First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150/ 2005 GTO
Occupation
Console operator
Ordered base 5.0 king ranch that has max towing and 18” wheels.
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I believe it also requires 20” wheels that are costly, another $1395 if they are not standard equipment on the truck package that you order......
It does not require 20" wheels, it just is not allowed with the 18" Chrome Like PVD wheels or the 17" wheels I think. It is spelled out in the back of the order guide. I too have a KR 600A on order with 18" wheels, Max Tow, and the PowerBoost.

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
It is possible to keep to 18” wheels with KR - base package. You can have max tow with that. I would like Plat - 701H but might have to go with KR/base to keep 18” wheels + max tow.

So, max tow requiring 20” wheels is not a valid hypothesis.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
It is possible to keep to 18” wheels with KR - base package. You can have max tow with that. I would like Plat - 701H but might have to go with KR/base to keep 18” wheels + max tow.

So, max tow requiring 20” wheels is not a valid hypothesis.
Yes, I have a KR 600A with the base 18" wheels and Max Tow on order. According to the order guide, and my dealers computer ordering system, and the Ford B&P tool, this is a valid configuration. Of course I don't have a VIN...

Everyone thinking that Max Tow isn't available with 18" wheels is probably remembering back to the 2020 and earlier trucks where I believe Max Tow was not allowed with the 18" wheels. In the back of the 2021 Order Guide they have a section that details all the packages, and the details of Max Tow very clearly state the options that come with it and those options that are not compatible. The only 18" wheels listed as not compatible are the 18" Chrome-Like PVD wheels.

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
Yes, I have a KR 600A with the base 18" wheels and Max Tow on order. According to the order guide, and my dealers computer ordering system, and the Ford B&P tool, this is a valid configuration. Of course I don't have a VIN...

Everyone thinking that Max Tow isn't available with 18" wheels is probably remembering back to the 2020 and earlier trucks where I believe Max Tow was not allowed with the 18" wheels. In the back of the 2021 Order Guide they have a section that details all the packages, and the details of Max Tow very clearly state the options that come with it and those options that are not compatible. The only 18" wheels listed as not compatible are the 18" Chrome-Like PVD wheels.
That must be

That must be why Lariat chrome requires 20” wheels

Sponsored

Wally27

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Escape, 2020 Ford Edge
Occupation
Cabinet Maker
My 15 and 18 were both Lariat sport 502a with max tow packages with 18” wheels

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
My 15 and 18 were both Lariat sport 502a with max tow packages with 18” wheels
OK, so the previous generation must have had certain wheel exclusions that everyone assumes were tied to the 18" size and were in reality tied to a specific style of wheel. I never shopped the previous generations, so I was just assuming based on what I had read on other forums that you really couldn't get Max Tow on the previous trucks with 18s. Thanks for setting that straight.

Bburgeng

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, Escape, 2021 King Ranch F150
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Has anyone test drove a 2021 with the Max Tow? Wondering if it would be a stiffer ride than just the trailer tow.

dougbillings

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum - Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Software Sales
So if I'm reading this correctly, this is a shortage issue and should not impact any truck that has already been built and shipped and is currently 'in transit'. Right?

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
So if I'm reading this correctly, this is a shortage issue and should not impact any truck that has already been built and shipped and is currently 'in transit'. Right?
According to one knowledgeable inventory gentleman on this site, if your truck has a build week assigned, then the parts have *already* been allocated to it, so any shortage will not affect you. It impacts the rate they can continue to assign new build weeks. And obviously any already built, it is just the transit logistics and backlog getting the dearborn trucks out impacting you.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Has anyone test drove a 2021 with the Max Tow? Wondering if it would be a stiffer ride than just the trailer tow.
All of the trucks at the Ford test drive event were equipped with the Max Tow packages from what the Ford reps stated.

I haven’t driven many trucks to fairly compare, but in my opinion they all rode very comfortably for larger vehicles.

ImMrKeith

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
So this got me thinking.... I don’t really need the extra towing capacity and I’d like more payload. But I want the 36 gallon tank and the 3.55 locking rear axle. I can forgo the max tow package and just get the trailer tow package plus the 36 gallon tank and the locking rear axle. But that costs another $655 more than max tow. More money for less truck?

hmm... I wonder why the max tow is more popular than they thought it would be....
Perhaps because of the Corona virus has people buying up all the travel trailers? More towing power means more trailer options. Just a thought.

rikker

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Sport PB, 20 Escape Titanium Hybrid
Occupation
Distributor/Dirt Mover
I don't think it does anymore, at least, not on the Lariat Sport I spec'd.
The Lariat Sport I ordered is coming someday with 18" Wheels and Max Tow package. Rick
Ford F-150 More details on 2021 F-150 delay due to Max Tow option 2021 F150 order