Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have the same noise on my March 22 build. :mad:
Hi there. This noise concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Same noise with my 1/30/22 limited build. I am still waiting on parts but according to my dealer Ford has redesigned the part and it should be in soon.
I'd be interested to see what the change to the part number is. This is the original. I also took a video of it. You can't hear the pop that well as the phone isn't catching it, but each time the torsion bar snaps that's when it pops so loud you can hear it down the street.

The trouble child
Ford F-150 Loud noise when power tailgate closes F`50 tailgate issue 1

Video of it happening.

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
I'd be interested to see what the change to the part number is. This is the original. I also took a video of it. You can't hear the pop that well as the phone isn't catching it, but each time the torsion bar snaps that's when it pops so loud you can hear it down the street.

The trouble child
F`50 tailgate issue 1.jpg

Video of it happening.
Well had everything fixed on the truck today. It looks like Ford has not redesigned the part. The dealer performed the tsb posted above (its what is on the work order) and that seems to have fixed the issue.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Well had everything fixed on the truck today. It looks like Ford has not redesigned the part. The dealer performed the tsb posted above (its what is on the work order) and that seems to have fixed the issue.
Performed the TSB myself today. Took about 25 minutes to pull it all apart and reset the torsion bar block. No more loud crack/pop when closing and also now that it's properly seated the tailgate is super easy to lift. Before it would slip and would not do anything to assist with opening/closing the tailgate.

Boss1309

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Boss 302 Mustang,2010 Taurus, 2022 F150 Plati
My June built Platinum is making that horrible popping sound about an inch or 2 from closing but the sound appears to be coming from the top part of the tailgate.
The noise went away for a week or so but its back now, poor dog gets startled and runs away every time I close the tailgate.

Its actually kind of embarrassing as well, closed tailgate at my granddaughters baseball game and half the field looked over. Not exactly what you want on a truck.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My June built Platinum is making that horrible popping sound about an inch or 2 from closing but the sound appears to be coming from the top part of the tailgate.
The noise went away for a week or so but its back now, poor dog gets startled and runs away every time I close the tailgate.

Its actually kind of embarrassing as well, closed tailgate at my granddaughters baseball game and half the field looked over. Not exactly what you want on a truck.
Good afternoon! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer, I can look into your tailgate noise concern on my end.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

The crack sound is pretty loud isn't it?

At least it's an easy fix you can do in the driveway. All you need is a T-30 torx bit to remove the tailgate work surface and a 1/4" 8mm 6 point socket to remove the two bolts that secure the torsion bar block. Pull the work surface plate and take a look at the block to see if it's flush with the tailgate plate. If there is a gap of any type you will want to close the tailgate and tighten the two bolts until the block is flush with the tailgate plate. The torque on the bolts is like 106 lbs/ft, so you will need to crank the crap out of it with the small ratchet. Once the block is flush open/close the tailgate a couple of times and make sure the torsion bar isn't slipping in the block any more and the sound is gone. If so bolt everything back up and call it a day.

Or you can take it to the dealer and let them so this for you as there's a TSB on it.

Boss1309

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks Porpoise

I have been trying to remove my tailgate for an hour now. I removed the 3 connectors under the bumper and the retaining bolt on the right side pivot point and it will not budge. This is a power up tailgate so I cant see the block in the tailgate

It looks like someone has already been trying to tighten bolts on block because paint has been scraped off. I have never taken it to the dealer for this issue and I am the original owner.

Anyone out there know the secret to removing the power up tailgate.
I have put in manual mode installed plug connectors etc.

Thanks

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
So my noise just stopped after doing it for months. Should I still take it in for the TSB or did it 'fix itself'?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Thanks Porpoise

I have been trying to remove my tailgate for an hour now. I removed the 3 connectors under the bumper and the retaining bolt on the right side pivot point and it will not budge. This is a power up tailgate so I cant see the block in the tailgate

It looks like someone has already been trying to tighten bolts on block because paint has been scraped off. I have never taken it to the dealer for this issue and I am the original owner.

Anyone out there know the secret to removing the power up tailgate.
I have put in manual mode installed plug connectors etc.

