First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Consider this a rant or not. I've been digging into the Sync 4 Onboard mapping issues for the past few months. Phone calls, galore.
My Complaint: Ford mapping sucks. They claim they are updating Maps Annually, Quarterly and roads that they know you travel often. I call BS.

If they are going to make us subscribe to Navigation at a rate of $600 for 3 years, I expect the maps to be correct. As proof, my last 4 Ford vehicles, from Sync 3.3 to 3.4 and now to Sync 4, have all had the same not updated roads. So this is not just a current situation.

So called Ford several times and they cannot tell you the frequency of map updates and all they can tell you is your Sync version.
Their instructions is go to HereWeGo site, create a fixed road and submit it. I did. After months, it was finally corrected on their web site maps.

Called Ford again today and they had me -call-HereWeGo to get some kind of clarification as to when do they update Ford.
After the rep dug into it, they said they don't have a contract with Ford anymore for the newer vehicles and only covered earlier years back to '09.... I'm like WTF.
Basically he said we are suppose to call Ford and they are in control of it, not them.

So we have a situation of 'it's there job, no it's their job' finger pointing. It's really pissing me off because this road has been around at least 4 years and it shows me going off road with all my vehicles. But it pisses me even more so is they have no Nav support on their newer vehicles. I paid $75K for a full functional package. Not something still loaded with old tech.

IF Ford is planning on charging crazy money for Nav and Bluecruise, they better have their crap together. I have called everyone except Ford Corporate and I have to calm down before I do so. Fords Nav tech sucks. Always has been. But sticking 3rd party GPS units to the dash or using your phone should not be the only options if you want accuracy. All my Nav apps show the correct roads, yet, Ford is still in lala land.

If you have any positive or accurate info beyond what I wrote, please add to this.

FORD! You reading this? How about some accountability and answers!
Sponsored

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Overall I’m happy with the Nav/mapping but huge labeling problem in Canada. Hwy 16 is labeled as the Trans Canada which it is not. Hwy 1 is the Trans Canada and hwy 16 is actually the Yellow Head. The mapping is also in error showing hwy 5 as the Yellow Head. More of an annoyance and can tell they never had much QC.

Jack Miter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I gave up on it. I'm now using either Google, Apple Maps or Waze, and sometimes a dash sitting Garmin. My biggest gripe with Ford's nav is the graphical interface. I can't see crap on it. The roads are practically the same shade of gray/white as the background. There is very little contrast between the two. Color... what's that?!!! My Garmin shows blue lakes and ponds, green wooded areas etc. I glance at the Ford Nav and its like looking into a gray abyss. My wife's 2019 Grand Cherokee interface is light years ahead. You can even choose your vehicle & color as the icon instead of a triangle... and that is three year old tech (if not older). Ford really seems to be lacking in the software dept.

Last edited:

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I’ve considered any native nav app that came in a car utterly useless since the advent of Waze/Google Maps/Apple Maps etc. they’re all hopelessly outdated in more ways than one. I’d certainly never consider paying money for one. Just use CarPlay/Android Auto and your map app of choice.

The only exception to this would be if you’re somewhere remote without cell service and need the offline maps functionality. In those edge use cases it can come in handy to have something not reliant on cell service to get you going.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Yeah, same for me. My street address is shown several houses down as if the lots were re-numbered during construction or something.

There is an app (on iOS at least) called “Map Creator” which is supposed to be how users can submit corrections. I think I read about it in the manual. I have downloaded it, set up an account and have submitted my house correction.

Which reminds me- I should check it after my recent update to Power Up 1.7.1.

But I tend to use Apple Maps via CarPlay most of the time, but do use the Ford Navigation when towing my travel trailer since Ford does trailer friendly routing.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Yeah, same for me. My street address is shown several houses down as if the lots were re-numbered during construction or something.

There is an app (on iOS at least) called “Map Creator” which is supposed to be how users can submit corrections. I think I read about it in the manual. I have downloaded it, set up an account and have submitted my house correction.

Which reminds me- I should check it after my recent update to Power Up 1.7.1.

But I tend to use Apple Maps via CarPlay most of the time, but do use the Ford Navigation when towing my travel trailer since Ford does trailer friendly routing.
At least you were able to get 1.7.1. I check for updates almost daily and still not getting it. The software rollout process is the most clandestine thing about these trucks, my god.
Sponsored