Sponsored

Mountain Bike Truck Bed Storage solutions?

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
My 21' supercrew should show up in a couple of weeks and will be installing a hard folding bed cover and a Bed Rug that only covers the bottom of the bed and not the sides. Bikes will be carried on a OneUp rack that I use now. I'm use to an SUV where my helmet, shoes, tool box, pump, towels, etc. sat in the back of the SUV for when I needed it and didn't roll around or make noise. I move those items from the SUV to garage after each ride. I didn't use any storage boxes and let them just sit back there and it worked fine.

With a big truck bed I worry that they will move around even with the Bed Rug and if they work their way towards the cab they will be out of reach without climbing into the bed. My cheap solution idea is to use plastic storage bins (probably only 1) and leave it back there full time. I still think it could slide around unless I secure it.

My expensive solution is swinging truck cases like this. I'm not too worried about the room they would take up in the bed but I'm looking for feedback from anyone that's used them on how they work for mountain bike purposes. I want to avoid using the backseat for storage since the bed will be locked via tailgate/hard folding cover.
https://www.americantrucks.com/unde...ystem-storage-system-passenger-side-1518.html
Sponsored

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
I was thinking about this as well. We use a Kuat rack for the mtn bikes and our gear ends up thrown in the back seat for now. Let me know what you decide!
Ford F-150 Mountain Bike Truck Bed Storage solutions? 86359848-D237-45BD-A436-22068C38F1C7

allJUMPstyle

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 VW Bug, 1963 VW Doublecab, 2021 F-150 ordered
You could try the bed extenders. When folded into the bed, it creates an area that holds everything close to the tailgate. Not sure how expensive they are though.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
My 21' supercrew should show up in a couple of weeks and will be installing a hard folding bed cover and a Bed Rug that only covers the bottom of the bed and not the sides. Bikes will be carried on a OneUp rack that I use now. I'm use to an SUV where my helmet, shoes, tool box, pump, towels, etc. sat in the back of the SUV for when I needed it and didn't roll around or make noise. I move those items from the SUV to garage after each ride. I didn't use any storage boxes and let them just sit back there and it worked fine.

With a big truck bed I worry that they will move around even with the Bed Rug and if they work their way towards the cab they will be out of reach without climbing into the bed. My cheap solution idea is to use plastic storage bins (probably only 1) and leave it back there full time. I still think it could slide around unless I secure it.

My expensive solution is swinging truck cases like this. I'm not too worried about the room they would take up in the bed but I'm looking for feedback from anyone that's used them on how they work for mountain bike purposes. I want to avoid using the backseat for storage since the bed will be locked via tailgate/hard folding cover.
https://www.americantrucks.com/unde...ystem-storage-system-passenger-side-1518.html
I just do the tailgate cover and toss my bikes over that. Truck is long enough as is without a hitch rack and I prefer to have my rear camera. I don’t usually bring everything every ride though just pack and shoes and maybe a pump. I just keep everything near the cab at the front of the bed and climb on the wheel to grab out what I need.

OP
OP
Littlefield82

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I just do the tailgate cover and toss my bikes over that. Truck is long enough as is without a hitch rack and I prefer to have my rear camera. I don’t usually bring everything every ride though just pack and shoes and maybe a pump. I just keep everything near the cab at the front of the bed and climb on the wheel to grab out what I need.
Which tailgate cover do you use that works well and allows use of the camera? I need it to work with a trifold cover as well. I bike multiple times per week so trying to figure out the best solution. Right now I’m leaning towards a rubber made bin with some stop sliders on the bottom that should keep it from sliding around. The swinging case is nice but maybe overkill and extra cost for something that I don’t need.

Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Which tailgate cover do you use that works well and allows use of the camera? I need it to work with a trifold cover as well. I bike multiple times per week so trying to figure out the best solution. Right now I’m leaning towards a rubber made bin with some stop sliders on the bottom that should keep it from sliding around. The swinging case is nice but maybe overkill and extra cost for something that I don’t need.
I use a Dakine tailgate cover, it has a flap that exposes the camera. I think most modern covers work that way you just need to make sure it sits pretty high given the camera position.

I’m not 100% sure how the fit would be with a trifold, it might be tight on space with one folded down. I have a cheap roll up cover (Tyger form Amazon) that mostly works fine since no rain gets in as long as I’m moving. If I’m stopped somewhere I usually take stuff out and throw it in the back so I can lock it up also. I’m thinking about getting a retrax for a bit better coverage but need to measure for clearance so I can let you know how much space is between the tire and the front of the bed when I do.

Edit: I’m not 100% sure on the pad because I received it as a gift but I believe it’s this one:

https://www.dakine.com/collections/bike-pickup-pads/products/pickup-pad-dlx-curve-s20

OP
OP
Littlefield82

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I use a Dakine tailgate cover, it has a flap that exposes the camera. I think most modern covers work that way you just need to make sure it sits pretty high given the camera position.

I’m not 100% sure how the fit would be with a trifold, it might be tight on space with one folded down. I have a cheap roll up cover (Tyger form Amazon) that mostly works fine since no rain gets in as long as I’m moving. If I’m stopped somewhere I usually take stuff out and throw it in the back so I can lock it up also. I’m thinking about getting a retrax for a bit better coverage but need to measure for clearance so I can let you know how much space is between the tire and the front of the bed when I do.

Edit: I’m not 100% sure on the pad because I received it as a gift but I believe it’s this one:

https://www.dakine.com/collections/bike-pickup-pads/products/pickup-pad-dlx-curve-s20
Just realized that a pad likely won't work as I'll have a Bed Rug installed so the straps can't go through the tailgate gap. I could always make some cuts in the Bed Rug if I decide I really want to use a pad.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just realized that a pad likely won't work as I'll have a Bed Rug installed so the straps can't go through the tailgate gap. I could always make some cuts in the Bed Rug if I decide I really want to use a pad.
Yeah - I also have heard of some people just leaving the straps off because they are annoying to attach and I’m not sure they do anything, but that seems like a less than ideal workaround.
FWIW I have been thinking about adding rails if I go the retrax route, but generally speaking I’ve been pretty happy with the tailgate pad for carrying bikes. It’s quick and simple and I’ve had 5 bikes on without issue and I think technically it can carry 7!
Sponsored