Thanks
Hmm.. The paint on the two block bolts on mine was also worn off when I went to look at it with only 100 miles on the truck and no one had touched it prior to that. Seems like they tried to adjust it at the factory and messed it up.

Hopefully you managed to get it sorted out. If not, you might get away with closing the tailgate and then cranking on the two block bolts (especially the one closer to the outer tailgate skin as that's the one that seems to be the main issue) to see if it helps. The torque spec is something like 106 lbs.ft so you can really put the spurs to them.

So my noise just stopped after doing it for months. Should I still take it in for the TSB or did it 'fix itself'?
The dealer won't do anything about it if it's not making the noise and it won't fix itself. Depending on how many times the tailgate was opened/closed the notch in the torsion bar could have worn down to the point where it's rotating freely in the block, or is wedged in such a way that it is not slipping, for now. Either way this is not ideal, especially if you have the power assist tailgate. With the torsion bar block being mis-aligned it puts a ton of extra load on the motor and may shorten the life of it. If you have a manual lift gate pull off the work surface panel and inspect the block per the TSB. Once it is in the correct alignment and secures the torsion bar, the tailgate's lift weight is cut by more than half.

Sponsored

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
Hmm.. The paint on the two block bolts on mine was also worn off when I went to look at it with only 100 miles on the truck and no one had touched it prior to that. Seems like they tried to adjust it at the factory and messed it up.

Hopefully you managed to get it sorted out. If not, you might get away with closing the tailgate and then cranking on the two block bolts (especially the one closer to the outer tailgate skin as that's the one that seems to be the main issue) to see if it helps. The torque spec is something like 106 lbs.ft so you can really put the spurs to them.

The dealer won't do anything about it if it's not making the noise and it won't fix itself. Depending on how many times the tailgate was opened/closed the notch in the torsion bar could have worn down to the point where it's rotating freely in the block, or is wedged in such a way that it is not slipping, for now. Either way this is not ideal, especially if you have the power assist tailgate. With the torsion bar block being mis-aligned it puts a ton of extra load on the motor and may shorten the life of it. If you have a manual lift gate pull off the work surface panel and inspect the block per the TSB. Once it is in the correct alignment and secures the torsion bar, the tailgate's lift weight is cut by more than half.
Thanks. I do have the power assist tailgate.

Boss1309

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well took truck to the dealer today to repair this dreadful noise, I checked it before I left the house and yes still making the cracking /snapping sound. Had the service advisor come out to check it out and low and behold NO noise. I could not believe it, she chuckled a bit and said they will have a look at it anyways.

Called 4 hours later and said all done. Closes even quieter than when the noise went away.
Also I don't think they removed the tailgate but looks like the bolts that secure the motor to raise the tailgate were removed to access the block for inspection.

hope all done with this for now.

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
Just brought my late '21 to the dealer for this and they found that both bolts had seized in the block, and while removing them, one broke off in the block. For a 15 month old truck that's surprising. They're replacing the tailgate now and having it painted, which I can imagine is far from the cheapest option.

Is the block part of the tailgate therefore aluminum? I'm wondering if this a 2 different types of metals seizing together scenario.

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
The crack sound is pretty loud isn't it?

At least it's an easy fix you can do in the driveway. All you need is a T-30 torx bit to remove the tailgate work surface and a 1/4" 8mm 6 point socket to remove the two bolts that secure the torsion bar block. Pull the work surface plate and take a look at the block to see if it's flush with the tailgate plate. If there is a gap of any type you will want to close the tailgate and tighten the two bolts until the block is flush with the tailgate plate. The torque on the bolts is like 106 lbs/ft, so you will need to crank the crap out of it with the small ratchet. Once the block is flush open/close the tailgate a couple of times and make sure the torsion bar isn't slipping in the block any more and the sound is gone. If so bolt everything back up and call it a day.

Or you can take it to the dealer and let them so this for you as there's a TSB on it.
Thanks for the informative post! Correction on the torque - it's 106 lb-in, not lb-ft! Otherwise those bolts are getting snapped off in the block 😳
Sponsored