Sponsored

Maximize payload of PB?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Unsurprisingly, this was sold the hour before I found it.
Get the PB and don't worry about strictly adhering to a label. The PB is under-rated and its frame is stronger than the HDPP. It's stronger than everything but the raptor's. It's also a heavier truck with the mass placed exactly where you'd want it for increased stability. It'd be one thing if it was a 96% of axle weight to GVWR, but it's not. It's the most under-rated F150 ford sells.
Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
If the truck has Max Tow, then you are pretty much correct.

Of course, it's not 100% guaranteed the head of the axle bolt won't shear off again.

Our 21 Lariat PB doesn't have Max Tow - thus I've not been following this issue super close. So, it might make sense for you to search and read through these forums for "axle bolt" to make sure, but I haven't read of a repeat occurrence, or of owners stranded by this issue.

Others may know better.

If the truck doesn't have Max Tow I am of no help. 😄
Hi Eric.
Staying in the general subject of payload, I was researching the subject. Reading tons of posts, making field trips to collect pics of stickers, pouring through what info there is in the ESource book and then I found your post about your truck.

Gave me a big sense of relief. I wanted the dynamic lights but for 2023, there is no way to get them from the factory without taking the 502a and no way to get that, without 20" wheels, which suck payload to the tune of 40lbs. plus the increased weight of the tires.

This is the build I've come up with and hope to be in the same payload neighborhood as you.

https://shop.ford.com/configure/f15....PYZ...89S.SS5.CCAB.AWD.99D.50N.477.779.U34.]

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I tried to buy an XLT HDPP last year but failed because Ford cut too many options. I could no longer justify buying a new vehicle, compared to the 2016 500A EB MaxTow I already have.

I'm now considering a PB but the only reason I own a truck at all is to tow my ~7K# travel trailer with ~1K# tongue weight. I don't want a SuperDuty, so I have to maximize the payload on whatever F150 I buy. (Let's not derail this with a 1/2 ton/SuperDuty debate.)

I'm researching whether a PB can be outfitted to meet my needs. My requirements are:

1. tow mirrors, with a strong preference for electric folding, i.e., Lariat.
2. tailgate step (a hard requirement)
3. bucket seats w/ console
4. Co-pilot 2.0 Assist preferred but not required
5. 4WD desirable but not a hard requirement and, in a PB, may be too costly in terms of weight.

Can someone tell me what the payload would be on a base (501A?) Lariat with the 1st 3 options? How much would the latter 2 detract from the payload capacity?

Edit: would there be any advantage to an XLT high with the same requirements? It would have to be a big advantage because you can't get electric-folding tow mirrors in an XLT. I'd have to buy manual-fold mirrors, then upgrade them myself, a costly and laborious task.

Edit 2: Nav is a strong preference, because it now supports trailer routing.
As far as power fold/tow mirrors being added to an XLT is not as labor intensive as you might think. So if you can find an XLT high (302a) I say high especially because then you get the LED reflector headlights which are way nice than the Halogens. I’ve turned my XLT PB into a lariat for the most part. I got a really good deal on the truck and then just added the options I wanted. Good luck hunting. 👍

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Hi Eric.
Staying in the general subject of payload, I was researching the subject. Reading tons of posts, making field trips to collect pics of stickers, pouring through what info there is in the ESource book and then I found your post about your truck.

Gave me a big sense of relief. I wanted the dynamic lights but for 2023, there is no way to get them from the factory without taking the 502a and no way to get that, without 20" wheels, which suck payload to the tune of 40lbs. plus the increased weight of the tires.

This is the build I've come up with and hope to be in the same payload neighborhood as you.

https://shop.ford.com/configure/f150/config/accessories/Config[|Ford|F-150 F-150|2023|1|1.|501A.W1E..PYZ...89S.SS5.CCAB.AWD.99D.50N.477.779.U34.]
Yes, your build is very close to our 2021 Lariat 501A PB. Which - for others who read this - has a payload of 1658 Lbs. It seems your build should be close to our payload.

I can't see why the 2023 MY payloads would be considerably less than 2021 MY.

The only real difference I could see is you order shows the Multi-Contour Seats that our truck doesn't have.

Other feedback on your order:

Heated steering wheel! That was part of Lariat high (502A) in 2021 and is the only option I wish our truck had.

I don't see the Interior Work Surface in your build. We really like it, and mostly use it for eating when on the road.

Tow mirrors are NOT included in the Trailer Tow package. Consider if you want them, and if so, add them to your build. They are $250 if included when ordered, and something like $1200 if purchased later.

