Mirror appreciation

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Appreciation post. I’m sorry but these are literally some of the best mirrors I’ve ever owned. Totally eliminates blind spots, well done on Fords part.

Ford F-150 Mirror appreciation 149C8700-5D06-402D-92A3-DCD0BAE32022
Sponsored

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
There's a company out there that make their own mirror inserts for a lot of popular mirrors. It basically doubles their FOV. None for 21+ F150, here's the difference. It replaces the glass mirror itself, nothing more....
Ford F-150 Mirror appreciation 1680556678067

vs stock
Ford F-150 Mirror appreciation 1680556712579

Company is SUMA

Still has BLISS notification, adds turn signal (optional if you want it hooked up)
Ford F-150 Mirror appreciation 1680556843153

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
That’s sweet. I don’t have BLIS, but the stock blind spot mirrors are great and I can always see the hazard. My aunts new GMC Denali has BLIS but no blind spot mirrors and I’d argue the blind spot mirrors alone are much safer than her BLIS alone. I can actually see the car in my blind spot, in the GMC you can’t see and all you get is the light. Both together is ideal (like upper trim F-150s). I can live without the BLIS with these though.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s sweet. I don’t have BLIS, but the stock blind spot mirrors are great and I can always see the hazard. My aunts new GMC Denali has BLIS but no blind spot mirrors and I’d argue the blind spot mirrors alone are much safer than her BLIS alone. I can actually see the car in my blind spot, in the GMC you can’t see and all you get is the light. Both together is ideal (like upper trim F-150s). I can live without the BLIS with these though.
The bliss has 100 degree FOV (per side) and can see behind you (it's on the 45 degree angle between the side and rear of the vehicle able to see directly behind and every so slightly forward of directly to the side). It's also got secondary advantages in that it can see a vehicle approaching you and warns of approaching traffic. Let's say you're backing out of a spot and have a van or another truck / vehicle prohibiting perfect vision, the radar warns you that there's an approaching object on a collision course with your vehicle. You'd need a helluva compound mirror setup to see it. It triggers an on-screen warning below on your backup view showing the location of the vehicle.

Enjoy the pro visual job showing you its total coverage area :)
Ford F-150 Mirror appreciation 1680559236848

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
The bliss has 100 degree FOV (per side) and can see behind you (it's on the 45 degree angle between the side and rear of the vehicle able to see directly behind and every so slightly forward of directly to the side). It's also got secondary advantages in that it can see a vehicle approaching you and warns of approaching traffic. Let's say you're backing out of a spot and have a van or another truck / vehicle prohibiting perfect vision, the radar warns you that there's an approaching object on a collision course with your vehicle. You'd need a helluva compound mirror setup to see it. It triggers an on-screen warning below on your backup view showing the location of the vehicle.

Enjoy the pro visual job showing you its total coverage area :)
1680559236848.png
That’s neat. HATE the backup camera on the other hand, that could use some more field of vision like your photo there. They are lucky the nice mirrors make up for it :). Do Lariat and above get a better backup camera? If not I feel bad for you guys, it’s barely adequate for the STX, ifI spent 60-70 I’d expect better.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s neat. HATE the backup camera on the other hand, that could use some more field of vision like your photo there. They are lucky the nice mirrors make up for it :). Do Lariat and above get a better backup camera? If not I feel bad for you guys, it’s barely adequate for the STX, ifI spent 60-70 I’d expect better.
The camera does actually have 178 degrees field of vision, they just don't give it to you. The 360 cams are the same w/ same FOV. To get an idea of what they can see, turn on cams, hit the one w/ 3 little thingies on the front and look at the wide view. Pay attention to what it can see, you'll be very surprised.

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL
Appreciation post. I’m sorry but these are literally some of the best mirrors I’ve ever owned. Totally eliminates blind spots, well done on Fords part.

149C8700-5D06-402D-92A3-DCD0BAE32022.jpeg
When I picked up my truck last week, my first thought was "hey, old man mirror inserts"! I have to admit to liking them - but then again I am 56.

