First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
My question is, when you updated the PCM, did you reset the adaptive shifting tables? Because doing that always results in better shifting to me.
I did not, but I will do that the next time I have an active FDRS subscription
Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
I did not, but I will do that the next time I have an active FDRS subscription
Sorry let me rephrase the question...
Does updating the PCM also reset the shifting tables, which is why the shifting feels better/smoother? Because if yes, that means that, by itself, updating it isn't going to be helpful.
If no, then that's great news because it implies there's newer, improved shifting logic built in.

OP
OP
speedracercjr

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Sorry let me rephrase the question...
Does updating the PCM also reset the shifting tables, which is why the shifting feels better/smoother? Because if yes, that means that, by itself, updating it isn't going to be helpful.
If no, then that's great news because it implies there's newer, improved shifting logic built in.
Oh great question. @Jesse-Infotainment @iceman77 any idea if this happens?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
yes it does if you disconnect your battery for while it resets as well

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
Are all you guys updating your modules using the FDRS method or the dealer?

Sponsored

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
So using the FDRS method you can update every module in the truck!

capitals25

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Platinum
When I was in for service a couple weeks ago, I mentioned frequent clunky shifting and also bad stuttering when giving gas on slight highway incline around the 55 MPH mark. They said that Ford asks them to wait until 10,000 miles before they'll do much investigation on the transmission because it can take that long for the ECU to settle in. (I'm at 7,500) Seems way too long for that to make sense, but maybe I'm wrong.

Saw this thread and wondering if there are more widespread reports of improvement after these updates. The harshness of the shifting is so bad sometimes that I'm concerned about long-term damage to the transmission.

Thought about just doing an ECU reset by unplugging 12v batteries, but not sure if that in itself is enough to see the improvement. (Anyone know the correct way to detach BOTH 12v on the PB?)

Also curious if I end up waiting for the OTA or if I ask the dealer to update, will that do all the updates that might be part of the ride improvement?

Appreciate any info or feedback.

Autofill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
When I was in for service a couple weeks ago, I mentioned frequent clunky shifting and also bad stuttering when giving gas on slight highway incline around the 55 MPH mark. They said that Ford asks them to wait until 10,000 miles before they'll do much investigation on the transmission because it can take that long for the ECU to settle in. (I'm at 7,500) Seems way too long for that to make sense, but maybe I'm wrong.

Saw this thread and wondering if there are more widespread reports of improvement after these updates. The harshness of the shifting is so bad sometimes that I'm concerned about long-term damage to the transmission.

Thought about just doing an ECU reset by unplugging 12v batteries, but not sure if that in itself is enough to see the improvement. (Anyone know the correct way to detach BOTH 12v on the PB?)

Also curious if I end up waiting for the OTA or if I ask the dealer to update, will that do all the updates that might be part of the ride improvement?

I had my dealer perform this TSB and the harsh shifting has pretty much disappeared.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/7501/10r80-...sh-electric-to-gas-transition-2021-ford-f-150

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Good morning, Matt! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into these transmission and OTA concerns for you on my end. Thanks!

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
yes it does if you disconnect your battery for while it resets as well
Do you just disconnect the negative on the battery for the Powerboost hybrid? Is there more to it for the hybrid? Thx.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Do you just disconnect the negative on the battery for the Powerboost hybrid? Is there more to it for the hybrid? Thx.
oh no don’t do that with PB

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Sorry I just don’t suggest anything with the PB battery because damage can occurs with not disconnecting them correctly.

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
My shifting on my 3.0 Powerstroke has been much better post updates.
I am hoping mine improves after all the updates completed. I have had a harsh 1-3 shift, an odd clunk around 20 mph and a horrible clunk when it downshifts from 10 to 8.
Sponsored