First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 ecoboost
Occupation
Car restoration
Sucks and glad everyone is okay. Hope you get a smokin deal at the Chevy dealer.
I really feel traumatized by it . Also, Interest rate on my Ford was 0%, now I'll be stuck paying 7%!! I'm getting a low mile used 2018 Duramax 2500 and will never have a truck problem again

Vin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
My Ecoboost had 12,000 miles on it, idk what happened. Smoking, then pulled over, and things started blowing up. Night mare. Do not buy a new truck from Ford. The dealer Phil Long told me to get it off of thier property. Only asked me what I did to it, which I only changed the antenna.
Glad you're OK, but unfortunately vehicles from all manufacturers catch on fire every day. With all of the high voltage, flammable liquids, controlled explosions, engine exhaust, and superheated metals from friction it's a miracle that it doesn't happen more often. If you were properly insured with a reputable company the lawyer will be unnecessary.

MikeyDog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT500 F150
Had a '19 6.2 Silverado go up in flames while towing my car. Luckily I only lost the truck and the not car. I currently tow the car with my van which is tough going up hills, but since then I always check under the hood before towing and carry an 18lb fire extinguisher. Anxiously awaiting the delivery of my '23 5.0.

Sponsored

z-man

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I really feel traumatized by it . Also, Interest rate on my Ford was 0%, now I'll be stuck paying 7%!! I'm getting a low mile used 2018 Duramax 2500 and will never have a truck problem again
First, I am glad you are okay. Second, is the 2018 Duramax 2500 made of vibranium? I hope everything works out.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I always check under the hood before towing and carry an 18lb fire extinguisher. Anxiously awaiting the delivery of my '23 5.0.
Good info! What are you looking for under the hood? Are you just looking for signs of leaks?

FWIW, I carry a big fire extinguisher too, but it's in the bed. I think I'm going to have to find a place to hard mount mine inside the cab.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Good info! What are you looking for under the hood? Are you just looking for signs of leaks?

FWIW, I carry a big fire extinguisher too, but it's in the bed. I think I'm going to have to find a place to hard mount mine inside the cab.
I keep one in that little storage container behind the rear seat.

MikeyDog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT500 F150

I always check for leaks, belt(s), and all fluid levels as part of my pretrip inspection.

Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Funny thing about leaks is a puddle of gas will not ignite, I used to have a BMW with a fuel rail that leaked like $hit through a goose. Never caught because it was more of a drip than a spray.

these GDI engines are trickier

OP
OP

Ndamo

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 ecoboost
Occupation
Car restoration
Glad you're OK, but unfortunately vehicles from all manufacturers catch on fire every day. With all of the high voltage, flammable liquids, controlled explosions, engine exhaust, and superheated metals from friction it's a miracle that it doesn't happen more often. If you were properly insured with a reputable company the lawyer will be unnecessary.
Your absolutely right, I've repaired several fire damaged cars, but they had all been manufactured in the 60's. They've all been either fuel, or wiring. I feel terrible for Jay Leno too!

OP
OP

Ndamo

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 ecoboost
Occupation
Car restoration
Had a '19 6.2 Silverado go up in flames while towing my car. Luckily I only lost the truck and the not car. I currently tow the car with my van which is tough going up hills, but since then I always check under the hood before towing and carry an 18lb fire extinguisher. Anxiously awaiting the delivery of my '23 5.0.
Wow, sorry to hear that. Your insurance covered it though? Will definitely be getting a fire extinguisher in my truck, and in my trailer. A good Samaritan did try to put my truck out with a small fire extinguisher, but this fire grew very quickly, and it was too late.

Bdubbs1198

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
All manufacturers have fires. I put out a fire the other day in a brand new Chevy 2500. The guy said he saw smoke trailing him, pulled over and grabbed stuff out if the cab before it became involved. It looked like the fire started back at the transmission, so likely a transmission line that broke spraying fluid onto exhaust.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I notice the right rear tire is a spare, did you hit debris in the road?

It has an FX4 sticker, so should at least have rudimentary underbody protection. When I changed the oil on my truck, one of the things that I noticed was how exposed everything was compared with my other trucks.

As mentioned, if something came loose in the engine compartment, things can get bad in a hurry. Luckily, changing the antenna shouldn’t have knocked anything loose in the fuel system :sneaky: I don’t know if a small extinguisher would have done much unless you caught it really early. Also, an electrical fire will just keep reigniting while the amperage is still available. That said, it’s always a good idea to have an extinguisher.

Good luck with everything!
Sponsored