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I hate the way those mirrors look and got the tow mirrors instead with my order.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Unfortunately upper trim F150s only get BLIS and no spotter mirror. Unless you opt for tow mirrors, of course. You're correct about GMC though; spotter mirrors are eliminated when BLIS is present on the truck. AFAIK, Ram is the only of the big three that provides BLIS plus spotters on non-tow mirrors, and I'm jealous every time I drive by one. Not sure about Titans or Tundras.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Unfortunately upper trim F150s only get BLIS and no spotter mirror. Unless you opt for tow mirrors, of course. You're correct about GMC though; spotter mirrors are eliminated when BLIS is present on the truck. AFAIK, Ram is the only of the big three that provides BLIS plus spotters on non-tow mirrors, and I'm jealous every time I drive by one. Not sure about Titans or Tundras.
Interesting, I figured they all had the spotter mirror and just added BLIS. That’s a shame because it’s very nice. The way they are oriented no lie gives you 100% view of the blind spots. A car on my side will be totally absent on the regular glass and be totally square in the center on the spotter. My last truck had an awful blind spot and I always had to look over my shoulder, these totally eliminate that drama.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I hate the way those mirrors look and got the tow mirrors instead with my order.
It actually took a bit to get used to the look but they are starting to grow on me

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting, I figured they all had the spotter mirror and just added BLIS. That’s a shame because it’s very nice. The way they are oriented no lie gives you 100% view of the blind spots. A car on my side will be totally absent on the regular glass and be totally square in the center on the spotter. My last truck had an awful blind spot and I always had to look over my shoulder, these totally eliminate that drama.
Totally agree. My 2015 Canyon had spotters with no BLIS, and I'd almost prefer that. I've learned to trust the BLIS after 12,000 miles but only because I have no choice BUT to trust it. Still get nervous and hope for the best in some merging situations.

What the BLIS absolutely cannot help with is merging into traffic at acute angles, if that make sense. With a spotter, you can easily see the traffic you're merging into without having to contort yourself. Without the spotter, I find I need to lean all the way forward almost until my face is hitting the steering wheel to be able to see the traffic I am merging into.

I assume @Snakebitten will chime in with a laudably optimistic and positive outlook on the mirror situation and how lucky we are to have BLIS, but he has tow mirrors! 🤣

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Totally agree. My 2015 Canyon had spotters with no BLIS, and I'd almost prefer that. I've learned to trust the BLIS after 12,000 miles but only because I have no choice BUT to trust it. Still get nervous and hope for the best in some merging situations.

What the BLIS absolutely cannot help with is merging into traffic at acute angles, if that make sense. With a spotter, you can easily see the traffic you're merging into without having to contort yourself. Without the spotter, I find I need to lean all the way forward almost until my face is hitting the steering wheel to be able to see the traffic I am merging into.

I assume @Snakebitten will chime in with a laudably optimistic and positive outlook on the mirror situation and how lucky we are to have BLIS, but he has tow mirrors! 🤣
I'm constantly watching traffic around me with a mental map. There are people who intentionally sit in blind spots hoping your insurance will fix whatever busted ass stuff they'd done to their car. Maintain situational awareness at all times, and have alternate routes thought of in advance.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm constantly watching traffic around me with a mental map. There are people who intentionally sit in blind spots hoping your insurance will fix whatever busted ass stuff they'd done to their car. Maintain situational awareness at all times, and have alternate routes thought of in advance.
I do what I can, but...NJ drivers

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do what I can, but...NJ drivers
Switch into 'war driving' mode, aka ATL traffic :)
The place where you get pulled over for not doing 20 over blocking a trooper behind you.

Yes, that's 9 lanes north and it's just as fun as you'd imagine. I'm pretty sure there's a never-ending competition to see how many lanes you can cross in one go, quite often, that is when it's not a parking lot.
Ford F-150 Mirror appreciation 1680576566689
Sponsored

Last edited: