• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mach E battery went up 2/3 Kwh

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Its encouraging that Ford is at least willing to improve such a thing in a model year change over that isnt a major redesign year. It's certainly making me wonder if they could squeeze a little more each year into each successive F150 model year especially since it looks like im stuck with MY 23 with how things are progressing . Even though slight, any little bit is nice to have and also points to flexibility in the battery pack arrangement.

Mache E 2021 to 22 changes
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
I wish they would increase the power boost battery or turn it in to a PHEV. That would be best of both worlds and is really the truck I want rather then the lightning. Something with a 25-30 mile range in pure electric driving.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Its encouraging that Ford is at least willing to improve such a thing in a model year change over that isnt a major redesign year. It's certainly making me wonder if they could squeeze a little more each year into each successive F150 model year especially since it looks like im stuck with MY 23 with how things are progressing . Even though slight, any little bit is nice to have and also points to flexibility in the battery pack arrangement.

Mache E 2021 to 22 changes
There was no change in the battery pack arrangement.

The battery in the Mach-E extended range is 98kWh. Ford provided access to 88kWh, and sold it with that. They reserved capacity while watching to see how the vehicle was used, because they want to prolong battery life, and ensure they end up at 70% of sold capacity within the warranty period.

The increase to 91kWh, and a change in the fast charging curve (used to ramp down at 80%, now it ramps down at 90%) was/is done with a software upgrade. The charging curve change already happened to Job 1 2021s, and will be done to Job 2 2021s soon. There is debate over whether the battery capacity change has been done or not, since it's hard to measure, especially in the cold weather when battery capacity measurement is affected by the temperature.

Ford has made it clear that they can release more battery, and may choose whether you get that increased capacity or not based on your usage of the vehicle. For example, they recommend you charge to 90% regularly, only charging to 100% just before you have a trip that needs that range. They also recommend you only use DC fast chargers when necessary. Implied in their perspective is that if you charge to 100% all the time, and only use DC chargers, you'll be less likely to get upgraded capacity than someone that treats the battery more responsibly.

I fully expect the Lightning to be configured in a similar manner.

Here's an interview with Darren Palmer that covers that. Start at 18 minutes in if you don't want to watch it all.

"We're making sure that we're looking after your battery for you".

For those that don't like the fact that Ford can limit capability to you and not to someone else, don't buy an EV.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I had a BMW i3 with REX. Really a silly idea to try to make a BEV into a PHEV. There are Ford F150's that are hybrid already.
Sponsored