First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 XLT Chrome Series
Occupation
EMT
Good info! What are you looking for under the hood? Are you just looking for signs of leaks?

FWIW, I carry a big fire extinguisher too, but it's in the bed. I think I'm going to have to find a place to hard mount mine inside the cab.
As a retired firefighter, I have put out lots of vehicular fires and it does not matter how quickly you get to the fire, it normally is better to let it burn and get a new truck instead of having to fix many things such as wire harnesses. Leaving ghosts in the system for life.
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
As a retired firefighter, I have put out lots of vehicular fires and it does not matter how quickly you get to the fire, it normally is better to let it burn and get a new truck instead of having to fix many things such as wire harnesses. Leaving ghosts in the system for life.
I'm with ya on this one ..... if a vehicle fire of any extent, hope for a 'total' - the only exception being if the fire threatens other property (y)

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
@OldmanFord - Thanks for the heads up!

OldmanFord

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 XLT Chrome Series
Occupation
EMT
Oh man, I feel your pain. this was my truck that burnt down on the trailer coming out to me. Never got final word on what had happened but always assumed it was the trailer brakes.
1668880237739.png
1668880258459.png
Not fords fault. How stuff is put into the fire report, could look like a ford problem.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo

Sponsored

towpro

First Name
will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat Powerboost
Yes -- EVERYONE should have extinguishers in all vehicles, trailers, homes (kitchens and garages) etc...
AND keep them accessible (ie: don't hide them under trunk tire covers where luggage or other items could keep it buried and the first instinct should be to grab it when you smell something burning).
If you put a fire extinguisher in any vehicle, you MUST bolt it down! your at much higher risk if being in an accident than a fire, and in an accident that fire extinguisher is going to become a missile if its not bolted down. (my buddy got hit in head and hurt his neck pretty good during a jeep rollover when something loose inside the jeep hit him).

Plus forgot about trying to put out a vehicle fire with a fire extinguisher. any (trained) fireman will tell you NEVER OPEN THE HOOD on a vehicle that is on fire. Opening the hood changers the draft and the fire will flair up into your face as you open hood. Get everyone out of vehicle and move well off the road and watch it burn. Let the Pro's put out the fire.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
If you put a fire extinguisher in any vehicle, you MUST bolt it down! your at much higher risk if being in an accident than a fire, and in an accident that fire extinguisher is going to become a missile if its not bolted down. (my buddy got hit in head and hurt his neck pretty good during a jeep rollover when something loose inside the jeep hit him).

Plus forgot about trying to put out a vehicle fire with a fire extinguisher. any (trained) fireman will tell you NEVER OPEN THE HOOD on a vehicle that is on fire. Opening the hood changers the draft and the fire will flair up into your face as you open hood. Get everyone out of vehicle and move well off the road and watch it burn. Let the Pro's put out the fire.
All great advice

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I always check for leaks, belt(s), and all fluid levels as part of my pretrip inspection.
As a semi truck driver a pre trip is ingrained in me anyway. So checking my PB is just a normal thing anyway. But honestly never thought about carrying a fire ext. I have a first aid bag but I will now be getting an ext. as well. Good idea.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The fire extinguisher noted previously, is designed to NOT be a threat to hitting you in the head. :)
You can stuff one in just about any kind of vehicle in an easy to reach position.
It's not our 1960's design, if you know what I mean. (Although it's larger than the picture might imply)

Skip to the 2:26 second mark on the video to see the product

SoCalDawg

First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Raptor
Besides yours and the other fire posted, the NHTSA site has the following fire reported.

October 20, 2022 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11490183
Components: ENGINE

NHTSA ID Number: 11490183
Incident Date September 18, 2022
Consumer Location GARLAND, TX
Vehicle Identification Number 1FTFW1RG4NF****
Summary of Complaint
CRASH No
FIRE Yes
INJURIES 0
DEATHS 0

The contact owned a 2022 Ford F-150. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, he started to smell a burning odor inside the cab. The contact stated no warning light was illuminated. The contact was able to park on the side of the road and when exiting the vehicle he saw a fire had started under the engine. The contact and his family were able to exit the vehicle safely. The contact stated no one was injured nor sought medical attention. A fire department was able to extinguish the fire. A fire report was not filed. A police report was filed. The insurance company deemed the vehicle a total loss. The vehicle was towed to towing lot. The contact called the local dealer and made them aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer had not been informed of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 1,800.
This is interesting relative to my post. Been smelling gas for couple days and tracked it down to gas tank area. Service tech literally tried to tell me it’s possible someone drilled a hole to steal the gas.. the truck is still 3/4 full and the gas tank is protected by a huge steel plate.. can’t wait to see what issue is.. but it’s entirely possible I was also at risk of fire.
Sponsored