First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
... Keep in mind, we're REALLY close to the Ai singularity. Power grid going down is a real threat in the next year via many factors. Solar is the best bet, but a mobile power plant has loads of uses. ...
Not to digress into debates about technology but large-scale power failures are more likely (in the short term) to result from idiots with high-powered rifles than from the singularity.

I do see the value of a mobile power plant, whatever the cause.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Not to digress into debates about technology but large-scale power failures are more likely (in the short term) to result from idiots with high-powered rifles than from the singularity.

I do see the value of a mobile power plant, whatever the cause.
The 2.4 can get you by. The truck will operate in 'hybrid' mode w/ loads below 1.6kW (starts and stops). The 7.2 is a better use of run time if you're able to utilize the larger power feed to charge batts and what not. With very low loads like overnight, it may start every 20-30minutes and run for 2 minutes or so. It's capable of making about 15kW at its locked 1k RPM generation mode. You can pull a continuous 7.5x kW w/ out issue, like charging an EV. There is however no 'surge' capacity to the generators (they're technically just inverters, changing 270v DC into 120v AC). They produce what they produce. (a post on it)
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...-to-the-test-max-sustained-draw-output.13166/

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I live in a coastal region. Wind can take the grid down for 10 minutes or 10 hours.

It's frequent too.
Living full time in an RV, as well as traveling by pulling 1 of 4 of them, the 7.2 KW Powerboost is..... Well, like an angel that suddenly, without warning, showed up as a gift.

I realize it's not for everyone, but I'm probably the bullseye. And the price of admission is amazing.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I live in a coastal region. Wind can take the grid down for 10 minutes or 10 hours.

It's frequent too.
Living full time in an RV, as well as traveling by pulling 1 of 4 of them, the 7.2 KW Powerboost is..... Well, like an angel that suddenly, without warning, showed up as a gift.

I realize it's not for everyone, but I'm probably the bullseye. And the price of admission is amazing.
Owning a powerboost also comes with getting familiar with the 'dog bones'. Being able to power yours and a buddy's RV at the same time can come in handy. Just one solid 48hr outage and the upgrade was worth it IMO. Sure a dedicated 120lb loud generator can achieve similar results, but I'd rather use that missing mass to carry more fuel.

Of course those of us who follow the PB posts -- I've never seen someone say "I wish I got the 2.4 gen instead!" -- several have wished the reverse though. The 7.2 option after purchase runs $1500.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
... and a buddy's RV at the same time ...
Hadn't thought of that potential use. You can power several, without concurrent high demands.
Sure a dedicated 120lb loud generator can achieve similar results, ...
(emphasis added) Yeah, they can be annoying.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well the tow mirrors are OOS -- once I saw they were only $1433 on their website vs ebay, I snagged them. Another user bought the other set they had.

Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? 1679088681209

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired

It's frequent too.

I am also in that bullseye. As some may know, the 7.2 kw generator was the reason I got my PB. We don't lose power that much, however I tow a TT a lot, boondocking much of the time. I had to carry 2 Hondas and 16 gallons of gas. Some times we had to run the AC.

Now I don't have to. At 75 yo, that's a good thing.

The better gas mileage is just a plus.

The extra power is neither here nor there.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Today's 302A is very much yesterday's Lariat with cloth. It's a very well equipped truck. Even LED headlights. Finally!

Of course MSRP of a 302A is very much yesteryear Lariat too. Lol

I think a carefully appointed 302A Powerboost with Katzkinz leather could achieve a great Payload Capacity and still be a luxury yacht.
I like the cloth seats I have. Never had leather seats, so I don't miss what I have had.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
What's the hitch weight limit for the non-Max tow package?

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Owning a powerboost also comes with getting familiar with the 'dog bones'. Being able to power yours and a buddy's RV at the same time can come in handy. Just one solid 48hr outage and the upgrade was worth it IMO. Sure a dedicated 120lb loud generator can achieve similar results, but I'd rather use that missing mass to carry more fuel.

Of course those of us who follow the PB posts -- I've never seen someone say "I wish I got the 2.4 gen instead!" -- several have wished the reverse though. The 7.2 option after purchase runs $1500.
Yup. That was the only mistake I made when ordering my truck. I went with the included 2.4 and didn’t bother with the upgrade as it was another 1000 and the truck was approaching 90 grand so I didn’t upgrade. The 2.4 certainly is useful but in the long run the 7.2 would have been the better choice .

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What's the hitch weight limit for the non-Max tow package?
Per ford's literature, the PB's towing limit w/out brake controller is 7klb
Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? 1679111317170

W/ WDH... (the larger # below the highlighted is w/ max tow (which reduces payload as its more weight), however w/ 1100lbs tongue weight + WDH mass, often payload limit is reached)
Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? 1679111133776

The shorter wheelbase has higher goose neck / 5th wheel capacity in 4x4 ...
Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? 1679111648051

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am also in that bullseye. As some may know, the 7.2 kw generator was the reason I got my PB. We don't lose power that much, however I tow a TT a lot, boondocking much of the time. I had to carry 2 Hondas and 16 gallons of gas. Some times we had to run the AC.

The better gas mileage is just a plus.
The extra power is neither here nor there.
The extra power is :) :) :)

While I didn't get the truck specifically because of the generator function, it solidly sealed the deal. I actually bought the truck before even driving any 14th gen. The 2nd one I bought was sight unseen. Made the dealer drive 2 hours to deliver it too. I first bought a 157 w/ most of the tech missing because it was slim pickings a year ago. Once I found a way to actually locate stock since ford's site was saying nothing was available, I ate $2k trading out the 157 for my current loaded 145" -- I Didn't want black, but it had the minimum options -- preferred blue (kind of a wash as I bought a blue mach-e soon after).

The cloth seats are pretty decent material. I didn't miss leather but after stumbling across a new set of lariat skins for only $200, It was an easy buy. Swapping out the seat covering is actually pretty easy. MUCH easier than it used to be having to use hog rings and such. ZIP & SLIP! I had to modify the rears though as the XLT doesn't have an arm rest so cut out the recess and used my professional (lol) sewing skills to put the arm rest's leather into the seatback.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Per ford's literature, the PB's towing limit ...
I was referring to the weight limit of the heavier receiver/bumper on the MaxTow vs. the somewhat lighter receiver/bumper on the non-MaxTow "tow package". I understand that the real limit for the trailer is the payload but don't know if the lighter receiver allows 1,000+# hitch weight.

If that doesn't prevent towing my trailer then I agree that MaxTow might be unnecessary on a PB, assuming ITBC and other essential features are on the truck. That may save a few #.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles