Sponsored

Loud Whine at Low Speeds & Idle

Snippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Anyone else experiencing loud whine when idling or going at low speeds? I know the 10R80 has been known to whine but this is my first time owning a truck with one.

It’s significantly more prominent in drive thrus, tunnels and garages as the sound reverberates.

Dealer says they’ve gotten numerous complaints about it, but no official word yet.

XLT, Screw, 3.5, FX4
Sponsored

satchamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX
my 5.0 has that whine... only really notice it at drive thru's when I'm near a wall or sign or something so the sound bounces off. Kind of annoying but I just assumed it was the nature of the beast.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I’ve got a 3.5 EcoBoost that does the same thing. I immediately noticed it while conducting my pre-delivery inspection at the dealer the day I picked it up. I was initially concerned, but noticed another couple 2021 F-150s on the lot also making the same noise (not sure which engines those had), so I assumed it was normal. My truck had does this consistently since I’ve had it, so I’m not too concerned about it. I’m pretty confident it is normal for the 2021 trucks.

Rkh51

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep jl Toyota rav4
I think its the pump in the 10 speed transmission I read somewhere

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
My new Lariat PB has it as well. Did not notice with windows up, but drove today with windows down for first time and noticed it. Only driven truck 22 miles since I picked it up Saturday. Just have a hard time accepting as normal. Hope others respond!

Sponsored

glenwbarnes

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Anyone else experiencing loud whine when idling or going at low speeds? I know the 10R80 has been known to whine but this is my first time owning a truck with one.

It’s significantly more prominent in drive thrus, tunnels and garages as the sound reverberates.

Dealer says they’ve gotten numerous complaints about it, but no official word yet.

XLT, Screw, 3.5, FX4
I have the same truck and the same noice i first noticed it on the test drive when i stoped in a parking lot and go out to take a walk around the truck. I cant here it when inside the truck with the doors and windows closed or when driving. But its always there then outside of the truck and it varys with rpm when you rev it a bit in park or neutral. Definitely should not be a “normal” noise. Iv mentioned it to the dealer twice trying to get clarity on the issue and all iv gotten is Ford’s aware of it and working on a solution but is not causing damage. Love the truck non the less but its definitely disappointing buying a brand new truck with an issue.

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
Yeah. My 2021 F150 sounds like my old 2018 F150 with the 10R80. It's the offset gear driven pump in the transmission which makes the noise. It's normal. Even my 2017 Camaro ZL1 made the same noise, though GM made that transmission shift amazing, compared to Ford's clunky shift logic.
Sponsored