Sponsored

Moonroof 22 lariat wanted extra sunshade

livewire2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Powerboost Lariat 4x4
Thanks! I’ll look at ceramic on the glass. Any particular mfg you recommend? Can you post a picture too?
Best I can do right now. My side windows have the same tint my pano has.
I went with IRX from LLUMAR
I have IRX 50 on the pano though. Just so I didn’t cut out too much light. You barely feel any heat.
Ford F-150 Moonroof 22 lariat wanted extra sunshade 8ACF1245-CC3A-41BF-A4AE-3689A3D2823B
Sponsored

OP
OP
TechGodfather

TechGodfather

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Chief Technology Advisor
Yep ceramic is the best way to go. I went with XPel 70% ceramic tint on windshield and moon roof. 110% here in south texas and it makes a HUGE difference. Black leather is never hot to the touch and AC cools off the truck very quick.
Picture if ya can please. And thanks!

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, Lariat, 5.0, Fx4, 502A, Carbonized Gray
is there some science behind this? I’ve never heard of it but I’ve also never had a sunroof either. Ordered one though. What’s so special about the sun roof?
It's the closest thing to a convertable. I like having the whole interior lit up with natural light.

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
It's the closest thing to a convertable. I like having the whole interior lit up with natural light.
I agree lol that's why I added the sunroof to my truck as well. I was asking why would tint cause a sunroof to break and not the other windows that are also tinted and sitting in the sun.

Sponsored

mike4339

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Occupation
retired
I don't have a sun/moon roof on my new F-150, but had the panoramic roof on my 2019 F-350. This is not a tint comment, but a tip that can save some lots of $$ and a huge headache. I never opened my shade because I didn't like the heat beating in on my head. While driving through Idaho on vacation, the backseat passengers wanted to see something, so I opened the shade. As it got to about the 3/4 open position, plastic pieces started flying all over the inside of the cab, and the shade started folding up because the rollers had stopped moving. From that point, I was not able to close the shade. Once home, I took my truck to the local Ford dealership and the first thing the service guy asked was do I regularly lubricate the sunshade rails? Really? I had never heard of that. I told him I had looked through my owner's manual and saw nothing about sunshade maintenance. He told me that it was not in there, but because they had seen so many issues like mine, that they started providing that service...Who knew?? Anyway, they repaired my sunshade under warranty, and good thing because it would have cost about $2700. Moral of this long story, if you have a sun/moon roof, ask about maintenance/lubrication when your service your truck, or any Ford vehicle for that matter.

mike4339

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Occupation
retired
Yep ceramic is the best way to go. I went with XPel 70% ceramic tint on windshield and moon roof. 110% here in south texas and it makes a HUGE difference. Black leather is never hot to the touch and AC cools off the truck very quick.
I have my windshield done too, but went with 80% because its easier for me to see at night. It really does make a difference in the inside temperature.

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
I think the sunshade on my 21 f150 blocked more heat than the sunshade on my 22. There are small pin holes that a small amount of light gets through that I didn’t notice in my 21.

wolfman1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502A
I'm in the San Antonio area, where did you get your tint job done?

Sponsored

JeffInCOS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lincoln Nautius BL
Occupation
Retired USAF and IT
getexoshield.com and find an installer near you.

This film is put on windshields on the outside. They would apply it on the outside of your sunroof. That way the heat is never transferred to the glass and doesn't break it (in theory). This of course is speculation on my part and not proven in court.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I don't have a sun/moon roof on my new F-150, but had the panoramic roof on my 2019 F-350. This is not a tint comment, but a tip that can save some lots of $$ and a huge headache. I never opened my shade because I didn't like the heat beating in on my head. While driving through Idaho on vacation, the backseat passengers wanted to see something, so I opened the shade. As it got to about the 3/4 open position, plastic pieces started flying all over the inside of the cab, and the shade started folding up because the rollers had stopped moving. From that point, I was not able to close the shade. Once home, I took my truck to the local Ford dealership and the first thing the service guy asked was do I regularly lubricate the sunshade rails? Really? I had never heard of that. I told him I had looked through my owner's manual and saw nothing about sunshade maintenance. He told me that it was not in there, but because they had seen so many issues like mine, that they started providing that service...Who knew?? Anyway, they repaired my sunshade under warranty, and good thing because it would have cost about $2700. Moral of this long story, if you have a sun/moon roof, ask about maintenance/lubrication when your service your truck, or any Ford vehicle for that matter.
My dad had a similar experience with his 2010 F150 moonroof (not a Pano). He almost never used it. Opened it up after not using it for probably a year, and it got stuck halfway and started making terrible noises. Had to have the whole thing replaced outside of warranty, unfortunately.

I try to operate my moonroof shade and glass at least a couple of times per week, which I figure should keep the rails, etc. adequately lubed. But it's nice to know some dealers lubricate it for you.

ThyDayWalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PB Lariat 502A
Any info oh how/what they use to lube? I wouldn't mind doing it myself...

mike4339

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Occupation
retired
Any info oh how/what they use to lube? I wouldn't mind doing it myself...
I don't know what they use or how they do it. If I kept that truck, I would have had them do that service when I took it in for it's 30K service..

OP
OP
TechGodfather

TechGodfather

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Chief Technology Advisor
Based on everyone’s help and research I had XPEL XR PLUS 30% installed today. So much better already!
Ford F-150 Moonroof 22 lariat wanted extra sunshade F29DE6EA-E9B3-4ACF-B3FC-138919C83D60
Sponsored