First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Pretty much every picture I have seen of the new F150 shows an old fashioned mast antenna on the passenger side hood up near the windshield. Anybody know why there is a mast vs. the more typical shark fin or in-glass antenna? I don't really have a problem with it other than a potential problem going through a car wash. Just curious as to why a mast is now required.
Sponsored

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Pretty much every picture I have seen of the new F150 shows an old fashioned mast antenna on the passenger side hood up near the windshield. Anybody know why there is a mast vs. the more typical shark fin or in-glass antenna? I don't really have a problem with it other than a potential problem going through a car wash. Just curious as to why a mast is now required.
Nobody here will have this answer. Sorry. Lol

Can confirm all pre production trucks I’ve seen have traditional mast on passenger side of hood.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I am not an expert, nor do I have the definitive answer, but I believe it has to do with signal distance and customer demographics. The longer 'whip' antenna allows the truck to pick up an AM/FM radio signal at a distance much greater than that of any other antenna configuration. While that makes no difference to someone in a major metropolitan city, it makes a big difference to someone using the truck out in rural America. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakota's, and so on, where customer are buying these trucks for work or pleasure, but live/work in less populated areas need that additional signal strength. If you were to head out of a major city in an F-150 and a friend in a competitors truck, with no stick antenna, both listening to the same station, you would be listening to the station far longer than your friend., theoretically. Ford's demographic data must show that keeping the antenna is important to their customer base.

rikker

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Sport PB, 20 Escape Titanium Hybrid
Occupation
Distributor/Dirt Mover
There is an actual “engineered” reason for the mast.

Clearance

The mast/whip antenna is designed to be a warning for overhead clearance.
And I thought it was just to make that cool Boing noise every time I pull into my standard 7' garage height door.:)

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Cut 5 inches off of the antenna and no more boing noise. :)

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Cut 5 inches off of the antenna and no more boing noise. :)
If I didn't have to run through car washes 4-5 months a year, I would do that. In fact I did that to this one but pulling it off and on to use the car wash was a pain. Plus the wrench was taking the black paint.

mnsunset

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150/1965 Mustang
Occupation
Self Employed
I cut off a few inches on my last one. When I gave a tug on the end "ball" it came right off. After I cut off the length, I pushed the ball back on. Used a drop of super glue, gave the tip a spritz of black paint and its lasted 6 years. An no more "bongggggggg" everytime I went in and out the garage.