Sponsored

Low fuel level, parked downhill, truck won't start

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
OK, so after the fact, the shock and awe of the surprise and days later, I am aware of the issue: Very low on fuel, parked on a slope face down, truck won't start. Filled with about 4 gallons (the funnel sucks), was able to start and drive.

I understand what caused it, although IMO it is super idiotic and should not happen. I had 40 miles left according to the truck's computer. It is my understanding that the fuel tank is long (36 gallons) and the gauge float is probably in the back, so the remaining fuel moved forward making the truck "think" there is no fuel.

What bugs me is that there is no solution other than tow or fill it up from a portable tank. I tried to put it in Natural and roll it down to the bottom of the slope, but the truck would not budge, either because it was too heavy for those who pushed it, or there was a rock in front of one of the wheels (it was a dirt road) or it was locked somewhere, The biggest problem is that within about 30 seconds of the shifter being in N, it automatically moved itself back to Parking, eliminating any chance of pushing it.

I could not find anything regarding this problem in the manual and frankly not a whole lot online/YouTube either.

Any one has experience with this idiotic thing?

And before anyone jumps - no, I am usually not driving with so little fuel.

Thanks.
Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I know what's wrong with it....

shifter being in N, it automatically moved itself back to Parking, eliminating any chance of pushing it.
You have to select the neutral mode. After you shift to neutral a prompt will come up on screen asking you to press the 'M' button to STAY in neutral.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I know what's wrong with it....

You have to select the neutral mode. After you shift to neutral a prompt will come up on screen asking you to press the 'M' button to STAY in neutral.
This is when the truck is running but I can't turn it on, the engine won't start.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
"on" versus "engine running" shouldn't matter, but plug the seatbelt in to fool the truck into thinking that you haven't got out of the seat.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"on" versus "engine running" shouldn't matter, but plug the seatbelt in to fool the truck into thinking that you haven't got out of the seat.
It does matter. Engine started, run 5 seconds and then shut off. About 30 seconds after engine shut off, shifter moved back to Parking. I think this is by design.

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
OK, so after the fact, the shock and awe of the surprise and days later, I am aware of the issue: Very low on fuel, parked on a slope face down, truck won't start. Filled with about 4 gallons (the funnel sucks), was able to start and drive.

I understand what caused it, although IMO it is super idiotic and should not happen. I had 40 miles left according to the truck's computer. It is my understanding that the fuel tank is long (36 gallons) and the gauge float is probably in the back, so the remaining fuel moved forward making the truck "think" there is no fuel.

What bugs me is that there is no solution other than tow or fill it up from a portable tank. I tried to put it in Natural and roll it down to the bottom of the slope, but the truck would not budge, either because it was too heavy for those who pushed it, or there was a rock in front of one of the wheels (it was a dirt road) or it was locked somewhere, The biggest problem is that within about 30 seconds of the shifter being in N, it automatically moved itself back to Parking, eliminating any chance of pushing it.

I could not find anything regarding this problem in the manual and frankly not a whole lot online/YouTube either.

Any one has experience with this idiotic thing?

And before anyone jumps - no, I am usually not driving with so little fuel.

Thanks.
Next time try the manual park release. See p. 257-58 of the 2021 Owner’s Manual. There is an access panel underneath the steering column. Use a trim tool or something similar to pop it open and you’ll see a lever. Pull the lever and it takes it out of park. You do need to turn the ignition on but you don’t have to start the truck to use it. Especially useful if you need to tow the truck.

Last edited:

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Simple fix, dont let tank get near empty and if you do dont park on a hill.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I head about this issue with the 36 gallon tank by chance on the older boards. The fuel pickup is towards the back of the tank, so physically the fuel can pool towards the front when low and at a higher angle.

I'm surprised that there isn't any aftermarket secondary pickup or secondary reservoir to attach to the tank.

But that likely means the issue pops up, then you learn and it never happens again, so not much else to do. I mean, now that I know I'll never park nose down after a 1/4 tank if I can help it.

Reactions: sbi

Doughecka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 302a PowerBoost SuperCrew
Had this same issue with my PB on the first tank of fuel... had 20miles left in the tank (figured that was plenty), but I backed in and my driveway has a pretty steep slope. Fortunately I had 5gal I could throw into the tank, once I realized what the funnel was for.

Sorta wish it'd let me move the truck on electric only so I could get it back to level ground.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Sorta wish it'd let me move the truck on electric only so I could get it back to level ground.
What do you mean "wish it'd let me"? Did you get some kind of error when you tried to start it?

Also if it's severe enough a slope, can you not roll it down hill?

Also also, y'all need to stop running your tanks empty.

Sponsored

Doughecka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 302a PowerBoost SuperCrew
What do you mean "wish it'd let me"? Did you get some kind of error when you tried to start it?

Also if it's severe enough a slope, can you not roll it down hill?

Also also, y'all need to stop running your tanks empty.
Well, I didn't put a lot of effort into getting it in neutral, but when it failed to start, it wouldn't let me put it in drive. Probably a combo of being too cold (so engine needed to run anyway), and the various error codes that popped up when it wouldn't start prevented the electric drive from being an option.

If the engine was already warm, then in theory it wouldn't know the engine couldn't start until it tried starting it under hybrid power, thus I could have attempted to drive it under EV mode for a little bit.
¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Idiotic? What exactly should be different? Gravity?

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Idiotic? What exactly should be different? Gravity?

A more accurate measuring and functionality system. According to the truck, I had 40 more miles worth of fuel, yet I could not start the truck and nowhere in the manual it is mentioned "Do not park the truck face down on a downhill when low on fuel", so yes - super idiotic.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I had trouble with starting my truck parked uphill and I still had around a quarter tank.

It’s a poor design and a truck owner should be able to expect to use most of the fuel in their tanks. To think that 4 gallons of fuel being unusable is normal would be a preposterous notion. I had at least double that in my tank and the pump was still sucking air until I agitated the truck so that it could start. My next step would have been rolling back to level ground but that isn’t always an option.

Ford F-150 Low fuel level, parked downhill, truck won't start B79D6497-F59B-4164-A90E-31F20376C067

Reactions: sbi

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Well, I didn't put a lot of effort into getting it in neutral, but when it failed to start, it wouldn't let me put it in drive. Probably a combo of being too cold (so engine needed to run anyway), and the various error codes that popped up when it wouldn't start prevented the electric drive from being an option.
I heard of someone with an Escape or Fusion Hybrid that had the same problem. They ran the tank empty and it wouldn't let them drive on electric, even though the battery had charge.

It's probably because they don't want you out on a road where you would need full ICE power and not have it. Plus the ECU would attempt to start the engine, at speed, and be unable.
Sponsored