Sponsored

MPG: Tire Weight vs Diameter on Powerboost

Brado16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Poweboost
I received my 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost with stock 18" wheels/tires late Oct of 21'. I had my dealer install the ReadyLift 2" before I took delivery. I was getting about 21-22MPG the first few weeks I had the truck. I have a 130 miles daily round trip commute to work where the majority of the time the cruise is set at 61mph. After 3 weeks after I purchased the truck, I had the dealer install Goodyear Duratrac 295/65/18 tires as I live in northern WI and my truck lives in 4A or 4H most of the winter due to 150-200" of snow each winter. The Duratracs are 1" taller than stock tires but are over 20 pounds per tire heavier. My MPG immediately dropped to about 18MPG, and than as Winter came, Temps dropped, and with Winter fuel, I have only averaged 17.5MPG over the 15K miles I now have on my truck. My question is, does the increase in tire diameter or increase in tire weight play a large roll in MPG? I am going to purchase a summer hwy/AT tire soon, but want to stay with a 33" tire but also want to get my MPG back in the 20s- think this possible if I dropped tire weight back closer to stock weight (37#) each vs the 59# each the Duratracs weigh?
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Heavier tire that is larger in diameter is harder to move, so yes, it will decrease fuel economy. I don't know from experience, but I'd think that removing the lift may have a greater effect than the tires, but lighter ties will certain help get you back close to the 20+mpg mark you want, as well warmer temperatures.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Tire weight, size, and wind resistance are all factors. Lifting the truck increases wind resistance. When I replaced the tires on mine, I went with the Yokohama G015s instead of the K02s because the G015s are more than 10# lighter each, and close to the OEM Pirellis. My truck isn't lifted. My mileage hasn't changed noticeably from stock.

JacobGW05

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum PB BAP
I received my 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost with stock 18" wheels/tires late Oct of 21'. I had my dealer install the ReadyLift 2" before I took delivery. I was getting about 21-22MPG the first few weeks I had the truck. I have a 130 miles daily round trip commute to work where the majority of the time the cruise is set at 61mph. After 3 weeks after I purchased the truck, I had the dealer install Goodyear Duratrac 295/65/18 tires as I live in northern WI and my truck lives in 4A or 4H most of the winter due to 150-200" of snow each winter. The Duratracs are 1" taller than stock tires but are over 20 pounds per tire heavier. My MPG immediately dropped to about 18MPG, and than as Winter came, Temps dropped, and with Winter fuel, I have only averaged 17.5MPG over the 15K miles I now have on my truck. My question is, does the increase in tire diameter or increase in tire weight play a large roll in MPG? I am going to purchase a summer hwy/AT tire soon, but want to stay with a 33" tire but also want to get my MPG back in the 20s- think this possible if I dropped tire weight back closer to stock weight (37#) each vs the 59# each the Duratracs weigh?
Did your dealer calibrate your tire size and speedometer?

Sponsored

Billy231

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerstroke
Occupation
Retired
I am not an authority within the tire community but I have read numerous threads here regarding the Powerboost vs. Larger/heavier tire and what the owners of the Powerboost are dealing with. I for one have a Powerstoke 3.0, so I do not have first hand experience yet when you add that much rolling weight to each wheel, especially to a hybrid there seems to be issues regarding when your hybrid will operate efficiently. I feel that if you are mainly highway driving, you wont notice this but only within local city driving at 40 mph or less, for activation of the hybrid features, of course in your post you mention highway driving. Not only did you go taller, you went wider.
The 2" lift and the taller, heavier tire is definitely the culprit.
If necessity requires an E rated tire then you have to deal with it, otherwise If you want a good 33" tire, try the General Grabber 275/70-18 in the SL rating, which is the OEM tire on the Tremor.
Many dislike this tire, but for me it was my upgrade choice from the Goodyear Wrangler 275/65-18 which I replaced.
Goodyear Wrangler OEM SL rated 275/65-18, 32.1", 37#
General Grabber A/TX SL rated 275/70-18, 33.2",46#
Goodyear Duratrac E rated 295/65-18, 33.1" ,59#

