Sponsored

Low Speed "Snap, Crackle, & Pop" (Added Video... I'm worried)

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
Now that I park in a multilevel garage, I have noticed that my truck (2021 PowerBoost Lariat with only 16,156 miles) makes quite a bit of noise moving at low speed going through turns. This is my first truck, so that may be expected, but since it's a PowerBoost and there is no engine noise at that speed, the noise from the body is VERY noticeable. It sounds like the noise is coming from the front end, but since I am in a large enclosed parking garage... the sound bounces and could be coming from anywhere really.

I came across Ford TSB 21-2253 (https://www.tsbsearch.com/Ford/21-2253) and I've seen that this has helped folks with the "rear-end clunk" issue, but my truck doesn't seem to be "clunking" per se.

I guess I'm asking if anyone else has noticed excessive creaking, popping, rattling, etc when performing low-speed turns?

Sorry if I'm not describing this well.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Now that I park in a multilevel garage, I have noticed that my truck (2021 PowerBoost Lariat with only 16,156 miles) makes quite a bit of noise moving at low speed going through turns. This is my first truck, so that may be expected, but since it's a PowerBoost and there is no engine noise at that speed, the noise from the body is VERY noticeable. It sounds like the noise is coming from the front end, but since I am in a large enclosed parking garage... the sound bounces and could be coming from anywhere really.

I came across Ford TSB 21-2253 (https://www.tsbsearch.com/Ford/21-2253) and I've seen that this has helped folks with the "rear-end clunk" issue, but my truck doesn't seem to be "clunking" per se.

I guess I'm asking if anyone else has noticed excessive creaking, popping, rattling, etc when performing low-speed turns?

Sorry if I'm not describing this well.
Good morning! Could you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this noise concern? Thank you!

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Is the noise definitely coming from outside the truck, or could it be from within the cab? If so, do you have a moonroof?

jims1969bt

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat
Agree, I had a similar issue, drove me nuts. Pop up the moonroof, see if it goes away. There is a special grease to be used on the moonroof seals, seems about twice a year

OP
OP
JediNut

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old Time Geek
Is the noise definitely coming from outside the truck, or could it be from within the cab? If so, do you have a moonroof?
it’s definitely outside the cab. It sounds almost like the frame stressing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JediNut

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old Time Geek
Wow... *MAJOR* Disappointment with the local Ford dealership. I called to schedule a time to have them deal with the Windshield Wiper Arm recall (which has magically disappeared from Ford Pass as something my vehicle still needs) and to look at the truck to see if TSB 21-2253 applies. Well, they said they would need to take the truck for 7-10 DAYS just to look at it and diagnose the popping. On top of that, even though I purchased the top-of-the-line extended warranty (yes... I'm an idiot), they can't give me a loaner when they have the truck. (My dealer back in California ALWAYS gave me a loaner if they were going to keep the truck for more than 2 hours.)

To make matters worse... I am heading out on a 4,500-mile trek next month, so I am a bit nervous about all the popping. (Roundtrip Tennessee to California)

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
If it is doing it on electric only, you may be hearing the electric motor in the transmission. it is loud and sounds like gravel in the transmission.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
If it is doing it on electric only, you may be hearing the electric motor in the transmission. it is loud and sounds like gravel in the transmission.
Ummm.... Mine doesn't sound like gravel in electric only. You might need to head to the dealer, too.

OP
OP
JediNut

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old Time Geek
I can definitely hear the gentle whir of the electric motor. This 100% sounds like frame or suspension noise.

OP
OP
JediNut

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old Time Geek
My dealer cannot get it in until the 31st... I leave on June 3rd to drive from Nashville to Lake Tahoe (and back three weeks after that). The noises seem to be getting worse.

Here's a video (ignore the creepy old guy in the mirror)... I know it's a long shot, but has anyone else had their low-mileage PowerBoost make noises like this??!!!

I am really worried about driving that distance.

Sponsored

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
My dealer cannot get it in until the 31st... I leave on June 3rd to drive from Nashville to Lake Tahoe (and back three weeks after that). The noises seem to be getting worse.

Here's a video (ignore the creepy old guy in the mirror)... I know it's a long shot, but has anyone else had their low-mileage PowerBoost make noises like this??!!!

I am really worried about driving that distance.

Wow, that's pretty bad. Hope you can get it figured out and have better luck with the dealer.

OP
OP
JediNut

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old Time Geek
The dealer looked at it and said it was because the 2" level rotates the axel a bit, causing the noise. They said it should be fine, just a little noisy. They said that shops will often put extra spacers in to relieve some of the tension... unfortunately, I don't know enough to call BS.

I had the truck leveled by the Ford dealership in California when I bought it. (Well, they sent it out to do the work... but I paid them for it.)

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
I would be buying a plane ticket and not drive that truck cross country.
Sponsored