Sponsored

Metallic squeal under braking, sheered axle bolt?

AustinH97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost, 502A, 7.2Kw
Well it's a bummer this is my first post on this 14th gen forum. 2021 Powerboost Lariat with 20k miles and the other day I heard a metallic noise when braking and then also noticed it while accelerating till a certain speed (sound most likely drowned out). It almost sounded like a dust shield rubbing on the rotor. Pulled off my rear right wheel this afternoon so I could get a good look at the whole area and a sheered bolt clanked out and onto the ground. I'm thinking it's the axle bolt but I didn't spend much time looking at it as I had other things I needed to get done and didn't want to diag something i'm not gonna fix myself. Has anyone else had this happen? This truck no modifications to anything drivetrain related. Going to drop it off at my nearby dealer and hope they're not swamped.

Ford F-150 Metallic squeal under braking, sheered axle bolt? IMG_0245.JPG
Ford F-150 Metallic squeal under braking, sheered axle bolt? IMG_0246.JPG
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
If you Search the forum for something like max tow sheared axle bolt and you will find lots of folks that had this happen.

there are two different 9.75 rear axles and the HD version has the bolt that supposedly breaks

OP
OP
AustinH97

AustinH97

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost, 502A, 7.2Kw
If you Search the forum for something like max tow sheared axle bolt and you will find lots of folks that had this happen.

there are two different 9.75 rear axles and the HD version has the bolt that supposedly breaks
Just did some searching. Thanks for the info. Hopefully whatever parts they need aren't backordered and that the dealer has a loaner available. Wonder if this issue is recall worthy yet.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Well it's a bummer this is my first post on this 14th gen forum. 2021 Powerboost Lariat with 20k miles and the other day I heard a metallic noise when braking and then also noticed it while accelerating till a certain speed (sound most likely drowned out). It almost sounded like a dust shield rubbing on the rotor. Pulled off my rear right wheel this afternoon so I could get a good look at the whole area and a sheered bolt clanked out and onto the ground. I'm thinking it's the axle bolt but I didn't spend much time looking at it as I had other things I needed to get done and didn't want to diag something i'm not gonna fix myself. Has anyone else had this happen? This truck no modifications to anything drivetrain related. Going to drop it off at my nearby dealer and hope they're not swamped.

IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/can-anyone-tell-me-what-this-is-part-failure-on-axle.8963/

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG
Good morning! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can assist with your concerns on my end.
Sponsored