First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Anyone else having issues when shifting into reverse a hard bang noise? It like a slam into reverse.
Sponsored

BDUBSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I don’t have the Powerboost but the 3.5 Eco and I just noticed in the last couple of days that when shifting from drive to reverse, it’s almost like the sensors aren’t picking up where the shift lever is in the console. I will shift it from drive to the reverse position on the console, but the dash and the indicator on the console show it’s still in Neutral. Then when I barely move the shift lever forward, it’s like it wants to jump to park. Its as if there are more detents in the console than there should be. Its really annoying.

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I don’t have the Powerboost but the 3.5 Eco and I just noticed in the last couple of days that when shifting from drive to reverse, it’s almost like the sensors aren’t picking up where the shift lever is in the console. I will shift it from drive to the reverse position on the console, but the dash and the indicator on the console show it’s still in Neutral. Then when I barely move the shift lever forward, it’s like it wants to jump to park. Its as if there are more detents in the console than there should be. Its really annoying.
I had that and found if you fold the shifter it resets position and corrects that issue.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I’ve had the exact same issues with the shifter. It just feels cheap, like a toy. Have to say that’s one of the few things I’m actually a little disappointed with the quality of on my truck. I never had any question of what gear I was in on my 2015, the shifter felt 100x sturdier, this thing just feels mushy.

It’s always when going in and out of reverse, no problems just going from park to drive or into park, it’s when you go from park to reverse or drive to reverse, the “catches” that it’s supposed to fall into for neutral and reverse are easily missed and it doesn’t seem to want to fall into that gear until you push it up all the way against the stop, and sometimes you can accidentally end up in park when you wanted reverse.

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
I’ve had the exact same issues with the shifter. It just feels cheap, like a toy. Have to say that’s one of the few things I’m actually a little disappointed with the quality of on my truck. I never had any question of what gear I was in on my 2015, the shifter felt 100x sturdier, this thing just feels mushy.

It’s always when going in and out of reverse, no problems just going from park to drive or into park, it’s when you go from park to reverse or drive to reverse, the “catches” that it’s supposed to fall into for neutral and reverse are easily missed and it doesn’t seem to want to fall into that gear until you push it up all the way against the stop, and sometimes you can accidentally end up in park when you wanted reverse.
Did you try folding with power button it should reset its position.

Sponsored

BDUBSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat

Bingo, exactly my experience. It actually hit Park one time last week when I least expected it and I probably would have started toward the windshield had I not had my seatbelt on.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I actually did fold it down yesterday but I haven’t checked it since I did it to see if it recalibrated itself.
I tried folding mine down yesterday, made no difference.

Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Anyone else having issues when shifting into reverse a hard bang noise? It like a slam into reverse.
Did you ever figure out this shift-into-reverse clunk? I've got it on my new 2022 PB. Not every time I go into reverse but at least 50% of the time. It's very abrupt and jolting, and I'm concerned about the long-term damage to the drivetrain.

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Did you ever figure out this shift-into-reverse clunk? I've got it on my new 2022 PB. Not every time I go into reverse but at least 50% of the time. It's very abrupt and jolting, and I'm concerned about the long-term damage to the drivetrain.
No I didn't. It would happen once a day with me and none at dealership when in service.

WDWFordGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
I have noticed that if you shut while the truck is rolling, even the tiniest bit, it will slam the brakes on.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I have noticed that if you shut while the truck is rolling, even the tiniest bit, it will slam the brakes on.
Yeah, I've made a point of coming to a complete stop before going into reverse or drive. Even on flat ground, I get the banging on occasion. It's especially annoying during a multi-point turn.

auromed

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 500a Powerboost
Mine did the same (2022 Powerboost) right at 400 miles. I reset the adaptive transmission tables and it's been much better since. I had to clear some room in my garage so I was parking on a decent incline for the first week or so I had it, so not sure if it just learned a bad behavior. I was also getting pretty rough shifts along the whole range though.

I will say it still happens every once in a while if I don't fully stop, but it's back to being mostly well behaved.
Sponsored