So I sold my truck to Vroom. Right after I sold it, I ran it on Carvana again...and it had dropped another $2K...so the difference then would have been $11K. That is a significant difference. But if someone gets screwed out of their money or vehicle...then the deal doesn't seem near as sweet. Luckily my ordeal went ok...even though it took a month.
Sponsored