Sponsored

Max Payload Sticker F150 vs F250 gas V8

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I knew that the HDPP option had better payload than the diesel F-250, it’s impressive that it’s higher than the gas too. Is that F-250 also a 4x4?

I have a regular cab XLT on order with the 5.0, 4x4 and HDPP, so it’s exciting to see another truck similarly optioned!

Reactions: J-C

dicedealer7

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 STX FX4
My 19 f250 that I traded in for my 21 f150 was a crew cab gas v8 with 3330 on the sticker. VS 2020 on my new truck.

OP
OP
Blue Beast

Blue Beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
I knew that the HDPP option had better payload than the diesel F-250, it’s impressive that it’s higher than the gas too. Is that F-250 also a 4x4?

I have a regular cab XLT on order with the 5.0, 4x4 and HDPP, so it’s exciting to see another truck similarly optioned!
The F250 was a 4x4, super crew, XLT with 6.5' bed. I test drove it, super big, rode horrible, horrible gas mileage. I was also worried about the death wobble on the 250 front solid axle. Love my 150, tows like a champ, great gas mileage, rides great. Wish they would have the option of 302 high on HDPP, would have loved to have that 12" screen, push button start and other goodies. Not sure why they can't put it on the truck. Good luck

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They’ve really hobbled the lower trim options. I needed a decent length bed in a reasonable wheelbase in order to have a chance of finding parallel parking in big cities, so ordered the regular cab.

I’m not too excited about big screens or bells and whistles on newer cars because after a few years, technology improves and it is hard to upgrade the older systems now with all the integration. The 12v VHS deck and 4” screen afterthought of a navigation system that looks like a 1980’s MS-DOS application in my 2001 Navigator is testament to that. I actually prefer the physical Ignition key with the security issues the keyless rfid fobs have been having.

what I did want however was the 4A transfer case, LED projector headlights and sliding rear window glass. None of those options are available in the regular cab or the lower trim levels.

I really wanted to like the F250 that I took on a test ride. I managed to find a salesman willing to do more than drive around the block and we drove around an entire afternoon in over half a dozen different trucks. I actually tried the F250 twice and told the salesman that something was radically wrong with the front suspension. The truck was 4x4 and wouldn’t stay straight on the highway, it wasn’t “death wobble” but just plain squirrelly. The second time I drove it, I got out quickly to feel the tires and the fronts were pretty hot and in fact, I could smell them both times, the first time I thought it was just the fan belt breaking in because the truck had five miles on it. I told the salesman that the wheels were probably toed out, leading to the instability. He said that the dealer won’t check alignment until the cars have at least 500 miles. The Platinum Super Duty diesel we drove had no problems. So maybe the first F-250 was a Covid truck aligned by one of the bean counters who thought it was a great idea to only allow the customer to buy a truck with decent headlights if they get specific trim levels.

I think that when deciding on a RWD truck, the Super Duty is an easier decision because the 6.2 is a good engine that I wish was still available in the F-150.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I finally picked up my truck and the above mentioned F-250 indeed did have alignment issues and had to be taken into the dealers shop for work.

How is the unladen ride of your HDPP F150? The crew cab has an extra 400lbs, so maybe that makes a difference but my truck is mighty stiff.

On the road, it handles more like a sports car than any of my sports cars ever had. Almost zero lean in turns and no squat at all when accelerating. On a smooth road it handles great, on a rough road, it’s rough but not terrible, though over roads that have lots of sealer on them, it’s pretty bad. Driving over a speed bump hardly phases my truck but it’s those tiny crack sealant strips that feel like I’m driving over 2x4s. It might be the tires and the 48psi the door sticker calls for.

Same for the 1/4 mile I drove on a dirt road to make sure that the 4x4 works. The washboard section was absolutely brutal, I couldn’t believe how bad it was.

OP
OP
Blue Beast

Blue Beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
I finally picked up my truck and the above mentioned F-250 indeed did have alignment issues and had to be taken into the dealers shop for work.

How is the unladen ride of your HDPP F150? The crew cab has an extra 400lbs, so maybe that makes a difference but my truck is mighty stiff.

On the road, it handles more like a sports car than any of my sports cars ever had. Almost zero lean in turns and no squat at all when accelerating. On a smooth road it handles great, on a rough road, it’s rough but not terrible, though over roads that have lots of sealer on them, it’s pretty bad. Driving over a speed bump hardly phases my truck but it’s those tiny crack sealant strips that feel like I’m driving over 2x4s. It might be the tires and the 48psi the door sticker calls for.

Same for the 1/4 mile I drove on a dirt road to make sure that the 4x4 works. The washboard section was absolutely brutal, I couldn’t believe how bad it was.
Mine crew cab rides great, a little stiff, not too bad.
Did you get the FX4?

I glad i didn't get the FX4, I think it would have made it stiffer rougher riding. The extra weight over the rear wheels must make the difference.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don’t think the FX4 with HDPP would have any different ride. Looking at parts.ford, I don’t see any other springs for the 7,850GVWR package.

I wanted the extra capacity for when I add a rack and power liftgate, ,maybe even a flatbed eventually. Looking at the other trucks, I knew that after all that, 1,400lbs and change wouldn’t cut it. I wasn’t expecting twice that, though I am not complaining.

I will be doing some towing and hauling this Spring, so I am sure that it will be great loaded up. After that though, I will be driving empty 90% of the time, so I might either get a custom spring pack, or the next lighter OEM springs from a recycling yard. Then add air bags for the few times I will be loaded heavy.

Ford F-150 Max Payload Sticker F150 vs F250 gas V8 C0A7B362-0C1A-4266-94BC-6ABEF50C190C

J-C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT 5.0 SCREW 157"wb FX4
Hey, Blue Beast and Pedaldude. I think I could learn a _lot_ from you two! I just posted a call for help (as a new thread, "Config. advice for new truck? Blending payload, off-road & hwy..."). Given what I'm looking to do, your experience -- esp. your build, Blue Beast -- is very interesting! How's your mpg at this point? Other observations?
Sponsored