Sponsored

Moving from 4 to 10 ply tires

satchamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX
I have about 800 miles on my STX and I’m wanting to shuck these rather pedestrian looking hankooks that came with it. I want to stick with the stock rim.

ive done some reading and I think from a look perspective without much modding besides a level I would like to move to a 285/65r20 from the stock 275/60r20. The problem with this size is its e rated only so 10 ply vs 4 ply

I do venture offroad For hunting and do some towing of a pop up which might be upgraded to a hard sided larger camper later and then a utility trailer for yard work and material stuff occasionally. But overall nothing I’d consider heavy as far as towing goes. That said the majority of my time will be on road hauling my kids and possibly going on vacation across country. So ride quality and mpg is still a major concern.

I believe the one comprise I have found is the nitto terra grappler in a 275/65/r20 in xl load range so 4 ply. This would give me my slight bump in height while retaining ride quality and mpg as they’re only 2 pounds heavier than these hankooks.

BUT to add confusion- I have a relative who works for continental and can get me general grabber atxs in LT285/65r20 for around $650 for a set of 4. I have run these in the past on my old gmc and liked them but that truck wasn’t anywhere near as smooth as this truck….

so I guess my question is - if you were me - what would you do? Stay 4 and preserve the ride and mileage but spend a bit more? Or say screw it and go to the LT and save some dough but forgo some mileage and ride quality?
Sponsored

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Watching. I too hate those garbage hankooks, ford decided to put on trucks and am considering changing to a AT tire of sorts without sacrificing ride quality and road noise. Without a lift-kit.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I had some 10-ply Continentals on my 2015, only because the standard ones were out of stock at the time and there was a good rebate on them. They definitely did give a significant hit to the mileage and ride quality. On the plus side they did last a while, I had close to 60k miles on them when I traded it in and they still had a good bit of life left in them.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I uograded to the Michelin 185’s on my Powerboost KR (20”). Best part of the truck - smooth at 50psi, no issues towing 10k lbs. (not so for the actual truck). from Tire Rack: LT285/60R-20 MICHELIN AGILIS CROSSCLIMATE SYMMETRICAL TREAD PATTERN E

powerboost_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PB XLT 302A & 2021- PB Lariat 502A
I upgrade my stock tires very time being in the forest industry and driving forestry roads. I need a good AT tire and 10ply to avoid flat tires from shot rock. I dumped the Stock Hankooks and went right into a 295/60R20 Toyo AT3 - 10ply with a 2" level kit for added clearance for waterbar crossings. I can say the ride is a little stiffer than stock but not by much.

I have stuck with Toyo AT's for the last 4 F150's trucks and they have been bullet proof off-road with no flat tires and good wearing overall. If you do any off-roading I would recommend to go at least to a 8 or 10ply AT of your choice to avoid sidewall punctures or flat tires.
Ford F-150 Moving from 4 to 10 ply tires PBTruck3
Ford F-150 Moving from 4 to 10 ply tires PBTruck4

Sponsored

OP
OP

satchamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX
I upgrade my stock tires very time being in the forest industry and driving forestry roads. I need a good AT tire and 10ply to avoid flat tires from shot rock. I dumped the Stock Hankooks and went right into a 295/60R20 Toyo AT3 - 10ply with a 2" level kit for added clearance for waterbar crossings. I can say the ride is a little stiffer than stock but not by much.

I have stuck with Toyo AT's for the last 4 F150's trucks and they have been bullet proof off-road with no flat tires and good wearing overall. If you do any off-roading I would recommend to go at least to a 8 or 10ply AT of your choice to avoid sidewall punctures or flat tires.
PBTruck3.jpg
PBTruck4.jpg
Your truck is perfect in every way thanks for sharing.

I ran 10 plys on my old truck and never had a flat in 10 years of ownership.... that was between BFG MT's, BFG AT KO, and General Grabber ATX.

The General Grabbers were actually my favorite of the 3 but that truck was always on 10 ply so i never really had a comparison to make with them. This f150 is so much smoother i can't even imagine going back to that truck.

I'm trying like hell to find a picture of 275/65/20 Nitto Terra G2's in a 4 ply on a truck. From what I've always seen - the 4 ply have a more balloon shape and tend to not look as good as 10 ply. Still overanalyzing my choice.... would like to have a meatier tire before elk season in Sept - thats all I know. But I have to drive from the Midwest to get to CO sooooo highway ride and fuel efficiency is still very important.

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Bronco Spt BL , '21 Tremor Ordered
From my experience, the only downsides I dealt with were a hit to fuel mileage because of the tire weight moving to an E rated tire, and the ride. The ride in particular was one that bothered me the most, it was significantly worse . The truck I drive however is a Reg Cab short bed so anything its definitely more pronounced in that truck.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
From my experience, the only downsides I dealt with were a hit to fuel mileage because of the tire weight moving to an E rated tire, and the ride. The ride in particular was one that bothered me the most, it was significantly worse . The truck I drive however is a Reg Cab short bed so anything its definitely more pronounced in that truck.
The weight differential in moving from the stock 20" Scorpions to E-rated Michelins was 10 pounds each. I was still able to achieve 24 mpg after the switch in my KR PowerBoost with the new 185 shoes. I notice no difference in ride at 50 psi. This is with an empty truck. Towing is a whole other story. my tires are: LT285/60R-20 MICHELIN AGILIS CROSSCLIMATE SYMMETRICAL TREAD PATTERN E
Sponsored