Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
An interesting read for those that ordered the Max Tow option.

https://tfltruck.com/2020/12/news-t...-floating-axle-it-may-be-delaying-your-truck/

News: These 2021 Ford F-150 Trucks Have a 3/4-Floating Axle & It May Be Delaying Your Truck

December 14, 2020

The new 2021 Ford F-150 trucks are starting to reach dealerships, but some are being delayed due to part supply shortages. TFLtruck has learned that the new F-150 maximum trailer towing package includes a 9.75-inch 3/4-floating rear axle. This axle may be delaying some new truck deliveries that are configured with a maximum towing package. Here are all the details.

This “3/4-floating” type of the rear axle provides additional load-carrying capacities that the new truck requires. Some configurations of the new F-150 are rated to tow up to 14,000 lbs. You may have heard of us talk about half-ton trucks using “semi-floating” axles and HD trucks riding on “fully-floating” axles. We have not explored or studied a “3/4-floating” rear axle design much, but this design is more similar to how a heavy duty fully-floating axle is setup.

The below diagram (not created by TFLtruck, source unknown) shows an HD fully-floating axle design on the left, and a “3/4-floating” axle design on the right. The latter design is more compact and uses a single ball bearing. The larger fully-floating axle design is using two ball bearings. It’s good to know that the models that are meant to haul and tow heavier are equipped with a different axle design to support the capability.

Why not just slap a fully-floating HD axle in the back of the new F-150? We do not have an official word on this, but the HD axle design is bulky and heavy. It may simply be overkill for a “half-ton truck” application. Although, any truck that is rated to tow 14,000 lbs can and should be considered a heavy duty vehicle.

Ford F-150 More details on 2021 F-150 delay due to Max Tow option uarter-floating-full-floating-axle-design-1024x387
source: unknown

Here is everything else that’s included in the new 2021 Ford F-150 maximum trailer towing axle. The unique towing mirrors are part of the package listed below.

Ford F-150 More details on 2021 F-150 delay due to Max Tow option 2021-ford-f-150-max-tow-pkg-price-1024x517

TFLtruck reached out to Ford to confirm the design of the max. trailer towing package, as well as the potential part shortage related to the axle. Ford confirmed the design of the axle and said this about it: “We’ve seen much higher demand for the max trailer tow package than originally anticipated, causing a commodity issue with a shortage of the floating 9.75 axle.

F-150 trucks not equipped with the max. trailer towing package have a different rear axle with a semi-floating design.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
So this got me thinking.... I don’t really need the extra towing capacity and I’d like more payload. But I want the 36 gallon tank and the 3.55 locking rear axle. I can forgo the max tow package and just get the trailer tow package plus the 36 gallon tank and the locking rear axle. But that costs another $655 more than max tow. More money for less truck?

hmm... I wonder why the max tow is more popular than they thought it would be....

OP
OP
KBKEITH

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So this got me thinking.... I don’t really need the extra towing capacity and I’d like more payload. But I want the 36 gallon tank and the 3.55 locking rear axle. I can forgo the max tow package and just get the trailer tow package plus the 36 gallon tank and the locking rear axle. But that costs another $655 more than max tow. More money for less truck?

hmm... I wonder why the max tow is more popular than they thought it would be....
I read somewhere that there has been a rise in RV/camper and boat sales during the pandemic. Could possibly explain the popularity of the Max Tow option.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
I read somewhere that there has been a rise in RV/camper and boat sales during the pandemic. Could possibly explain the popularity of the Max Tow option.
I think its mostly because people have figured out how good a deal the package is. You get the 3.55 E locker, 36 gallon tank, all these upgraded components, and the tow coolers. Its a very very cost effective option. When you compare it with something like FX-4 which basically just gives you some cheesy skid plates and cost nearly the same you can see why the option gets chosen so much.

OP
OP
KBKEITH

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think its mostly because people have figured out how good a deal the package is. You get the 3.55 E locker, 36 gallon tank, all these upgraded components, and the tow coolers. Its a very very cost effective option. When you compare it with something like FX-4 which basically just gives you some cheesy skid plates and cost nearly the same you can see why the option gets chosen so much.
Great point. Never really looked at it from that perspective.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Great point. Never really looked at it from that perspective.
The overall value of the Max Tow Package is exactly why I opted for it on my build. I will very rarely tow (it at all), but wanted the E-locking axle ratio, larger fuel tank, and larger rear brakes. The package is at least several hundred dollars cheaper than specking out those options individually, and some of the Max Tow features you cannot get as a standalone option.

Although it’s not nice to see, the TFL article does validate that the information we’ve been pooling together on our forum has been accurate.

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
I want to know if there is a downside to the axle.. Like, more noise or something that should sway me away from it..

I, like everyone else, think the max tow package is the best value of packages out there.. I do however see so many dealer ordered trucks that have the tow package, 36g tank and e-locker ordered separate.. May be because they knew this was an issue, or maybe because they can't add..

If you go with the Powerboost all of this changes however as it comes with its own tank and e-locker..

Vpswcci

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Taurus Limited, 2021 f150 Platinum (soon!)
I want to know if there is a downside to the axle.. Like, more noise or something that should sway me away from it..

I, like everyone else, think the max tow package is the best value of packages out there.. I do however see so many dealer ordered trucks that have the tow package, 36g tank and e-locker ordered separate.. May be because they knew this was an issue, or maybe because they can't add..

If you go with the Powerboost all of this changes however as it comes with its own tank and e-locker..
https://tfltruck.com/2020/12/news-t...-floating-axle-it-may-be-delaying-your-truck/

Sponsored

TexxasJam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150 FX2

The up tick in orders could also be for the fact if you want 3.73 with the 5.0 or 3.55 with 3.5 you HAVE to get the MAX Tow package. You cannot order 3.55's with the 5.0 which is weird. my 2013 has them.

Power Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Farmer
The up tick in orders could also be for the fact if you want 3.73 with the 5.0 or 3.55 with 3.5 you HAVE to get the MAX Tow package. You cannot order 3.55's with the 5.0 which is weird. my 2013 has them.
But remember the 2013 had 6 gears not 10. Not direct comparison. Ford did allow u 3.73 without max tow on 5.0Ls up until this year. In fact 2021 is first MY with max tow and 5.0L compatibility.

Whats interesting and news to me is ford allows 3.73 with max tow (only w 6.5s if B&P is right) without hdpp. That's a first. 11-14 max tow had 3.73 but 6 speed. Then 15-16 was back to 3.55s. Ford said weight loss made it enough. Then 17-20 while still 3.55 had 10 speed which offset flatter rear end.

If u look at 2021 axle chart someone posted in comments below tflt article looks like hd9.75 is only for hdpp so I'm not sure I'm buying that the max tow non hdpp has the same HD rear axle.