Sponsored

Muffler "Deleted"

M4X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat "Sport" FX4
Hey guys,

Today I removed the muffler from the stock catback (left the resonator intact, along with the factory hardware).

Ford F-150 Muffler "Deleted" 20210309_092148

I put a turndown right before the axle as that seemed like the best option with the location of the spare.
Ford F-150 Muffler "Deleted" 20210309_092145

(Please forgive the factory installed rust option.)

Sounds great to me, there is little-to-no "trumpeting/hard throttle popping" as you would typically get with a 2-into-1 configuration, the drone in the cab exists at lower RPMs but it is minimal since it is dumped so far behind the driver's seat.

Cylinder Deactivation happens above 15mph and from someone who drove an MDS hemi around for a while the tell-tale sounds of it kicking in and out are there, you hear that "blopping" sound and the change in exhaust tone.

Sport mode disables it, but that seems to be the only way I've found so far.

The deactivation is less pronounced than it was on my 1500 so I can live with it until we can find a solution to it--im curious as to what other people discover in that avenue. I'm guessing it will probably require a tune.

I'll post some sound clips later today. In typical Texas fashion it's too windy to record anything at the moment.

Ford F-150 Muffler "Deleted" Screenshot_20210309-102111_Weather

Edit: On another note, this truck is averaging around 16mpg city and has less than 100 miles on it. Really stoked about that and I'm sure Cylinder Deactivation is contributing to it. If we found a way to disable it without sport mode I'd like an option to enable it whenever I wished.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Hey guys,

Today I removed the muffler from the stock catback (left the resonator intact, along with the factory hardware).

20210309_092148.jpg

I put a turndown right before the axle as that seemed like the best option with the location of the spare.
20210309_092145.jpg

(Please forgive the factory installed rust option.)

Sounds great to me, there is little-to-no "trumpeting/hard throttle popping" as you would typically get with a 2-into-1 configuration, the drone in the cab exists at lower RPMs but it is minimal since it is dumped so far behind the driver's seat.

Cylinder Deactivation happens above 15mph and from someone who drove an MDS hemi around for a while the tell-tale sounds of it kicking in and out are there, you hear that "blopping" sound and the change in exhaust tone.

Sport mode disables it, but that seems to be the only way I've found so far.

The deactivation is less pronounced than it was on my 1500 so I can live with it until we can find a solution to it--im curious as to what other people discover in that avenue. I'm guessing it will probably require a tune.

I'll post some sound clips later today. In typical Texas fashion it's too windy to record anything at the moment.

Screenshot_20210309-102111_Weather.jpg

Edit: On another note, this truck is averaging around 16mpg city and has less than 100 miles on it. Really stoked about that and I'm sure Cylinder Deactivation is contributing to it. If we found a way to disable it without sport mode I'd like an option to enable it whenever I wished.

Would that not cause a FAIL on emission testing? I live in Clark County NV (we only have a few counties with strict emission requirements) and have always been under the impression that any removal of the muffler or catalytic convertor without replacement would cause an automatic fail if not electronically then visually. I could be wrong. Would be first time though. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
M4X

M4X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Would that not cause a FAIL on emission testing? I live in Clark County NV (we only have a few counties with strict emission requirements) and have always been under the impression that any removal of the muffler or catalytic convertor without replacement would cause an automatic fail if not electronically then visually. I could be wrong. Would be first time though. :ROFLMAO:
I'm in Texas. Only completelty removing cats here will fail an emission test.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Yeah every place is different and I'm only going on second hand info so yeah a bit jealous.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
The muffler isn’t part of the emissions equipment, though in some places, they will check for them for the safety inspection.

Exhaust exits are required to be on the perimeter of vehicles just in case you decide to sleep off a bender in a snow drift while leaving your vehicle idling.

Reactions: M4X

JG601A

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Engineer
You must live in a county that requires an emissions test. None of the surrounding counties around me require it.

OP
OP
M4X

M4X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Exhaust exits are required to be on the perimeter of vehicles just in case you decide to sleep off a bender in a snow drift while leaving your vehicle idling."

That's a reasonable precaution.
You must live in a county that requires an emissions test. None of the surrounding counties around me require it.
Correct. Basically if you live near DFW, Austin, Houston, or certain areas in that triangle, maybe El paso. Otherwise there is no emissions at a state level.

The state leaves it up to the county/ municipality here.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
The muffler isn’t part of the emissions equipment, though in some places, they will check for them for the safety inspection.

Exhaust exits are required to be on the perimeter of vehicles just in case you decide to sleep off a bender in a snow drift while leaving your vehicle idling.
That figures, as usual I don't know what the heck I'm talking about ?

Thankfully the only time DMV does an inspection is when a vehicle is purchased out of state new and brought here at first time registration.

The emission inspection stations are like 3rd party facilities and as long as the emissions test passes, the only inspection typically done is to see if the gas cap is in place. They don't even put the test probe up the vehicle's exhaust pipe anymore. If it's a 'newer' one they just plug into the OBD port. New vehicles don't get an emission test until they're 3 years old.

Last edited:

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
The state of Washington eliminated emission testing.
Sponsored