Sponsored

Loud pop from driver side wheel well when returning wheel from full lock at low speeds

veloverland

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2.7L XL Supercab
Occupation
Oil
I have a loud pop coming from the drivers side wheel well when returning the steering wheel from full lock at low speeds.
  • 13k miles on '21 F150 XL 4WD
  • Issue started a few weeks after installing '15-20' Fox 2.0 coilovers, also coincided with the arrival of cold weather. Suppose it's about 2.5" lift, but I could use a way to determine more exactly based on what the stock truck should measure.
  • Boot is torn on cv axle driver side, boot ridges are definitely rubbing up against one another.
  • Angle on the cv axle joints is somewhat steep but not "extreme" according to folks who installed the lift. will post picture later, estimate it's about 160 degrees if 180 is flat.
  • The popping sound is singular, loud, and shakes the vehicle; not the continuous popping one typically hears when accelerating or turning with worn bearings in a cv axle.
Dealer service mgr says "the axle is damaged", but won't specify what part of the axle (beyond the boot) when I press them for specifics. It's clearly not broken, because it's driving fine still. Dealer is also also vague about what is explaining the noise—not clear whether they're saying it's the "damaged axle" or the fact that they claim the axle is touching the bottom of the shock. I will verify whether the latter is true by actually inspecting this as I have someone else turn the wheel, but I suspect that they are not touching and that this does not actually explain the noise.

They could be right, but any ideas on other things that could be causing the noise? A tie rod? Upper or lower ball joints? I do have vibration at speeds over 70mph and definitely some steer drift to the right, even after multiple alignments.

Bonus: what's an "acceptable" angle range for the cv joints, and what available 14th gen suspension modifications can bring things closer to that range? (I could, obviously also decrease the tension on the shocks and achieve a bit that way too).

Sorry for a long post, thanks for the help though!
Sponsored

OP
OP
veloverland

veloverland

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2.7L XL Supercab
Occupation
Oil
Thanks but it's not like the clicking noise that usually accompanies bad cv joints, it's a dull and broad pop that you can feel in the vehicle. It happens when I turn the wheel from drivers side crank back to middle. Passenger back to middle no pop.

Francis Bellows

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 xlt
Ever get this figured out? Seem the same from lower A arm bolts being loose.

OP
OP
veloverland

veloverland

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2.7L XL Supercab
Occupation
Oil
@Swags was right; it was a failed CV joint. When turning the wheel from full lock the shaft would pop about an inch from the edge to the center of the joint. This jump is what made the sound. Replaced CV axles and the sound went away; case closed.

Sponsored

bgip5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
@Swags was right; it was a failed CV joint. When turning the wheel from full lock the shaft would pop about an inch from the edge to the center of the joint. This jump is what made the sound. Replaced CV axles and the sound went away; case closed.
Good. But was it from the level kit or possibly bad before the level?

OP
OP
veloverland

veloverland

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2.7L XL Supercab
Occupation
Oil
Good. But was it from the level kit or possibly bad before the level?
unknown. could have been from using 4WD on higher-traction surfaces when I didn't need to. expensive lesson learned perhaps? I now only use 4WD on snow, mud, and sand. Never on dirt or gravel roads unless it's steep and technical.
Sponsored