EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
FOR FACTORY TOW MIRRORS:

I dissed the Elephant Ears on an F150 for years.

Then I drove one with them for a road trip.

I suddenly realized how much I missed them from my SuperDuty days. Had a helping of personal crow eating and special ordered my KingRanch Powerboost with the huge ears.

AGAINST:

I'm sure I don't want the tow mirrors. They're heavier and overly big, with an MPG hit, as per a truck driving friend of mine who has them on a 2021. I'll deal with that via BLISS and rear and running light cameras on the trailer.

WAFFLEING: 😁 😉

Your opinion on the tow mirrors is swaying mine. I suspect you're right that BLIS and cameras can be an adequate (or better) substitute. That makes the XLT more acceptable, as you can't get electric-folding mirrors except on Lariat or higher.

OUR EXPERIENCE:

Our truck does not have tow mirrors. Our 2008 Ram 1500 had to go, so I bought off a dealer lot.

My prior head injury means my wife does almost all of our driving. From around town to multi-state trips towing our travel trailer.

On our first trip out with the F150 and trailer she was uncomfortable not knowing what was behind her (she was used to the aftermarket tow mirrors I added to the RAM). Then I added a VisionWorks HD wireless rear-view camera* and she was very comfortable again.

We have had several discussions about adding either factory or clip-on tow mirrors, but her response has always been "I'm happy the way it is".

One concern we have is the factory tow mirrors in combination with her short stature. With her preferred seat position, it is highly doubtful she would be able to see over those "elephant ears" - causing a good portion of her left-forward visibility to be obscured.

* FOOTNOTES
The VisionWorks wireless camera with display monitor is excellent. We have had it for over a year, on many trips, and there hasn't been a single drop-out! Their customer service is great, as well!

That said, wanting TPMS for the trailer I have purchased the Ford accessory package with TPMS and trailer cam. We'll see if we like having the trailer cam displayed on the 12" center screen better.
Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
FOR FACTORY TOW MIRRORS:

AGAINST:

WAFFLEING: 😁 😉

OUR EXPERIENCE:

Our truck does not have tow mirrors. Our 2008 Ram 1500 had to go, so I bought off a dealer lot.

My prior head injury means my wife does almost all of our driving. From around town to multi-state trips towing our travel trailer.

On our first trip out with the F150 and trailer she was uncomfortable not knowing what was behind her (she was used to the aftermarket tow mirrors I added to the RAM). Then I added a VisionWorks HD wireless rear-view camera* and she was very comfortable again.

We have had several discussions about adding either factory or clip-on tow mirrors, but her response has always been "I'm happy the way it is".

One concern we have is the factory tow mirrors in combination with her short stature. With her preferred seat position, it is highly doubtful she would be able to see over those "elephant ears" - causing a good portion of her left-forward visibility to be obscured.

* FOOTNOTES
The VisionWorks wireless camera with display monitor is excellent. We have had it for over a year, on many trips, and there hasn't been a single drop-out! Their customer service is great, as well!

That said, wanting TPMS for the trailer I have purchased the Ford accessory package with TPMS and trailer cam. We'll see if we like having the trailer cam displayed on the 12" center screen better.
Thanks for the exposure to the Vison works camera system.

Pros (relative to Furrion)

Allegedly, can be integrated to the in dash screen.

Cons

Does not list side cameras, or infrared capability.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Also, the trailer coverage Blis provides works wonderfully with our 22 Ft Lance (25 Ft - ball to bumper).

