Sponsored
OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
The more miles I put on the truck the smoother the powertrain has gotten. It’s hard to fault this truck. It drives so much nicer than my prior 18. I do have some fault codes (U codes) showing up though, so I’ll post more about those tomorrow.
Sponsored

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought some of you might find this interesting, but Ford is piloting a "Connected Vehicle" system on the Ford OASIS service site. I have access to pretty much every OEM repair site out there, but before you ping me for OASIS reports, understand there are two levels to OASIS. Dealerships and All Others - we're under All Others. That means we cannot see any service history when running an OASIS report. So no, I won't be running OASIS reports for anyone, sorry.

However, one thing I noticed when I ran the VIN for my truck versus other Ford vehicles I've owned is that it presented a form field to enter the customer's email address to gain access to the connected vehicle information. Once I received the email, I would have to give the code to the dealership, but in my case I just entered it. After doing that, the Ford site could display information about my truck based upon its last upload. It doesn't appear to be 100% real-time. It's like a modified version of Ford Pass for a dealership. They can see vehicle status, odometer, fuel level, tire pressures and oil life. It also shows vehicle health status and stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

The interesting aspect of this is that it maintains a 60-day history in calendar form with icons showing up on days when a vehicle health alert or DTC were set. Clicking on the day will show the dealership which code(s) or health alert(s) set. Now this has some benefit since as a customer we can't see this info, but for those tinkering with your trucks, this isn't necessarily the best thing. What I can also say is it had history before I granted access to view it, so the truck is likely always uploading this data at certain intervals. I'm sure Ford corporate or Engineering could review that data without your consent, but it appears a dealership cannot without your approval at this point.

Just thought I'd share since my truck has four DTC's set, which all appear to be communication related. I've noticed no issues with the truck, so I don't know if these were set after the truck came out of transport mode, or if they set once I drove it. It does list time/odometer reading for each "Event", but that event could also be the upload time of the vehicle's payload.

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences MicrosoftTeams-image

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I thought some of you might find this interesting, but Ford is piloting a "Connected Vehicle" system on the Ford OASIS service site. I have access to pretty much every OEM repair site out there, but before you ping me for OASIS reports, understand there are two levels to OASIS. Dealerships and All Others - we're under All Others. That means we cannot see any service history when running an OASIS report. So no, I won't be running OASIS reports for anyone, sorry.

However, one thing I noticed when I ran the VIN for my truck versus other Ford vehicles I've owned is that it presented a form field to enter the customer's email address to gain access to the connected vehicle information. Once I received the email, I would have to give the code to the dealership, but in my case I just entered it. After doing that, the Ford site could display information about my truck based upon its last upload. It doesn't appear to be 100% real-time. It's like a modified version of Ford Pass for a dealership. They can see vehicle status, odometer, fuel level, tire pressures and oil life. It also shows vehicle health status and stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

The interesting aspect of this is that it maintains a 60-day history in calendar form with icons showing up on days when a vehicle health alert or DTC were set. Clicking on the day will show the dealership which code(s) or health alert(s) set. Now this has some benefit since as a customer we can't see this info, but for those tinkering with your trucks, this isn't necessarily the best thing. What I can also say is it had history before I granted access to view it, so the truck is likely always uploading this data at certain intervals. I'm sure Ford corporate or Engineering could review that data without your consent, but it appears a dealership cannot without your approval at this point.

Just thought I'd share since my truck has four DTC's set, which all appear to be communication related. I've noticed no issues with the truck, so I don't know if these were set after the truck came out of transport mode, or if they set once I drove it. It does list time/odometer reading for each "Event", but that event could also be the upload time of the vehicle's payload.
Wow, that is interesting. I can see the good and the bad with that, like you said, those that alter or make changes on a truck under warranty and such.

I set my truck up to give me month health reports like my wife's Lexus does. I guess that is where such information will be coming from. So I don't think Ford is the only one doing something like this.

Good info, thanks for sharing!

Elkhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Bravo.... that awesome. Congratulations

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I’m getting basically the same truck but gotta have towing mirrors. Congrats.

Sponsored

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
thanks for sharing that information with us.
Clearly FORD is moving all of of into the "information Age" whether we like it or not.
Vehicle tracking and data logging is now just a matter of fact.

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
I keep forgetting things to mention. Another big improvement is the power deployable running boards. The 18 I bought had them and it wasn't something I ever would have optioned, but once I had them I liked them. However, they'd open/close like crazy to the point it was annoying when just getting something out of the truck. The 21 can hold them in position and leave them in that position. Much improved, though they are louder when actuated within the cabin. They are better positioned though compared to my old 18. Glad they improved them for the 14th gen.
I have deployable running boards on my '18 with a 6.5' box. I optioned the extendable foot lifts that sit just ahead of the wheelwell to quickly retrieve items deep in the box instead of climbing up the rear. Those were a waste of money and are 'stuck' more often than not, even though I keep my truck pretty clean. The '21 power deployable running boards extend the length of the rocker panel to the front of the box, and they have a 'kick switch' to deploy so you can use it instead to reach into the front of the box. This is a welcome improvement!

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've got about 250 miles on the truck and so far, other than having the following trouble-codes set:
  • U1A00 : 87 : 08 Private Communication Network
  • U0415 : 00 : 08 Invalid Data Received from Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module "A"
  • B1385 : 68 : 2C Lane Keeping Aid System
  • U0288 : 87 : 28 Lost Communication With DC/AC Converter Control Module "A"
  • U23B : 00 : 08 Lost Communication With Image Processing Module B
The truck has performed pretty much flawless. It has a few creaking noises inside which might be the door seals. Difficult to close doors is another little irritation but nothing major. I may hit them with some Krytox to see if that eliminates the noise. I'm averaging 17.4 MPG (cluster indicated) on the first tank, with over 40 miles on electric.