Does your build include Adaptive Cruse Control? I looked through your order and could not tell - and could not see where you could add it. We *really* like this. If you want it, I would make sure it is shown on your order print-out (and if not, have the dealer put it in writing that it is included).

You will love your truck!

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
Yes, your build is very close to our 2021 Lariat 501A PB. Which - for others who read this - has a payload of 1658 Lbs. It seems your build should be close to our payload.

The only real difference I could see is you order shows the Multi-Contour Seats that our truck doesn't have.

Heated steering wheel! That was part of Lariat high (502A) in 2021 and is the only option I wish our truck had.

I don't see the Interior Work Surface in your build. We really like it, and mostly use it for eating when on the road.

Tow mirrors are NOT included in the Trailer Tow package. Consider if you want them, and if so, add them to your build. They are $250 if included when ordered, and something like $1200 if purchased later.

Does your build include Adaptive Cruse Control? I looked through your order and could not tell - and could not see where you could add it. We *really* like this. If you want it, I would make sure it is shown on your order print-out (and if not, have the dealer put it in writing that it is included).

Adaptive Cruise Control is part of Co-Pilot 2.0 Assist, which the build tool doesn't show very well. You can confirm it's already part of the order by selecting Co-Pilot 2.0 (not Assist). You'll get a confirmation screen that it requires removing Assist, if it already has it. Just cancel at that point.

Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

1)Heated steering wheel is a Ford delete right now. Can't do anything about it.

2) I was in trucks that had and didn't have the work surface. Without, is a more comfy arm rest and is a little lighter. I think we'll manage without.

3) I'm sure I don't want the tow mirrors. They're heavier and overly big, with an MPG hit, as per a truck driving friend of mine who has them on a 2021. I'll deal with that via BLISS and rear and running light cameras on the trailer.

4) On the 2023 501a, I found a quirk in the build site re Copilot. Check the Nav first, it adds tow package, copilot and 360 cameras. If you do them ala carte, it may work too but is more confusing. I will dbl. check once the build bid is returned. Sent the build to Granger a few hrs. ago.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
... 3) I'm sure I don't want the tow mirrors. They're heavier and overly big, with an MPG hit, as per a truck driving friend of mine who has them on a 2021. I'll deal with that via BLISS and rear and running light cameras on the trailer. ...
Your opinion on the tow mirrors is swaying mine. I suspect you're right that BLIS and cameras can be an adequate (or better) substitute. That makes the XLT more acceptable, as you can't get electric-folding mirrors except on Lariat or higher.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I dissed the Elephant Ears on an F150 for years.

Then I drove one with them for a road trip.

I suddenly realized how much I missed them from my SuperDuty days. Had a helping of personal crow eating and special ordered my KingRanch Powerboost with the huge ears.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your opinion on the tow mirrors is swaying mine. I suspect you're right that BLIS and cameras can be an adequate (or better) substitute. That makes the XLT more acceptable, as you can't get electric-folding mirrors except on Lariat or higher.
Depends on the trailer. Bliss is for your blind spot, it's not a replacement for a mirror. It sees less than a mirror in relation to a trailer, but still sees vehicles hidden in that area of the truck. The mirrors are quite easy to add. You need to run a couple wires within the door itself.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
... The mirrors are quite easy to add. You need to run a couple wires within the door itself.
I aware of that point. I did a lot of research (here and elsewhere) to confirm that ordering an XLT with BLIS/camera tow mirrors makes it practical, though expensive, to upgrade them to electric-folding. Alas, Ford canceled critical options on the XLT I ordered, hence my being in the market now.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I aware of that point. I did a lot of research (here and elsewhere) to confirm that ordering an XLT with BLIS/camera tow mirrors makes it practical, though expensive, to upgrade them to electric-folding. Alas, Ford canceled critical options on the XLT I ordered, hence my being in the market now.
You can get the mirrors themselves with extend switch for $1400 - it's $35 for the folding window control unit. I believe even on the upper trims they're a $750 option. Granted you're skipping out on a $7k premium in the first place. Despite many people going for the projectors for their difference, I find the reflector LED to be superior. They light up everything and then some producing much more light.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Per Ford's build site, on a 2023 Lariat, tow mirrors are $250.

BLISS covers trailers to 33'. Mine is just under 30.

I'm going to get the Furrion S7 monitor with the rear camera for the trailer anyway. To add the side cameras is also, $250.

Less wind resistance, less hassle in parking lots, easier when daily driving.

Its not a hard decision. For me.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trailers blind BLISS -- here's an idea...
Ford F-150 Maximize payload of PB? 1680206028655