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
Trailers blind BLISS -- here's an idea...
That is illustrative but I bought a trailer-mounted camera kit from a SuperDuty on ebay for cheap. Whenever I get the next vehicle, I'll cobble together whatever's required to make it work with the 360 cameras on the F150. That puts the image on the 12" screen and, I believe, will supplement the view.
Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? BLIS vs mirrors

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
That is illustrative but I bought a trailer-mounted camera kit from a SuperDuty on ebay for cheap. Whenever I get the next vehicle, I'll cobble together whatever's required to make it work with the 360 cameras on the F150. That puts the image on the 12" screen and, I believe, will supplement the view.
BLIS vs mirrors.png
Once the new software drops if you have 360 cams on the truck it will show you your blindspot.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/turn-signal-cameras.7375/page-2#post-332496

The new superduty has 360 cams for the trailers too which SHOULD work with the proper rear bumper harness on the truck. I've got mine on order. That enables all of the trailer features like cam, sway control, TPMS, etc...

Sponsored

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Perhaps we should spin off the tow mirrors vs BLIS and cameras to a different thread? It's an interesting topic to me but, other than a modest effect on the weight of the vehicle, is neither a payload nor a PB issue.

Is anybody here a mod?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Perhaps we should spin off the tow mirrors vs BLIS and cameras to a different thread? It's an interesting topic to me but, other than a modest effect on the weight of the vehicle, is neither a payload nor a PB issue.

Is anybody here a mod?
No need, this thread has run its course.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Yeah, that's why we're talking about tow mirrors on a payload thread.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There is a towing and hauling forum on this site.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Way off topic but this isn't worth a new thread:

I was poking about Ford's BlueCruise marketing pages and was amused by the F150 model in the pictures. Note that it's shown next to an Airstream, one of the heaviest trailers you can pull. And, you can't use BlueCruise while towing?

If you drill down further into the F150 marketing pages, the first picture is a Platinum PB FX4, also shown next to an Airstream. Not likely. Maybe they're visiting their camping friends?

Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? {filename}

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Way off topic but this isn't worth a new thread:

I was poking about Ford's BlueCruise marketing pages and was amused by the F150 model in the pictures. Note that it's shown next to an Airstream, one of the heaviest trailers you can pull. And, you can't use BlueCruise while towing?

If you drill down further into the F150 marketing pages, the first picture is a Platinum PB FX4, also shown next to an Airstream. Not likely. Maybe they're visiting their camping friends?

Usually, marketing strategies are to show all kinds of capabilities... yet then they follow with an asterisk and say photos are for illustration purposes only and to check the guide for specific vehicle limits. There is always a push/pull between marketing, engineering, and legal depts.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I understand. It's just ironic that they show the model of F150 that's least likely to be able to pull that trailer.

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
A 7.5x kWh output pure sinewave inverter that works in hybrid mode? It's not even a question....
I cant believe I almost missed out. I went back and changed my order 2 weeks later. I use it all the time. People dont think about locked rooter amp loads

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just got my payload numbers last night via the towing calculator on the, my vehicle dashboard, on Ford.com (you have to create an account). If yours works as mine did, this will be available to you more or less immediately after build but well before shipping.

1658lbs.. Exactly what EricR's came to.

2023, 501a, PB, 4x4, SB, 7.2KW, tow, nav, 360.

Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? 20230504_121300 (2)

The towing calculator is pretty nice. It lets you add passenger weight, accessories and cargo, then spits out your custom, max tongue and trailer weights.

For us, that will be ~375lbs. of passengers, including a day bag of drinks and snacks, phones, laptops etc. ~250lbs. of planned accessories including WDH and ~100lbs. in common tools I usually carry, resulting in an available max tongue weight of 933lbs. and max trailer weight of 9330.

This should work out very well.

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just got my payload numbers last night via the towing calculator on the, my vehicle dashboard, on Ford.com (you have to create an account). If yours works as mine did, this will be available to you more or less immediately after build but well before shipping.

1658lbs.. Exactly what EricR's came to.

This should out very well.
Sweet! Looks like they're actually giving a little more credit for the HSW delete. Crazy that the lariat has fewer features than my 22 XLT. The assist 2.0 and 360 cams are the way to go, and of course that 7.2kW gen is the only way to get the PB. You'll love the truck :)
Sponsored