Driving this truck does require a different style of driving to get the most out of the hybrid/full electric mode. It's not like a Ronco where you set it and forget it. In general, the powertrain is smooth though you can feel the engine start at very low speeds when taking off and you can feel the regenerative brakes engage the generator during deceleration. It's nothing bad, but not as smooth as you would experience on a standard Ecoboost truck IMO.

Power, driving and tech still continue to impress. The quietness of the truck is really good. I continue to be impressed with the truck.

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Admittedly I've not modded this truck like vehicles I've owned in the past, but for some reason I did something I never usually do, I added badging. I guess maybe after so many plain vehicles with no chrome, it's kind of making a little comeback with me. I decided to add "P L A T I N U M" badging on the hood. Using a laser to center everything up and a little eyeballing, I think it turned out alright. Whether I keep it, I don't know. I hit each litter with my heat gun from a distance to warm them up a bit since it was cold to help the adhesive bite a bit onto the paint. Considering I had a few wobble pops before doing this, I think it looks reasonably positioned. LOL

First use of the tape measure on the tailgate!

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210222181309-9e19cc11-me

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210222181311-a0d1df12-me

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210222181314-6800f97e-me

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210222181319-adb5495d-me

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210222181322-7ff245f7-me

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210222181324-3b5c57a0-me

Now, back to my Modelos.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Admittedly I've not modded this truck like vehicles I've owned in the past, but for some reason I did something I never usually do, I added badging. I guess maybe after so many plain vehicles with no chrome, it's kind of making a little comeback with me. I decided to add "P L A T I N U M" badging on the hood. Using a laser to center everything up and a little eyeballing, I think it turned out alright. Whether I keep it, I don't know. I hit each litter with my heat gun from a distance to warm them up a bit since it was cold to help the adhesive bite a bit onto the paint. Considering I had a few wobble pops before doing this, I think it looks reasonably positioned. LOL

First use of the tape measure on the tailgate!

20210222181309-9e19cc11-me.jpg

20210222181311-a0d1df12-me.jpg

20210222181314-6800f97e-me.jpg

20210222181319-adb5495d-me.jpg

20210222181322-7ff245f7-me.jpg

20210222181324-3b5c57a0-me.jpg

Now, back to my Modelos.
You did a quality bang up job!

Not my thing but as long as you are happy with it that is all that matters!

Sponsored

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You did a quality bang up job!

Not my thing but as long as you are happy with it that is all that matters!
LOL. Thanks. Not usually my thing either, but damnit, I wanted to add emblems instead of removing for a change. Felt good not cutting through two-sided tape with fishing line, but if I don't like it, I'm out $15, 30 minutes, and a few feet of braided fishing line. :)

It's a poor man's LIMITED now!!

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My first partial tank on my Platinum FX4 SCrew 5.5:

Total Miles: 232.9
Electric Miles: 44.7 (19.19% of total miles)
Cluster Indicated MPG: 17.7
Actual Measured MPG: 18.8 (12.39 Gallons)

This is the first vehicle I've owned where the cluster underreported MPG. 18.8 in comparison to my 2018 F150 FX4 Ecoboost 3.5L SCrew 5.5 is about 4.3 MPG better, given I've been driving about the same conditions since purchase. I'm pretty happy with that for the first partial tank since my truck is fully loaded as well. I think as it breaks in and I learn how to better maximize the hybrid system at slower speeds, MPG will improve.

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210223094526-ad62d774-me-

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210223094529-bbbd6087-me-

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I decided to go to my storage unit and pick up the take-off wheels from my old 2018 F150 FX4 Special Edition. I pulled them off the first week so they're like new. I just wanted to see what the truck would look like. Happy to report the TPMS from the 13th gen work fine with the 14th gen.

Before:
Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210216103452-d5de4fcf-me

After:
Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210223112237-591a0b08-me

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210223112233-fcb65e98-me

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210223112221-9a89da16-me

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 PowerBoost Platinum Experiences 20210223112229-4ab5b14c-me

I don't know if I'll leave them or swap back. I'm thinking about buying Fuel Blitz wheels and am just trying to decide on tires/leveling kit.

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
On the GEN 12 & 13 models you could access "diagnostic mode" on the display by holding the OK button on the wheel while turning ignition on, as described here. One of the features was scaling the MPG indicator - could be used to make it more accurately reflect measured MPG.

I'm still waiting for my GEN 14, maybe someone could check this out and see if there is a diagnostic mode?

JeffBea

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 E-250, 2020 Explorer, 2021 F-150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Plumber
I keep forgetting things to mention. Another big improvement is the power deployable running boards. The 18 I bought had them and it wasn't something I ever would have optioned, but once I had them I liked them. However, they'd open/close like crazy to the point it was annoying when just getting something out of the truck. The 21 can hold them in position and leave them in that position. Much improved, though they are louder when actuated within the cabin. They are better positioned though compared to my old 18. Glad they improved them for the 14th gen.
I was messing with the running board options. I was trying to just leave them deployed while the truck was parked. They may do that if you don't lock the doors, I haven't tried that yet. Seems they need a few more options in the menu to make all combinations possible. Like "Leaving running boards deployed until transmission is in Gear" or something of that nature.
Sponsored