As shown above, you made a drastic weight increase and rolling resistance x4, as well with the lift, possibly more drag under the vehicle. I am sure that there are other issues, like snow conditions idling time in winter months etc. all are MPG killers.
You didnt mention where you got your MPG calculations from either. I noticed that when I replaced my tires, my speedo at highway speeds is now +3mph, and the digital MPG readout is off as well. I have to get someone to fix that via Forscan, but my hand calculations are showing that my MPG is very close to what they were with my OEM Wranglers.
Not to drag this out but wanted you to see the differences. Try reading here in regard to Powerboost shifting and MPG decreases here. Some have tried the route you are on and have gone back to OEM suspensions and different tires closer to OEM tire weights to regain better MPG results.
I personally think thats too much weight for what you are trying to achieve by owning a hybrid but that all depends on the needs of each vehicle use.
Good luck.

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
I can tell you from direct experience & experimentation that tire weight definitely impacts fuel mileage. It is so impactful that you can even see mileage go up slightly as tires lose weight due to wear.

OP
OP

Brado16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Poweboost
Besides the General Grabber ATX SL, any other good "light" tires to consider for HWY or light AT use?

Sponsored

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
Besides the General Grabber ATX SL, any other good "light" tires to consider for HWY or light AT use?
I replaced my OEM 275/60R20 Hankook tires with the same size Cooper AT3 4S. They are 1 lb less than the stock tires. I lost approximately 1 MPG due to the more aggressive tread pattern and better grip, that's how sensitive the hybrid system is. They are significantly better in snow, and better off road. The highway noise is the same as the stock tires, despite the more aggressive tread. I actually feel like they ride better than the Hankooks. I'm very satisfied with the Coopers.

smyph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Stuff and thing
Also consider if you need to live in 4a 4h. I’m in CO and still spend about 99% my time in 2h.

KDPGame02

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Software Development & Design
Yes to weight, width, but also rolling resistance increases with more knobby aggressive A/T tires, too.

Yawyeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 GMC Sierra 1500->2022 F150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Systems Integrator
There is the Terra Grappler G2 in 295/70R18 SL @51 Lbs per tire. It is the lightest AT I have seen in that size.

DennisG

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I am not an authority within the tire community but I have read numerous threads here regarding the Powerboost vs. Larger/heavier tire and what the owners of the Powerboost are dealing with. I for one have a Powerstoke 3.0, so I do not have first hand experience yet when you add that much rolling weight to each wheel, especially to a hybrid there seems to be issues regarding when your hybrid will operate efficiently. I feel that if you are mainly highway driving, you wont notice this but only within local city driving at 40 mph or less, for activation of the hybrid features, of course in your post you mention highway driving. Not only did you go taller, you went wider.
The 2" lift and the taller, heavier tire is definitely the culprit.
If necessity requires an E rated tire then you have to deal with it, otherwise If you want a good 33" tire, try the General Grabber 275/70-18 in the SL rating, which is the OEM tire on the Tremor.
Many dislike this tire, but for me it was my upgrade choice from the Goodyear Wrangler 275/65-18 which I replaced.
Goodyear Wrangler OEM SL rated 275/65-18, 32.1", 37#
General Grabber A/TX SL rated 275/70-18, 33.2",46#
Goodyear Duratrac E rated 295/65-18, 33.1" ,59#

As shown above, you made a drastic weight increase and rolling resistance x4, as well with the lift, possibly more drag under the vehicle. I am sure that there are other issues, like snow conditions idling time in winter months etc. all are MPG killers.
You didnt mention where you got your MPG calculations from either. I noticed that when I replaced my tires, my speedo at highway speeds is now +3mph, and the digital MPG readout is off as well. I have to get someone to fix that via Forscan, but my hand calculations are showing that my MPG is very close to what they were with my OEM Wranglers.
Not to drag this out but wanted you to see the differences. Try reading here in regard to Powerboost shifting and MPG decreases here. Some have tried the route you are on and have gone back to OEM suspensions and different tires closer to OEM tire weights to regain better MPG results.
I personally think thats too much weight for what you are trying to achieve by owning a hybrid but that all depends on the needs of each vehicle use.
Good luck.
Was wondering how you like the Generals. Looking to upgrade my Powerstroke and was leaning towards these. How has been the mpg impact?
Sponsored