Malfunctioning Running Boards

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
Anyone having issues with your running boards not deploying? I’ve been having issues with my boards for a couple of months and the dealership hasn’t been able to resolve the issue. First the passenger side board would not deploy and they replaced the motor for that side. Then the driver side board stopped deploying and they again replaced the motor for that side. Now the driver side works about half the time. The seems to think it might be a key fob issue but not sure. If someone has had this problem and got it resolved please let me know what the fix was.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Anyone having issues with your running boards not deploying? I’ve been having issues with my boards for a couple of months and the dealership hasn’t been able to resolve the issue. First the passenger side board would not deploy and they replaced the motor for that side. Then the driver side board stopped deploying and they again replaced the motor for that side. Now the driver side works about half the time. The seems to think it might be a key fob issue but not sure. If someone has had this problem and got it resolved please let me know what the fix was.
Hello, Ed! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this. Thanks!

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I would suggest a couple things. One they should do a self test on the DSM. The DSM controls the running boards. The self Test is the calibration method for the boards. Next there is an update for the DSM. I can check to see through your vin if they have applied it yet. I did mine and its really much better. I used to have my boards deploy after locking the doors. it was so annoying. Now when I lock they stow and stay stowed.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Yea, def spins like a dsm.

OP
OP

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
I would suggest a couple things. One they should do a self test on the DSM. The DSM controls the running boards. The self Test is the calibration method for the boards. Next there is an update for the DSM. I can check to see through your vin if they have applied it yet. I did mine and its really much better. I used to have my boards deploy after locking the doors. it was so annoying. Now when I lock they stow and stay stowed.
Jessie my vin is 1FTFW1ED6MFA85049
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Jessie my vin is 1FTFW1ED6MFA85049
Thanks for your help.
Ok, SO they did do the DSM update. They did do a self test BUT I do not believe they did it after the replacement of the new motor.

What leads me to the conclusion is as of today these are the DTCs you have. The DSM DTCS are your reason for the Running Boards not deploying. They have a hall effect sensor and it must be calibrated. if they replaced either motor and never ran the calibration and even if after the update they need to run the calibration. The self Test is the calibration.

You do have quite a few updates available. Some are coming through OTA now. The IPC DTC I wouldnt worry about that is due to the OTA that came through. It is the first half of the IPC update the second half will clear that code. Most all those codes related to the OTA minus the DSM.

So I would suggest they need to run the DSM self test. And make sure that there are No DTCs at the conclusion of the self test. I can see the results of the self test.

Ford F-150 Malfunctioning Running Boards 1656030871930

OP
OP

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
Ok, SO they did do the DSM update. They did do a self test BUT I do not believe they did it after the replacement of the new motor.

What leads me to the conclusion is as of today these are the DTCs you have. The DSM DTCS are your reason for the Running Boards not deploying. They have a hall effect sensor and it must be calibrated. if they replaced either motor and never ran the calibration and even if after the update they need to run the calibration. The self Test is the calibration.

You do have quite a few updates available. Some are coming through OTA now. The IPC DTC I wouldnt worry about that is due to the OTA that came through. It is the first half of the IPC update the second half will clear that code. Most all those codes related to the OTA minus the DSM.

So I would suggest they need to run the DSM self test. And make sure that there are No DTCs at the conclusion of the self test. I can see the results of the self test.

1656030871930.png
Thanks, I will share this with the service manager at the dealership.

OP
OP

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
I spoke with the service manager at my dealership today and have an appointment on Monday. I will update afterwards.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I spoke with the service manager at my dealership today and have an appointment on Monday. I will update afterwards.
Make sure you tell them if the self test doesn’t result in the running boards deploying and stowing a few times the self test was not successful

OP
OP

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
Will do, thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
Just left the dealership and no fix. They said that they ran the self test and the only thing that they think it might be is the driver seat module. The service manager said that he requested assistance from ford last week and they haven’t responded to him yet. On my way home I made an appointment with another dealership that’s about 30 miles away hopefully they might be able to resolve the issue. I will ask them to run the self test as well, maybe they will get different results.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
They ran a self test. Betting they Ran it with the door open. All doors have to be closed or youll get this result.

Ford F-150 Malfunctioning Running Boards 1656366800380

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
They ran a self test. Betting they Ran it with the door open. All doors have to be closed or youll get this result.

1656366800380.png
Jesse, is there not a list of procedures to follow or conditions to be meet when a tech preforms a test? It seems to me that a lot of failures are from not reading or improperly following a chart, or is it a case of " I don't need no damn directions"!

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Jesse, is there not a list of procedures to follow or conditions to be meet when a tech preforms a test? It seems to me that a lot of failures are from not reading or improperly following a chart, or is it a case of " I don't need no damn directions"!
Yes there is a pop up prior to the self test. Yes you’re right they just ignore them.

I know exactly the self test process because I went through it when I added prb to my truck. I know a lot about the PRB system now. I also know the workshop manual is wrong when it references 10 volts for the Hall effect circuit.. it’s a 5 volt circuit.

the result they got is definitely from the doors open.

OP
OP

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
An update to my issue with the running boards. The dealership that I went to that’s 30 miles away on last Wednesday said that they ran the self test and decided that the new motor that was recently installed was defective and they ordered another one? I asked if they saw any codes and they said just one that pertained to the motor. My home dealership called and said that Ford had contacted them and gave them some things to check. I took the truck in yesterday. The service manager said that they checked everything on the list and and even looked for loose wires/connectors and found nothing. I drove the truck out of town on Saturday and the driver side board didn’t deploy one single time.
Yesterday it miraculously started to deploy. It has done this before and work fine for a day or two and stop again.🤯
Sponsored