Michelin vs Goodyear Wrangler (OEM)

Daltonn

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
It's hard to choose between Goodyear Wrangler vs Michelin Defender, but I will show some opinions about these tires, hope it is useful for you. I will compare Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT vs Michelin Defender. Overall, The Defender tires perform better in wet, dry, and snowy conditions than the Fortitude HT. Besides that, it also has 15,000 miles more in support than the Goodyear tire.

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Just found out that my 2021 XTR arrived at the dealership with Michelin Tires but really wanted the Goodyear Wranglers. I just prefer the look of the white lettering on the Goodyear’s, no other reason.

I got the idea(from currybob) of asking the dealer to swap them for me but from the info I found online, the Michelin’s will suit me better on Canadian winter road conditions.

My current 2018 F150 has the Goodyear’s so I already know how they perform. I don’t really care too much about noise or fuel efficiency being affected with the swap but safety is the main concern as my wife and child will be in there more often than me.

Focusing on safety, would the swap be a good or bad idea?? Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Michelin make them in raise white letters. Michelins IMO

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Michelin make them in raise white letters. Michelins IMO
I’ve had the Michelins with the white letters for two full winters and I must say that they are dog shit on snow and ice so if you’re in Canada like me it’s not a good choice.
The Goodyear wranglers I had on my previous truck weren’t amazing in the winter but definitely better than the Michelins I got

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I hated the stock wranglers on my old 17. They were quiet and fairly efficient, but cornered like crap and had no traction in wet/snow/dirt. The Michelin Primacy tires that came on my XLT with 18s have been really good comparatively, even if they seem to be a little less efficient.

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have run a set of Goodyear Wranglers on my 06, 11 and 21 F 150's for the last 12 years. Been great in Manitoba winters. Thinking I will get one more year out of them and will have to replace them. Will get the same again.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Go to the various websites for tires, including americas tire store and read the reviews of people who have bought and used the tires shown.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/michelin-ltx-a-t-2#read-reviews

For example there are currently 1118 reviews for the Michelin LTX A/T 2 tire. Far more information than you can hope to get on any forum.

I have read many favorable reviews regarding the long life of some Michelin LT tires but my neighbor had them on his GM 2500 truck from the factory and he drives every day on a gravel roads and hated that the tires picked up the gravel and then when he got on paved roads the stones were tossed up against the truck.

In terms of safety it is more of a problem with unskilled, aggressive, and or inattentive drivers than with aspects of the their vehicles or tires. Failure of most drivers to use their cell phones hands free has made the roads far more hazardous and deadly.

someday

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Antimatter Blue PB XLT High
I’ve had the Michelins with the white letters for two full winters and I must say that they are dog shit on snow and ice so if you’re in Canada like me it’s not a good choice.
The Goodyear wranglers I had on my previous truck weren’t amazing in the winter but definitely better than the Michelins I got
Lots of chatter about the Michelin Defenders in this thread, but if you got the OEM Michelins, were they the Primacy XC? Those were OEM on my truck and they are indeed dog shit on snow and ice. Which was why I bought some proper snows (Conti Vikingcontact 7) for it.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Lots of chatter about the Michelin Defenders in this thread, but if you got the OEM Michelins, were they the Primacy XC? Those were OEM on my truck and they are indeed dog shit on snow and ice. Which was why I bought some proper snows (Conti Vikingcontact 7) for it.
Lol yes primacy’s are the ones. Dog shit they are indeed. When they need replacing I’ve been eyeing these big juicy Goodyear wrangler duractrac’s.

If I could find them with the white letters I’m gonna throw em onto my chrome 18” factory wheels.

Ideally, I would have them on some “18 sport factory wheels. God I love those ones so much but I would only get them if I could find a set for under $1000. Honesty one of the nicest ford wheels I’ve ever seen

someday

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Antimatter Blue PB XLT High
Ideally, I would have them on some “18 sport factory wheels. God I love those ones so much but I would only get them if I could find a set for under $1000. Honesty one of the nicest ford wheels I’ve ever seen
Shortly after I took delivery, I picked up a set of new takeoff OEM chrome 18" wheels on eBay for $600. That's what my snows got mounted on. Some very minor scratches on them, but it was a pretty sweet deal. Worth a look there if you want to find some wheels., but not sure if those sweet deals extend to our neighbors to the north.

Edit: the wheels were $800 for the set. My memory is gentle to me :sneaky:

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Shortly after I took delivery, I picked up a set of new takeoff OEM chrome 18" wheels on eBay for $600. That's what my snows got mounted on. Some very minor scratches on them, but it was a pretty sweet deal. Worth a look there if you want to find some wheels., but not sure if those sweet deals extend to our neighbors to the north.

Edit: the wheels were $800 for the set. My memory is gentle to me :sneaky:
Lol that last part killed me. $600 for a full set is awesome. I’ve seen some really nice deals on this site as well but it does suck being in canada. Most guys wouldn’t ship and it would be quite the mission to pick them up. I actually saw someone with a brand new set of beautiful raptor wheels(no tires) for $1000 if anyone is interested. Too far for me, I think he was in Cali. But damn they were sweet

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I only use the Duratracs in the winter and they are, to me anyway, a very noisy tire on the highway and I can't wait to get them off in the spring. That being said, I found them good in snow and OK on ice. I would get them again. Mine are 275/70R18's and when turning the wheel tight, there is a slight rubbing noise. The stock tires are 265/70R18's and they don't rub. Next time I get them, I will look at 260 or 255's so they don't rub on a tight turn. Lock to lock type turn.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I only use the Duratracs in the winter and they are, to me anyway, a very noisy tire on the highway and I can't wait to get them off in the spring. That being said, I found them good in snow and OK on ice. I would get them again. Mine are 275/70R18's and when turning the wheel tight, there is a slight rubbing noise. The stock tires are 265/70R18's and they don't rub. Next time I get them, I will look at 260 or 255's so they don't rub on a tight turn. Lock to lock type turn.
Solid info. I’m gonna go for the 265’s if I can find them. If you get the chance please share a pic with the duratracs on. I love the way they look

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Solid info. I’m gonna go for the 265’s if I can find them. If you get the chance please share a pic with the duratracs on. I love the way they look
Sorry - don't have any pictures of the Duratracs on the truck. From what I could find, they don't make Duratracs in a 265/70 R18.
Sponsored