randyde

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
Hey all,
unfortunately i have lost my 2020 Ford F150 car key.
I lost them both and right now i am stuck.
The dealer told me yestrday about 600 for a replacement, which sounds like a rip off for me.
Any ideas?
I had this push to start type of key
Thanks!
Sponsored

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Because replacement key fobs are about $300 at a dealer, I buy one on Ebay or Amazon for about $60, program it with the other two you get with the new truck then keep it in a really safe place like a home safe.

Sorry to say with both now missing for you it's either a dealer or locksmith to get replacements and they will have to be programmed which I'm not sure a locksmith can do.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
Sorry to say but looks like that might just be the average going rate. Take a look at this article I found from Edmunds. If you don't want to read the entire article I suggest reading the section titled Keyless Entry Remote as I'm guessing that is the type your truck uses, probably the 2021s as well.
My daughter just bought a 2012 Nissan with only one fob - the quote she got from Nissan for a spare was just under $400, so op's number for Ford doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
I had to replace a Mazda SUV keyless fob about 6 years ago and it costed $290. So for 2 of them, that seems like the going rate.

Adam

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150
Occupation
head of department
Hey all,
The dealer told me yestrday about 600 for a replacement, which sounds like a rip off for me.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Hi, Randyde.
I had the same situation before. Here is some useful information that’s helped me save a lot of time and money. Hope it will help you as well:
I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc.
Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.
It helped me save a lot of money (more than $150).

Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:
1.Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think they work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
2.Tow the car to the dealer.
3.Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
Here is the link to read more:
https://lost-car-keys-replacement.com/ford/f-150/

If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, don’t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:
1.Year, make and model of the car
2.Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
3.VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important
4.Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.

Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.
There are 3 main types of keys:
Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)
Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make
Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2015.
The average cost is somewhere between $200-$460. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.
Here is the link for some additional information:
https://lost-car-keys-replacement.com/blog/car-keys-replacement-cost/

good luck!

OP
OP

randyde

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
Sorry to say but looks like that might just be the average going rate. Take a look at this article I found from Edmunds. If you don't want to read the entire article I suggest reading the section titled Keyless Entry Remote as I'm guessing that is the type your truck uses, probably the 2021s as well.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/the-high-cost-of-losing-your-keys.html#:~:text=We checked the price of,about $20 to $30 less.
Thanks for the info, less relevant for my 2020 key fob though :)

OP
OP

randyde

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
Hi, Randyde.
I had the same situation before. Here is some useful information that’s helped me save a lot of time and money. Hope it will help you as well:
I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc.
Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.
It helped me save a lot of money (more than $150).

Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:
1.Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think they work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
2.Tow the car to the dealer.
3.Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
Here is the link to read more:
https://lost-car-keys-replacement.com/ford/f-150/

If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, don’t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:
1.Year, make and model of the car
2.Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
3.VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important
4.Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.

Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.
There are 3 main types of keys:
Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)
Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make
Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2015.
The average cost is somewhere between $200-$460. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.
Here is the link for some additional information:
https://lost-car-keys-replacement.com/blog/car-keys-replacement-cost/

good luck!
Awesome! thanks a lot! unfortunately, i didnt have enough time to get a key online as i need my truck for work, but i did call around and found out the there is, indeed a huge difference.

My experience, dont go with the dealer, because you also have to tow the car there, which means more time and money.
i ended up paying for 2 brand new keys $629 and the locksmith came to my work site.
Thanks again!

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Hey all,
Any ideas?
Thanks!
$600 for one, or a set of two?

Other push to start fobs from other vehicles I’ve have have been about $300.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150

AlastairRoot

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bmw
Because replacement key fobs are about $300 at a dealer, I buy one on Ebay or Amazon for about $60, program it with the other two you get with the new truck then keep it in a really safe place like a home safe.

Sorry to say with both now missing for you it's either a dealer or locksmith to get replacements and they will have to be programmed which I'm not sure a locksmith can do.
I will go with the locksmith instead of a locksmith as they will do a replacement at cheap.

Boone

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost SCrew
Occupation
Retired
One check valve I have in place is to go to PetSmart and get a dog tag engraved with your name and phone # and then attach it to your key fob. Do this for all my fobs. Most people in this world are still good and hopefully you will get a call if they find your lost fob. A 12-pack reward to the finder is much cheaper than the $600 replacement cost! Of course, if the keys fall out of your pocket on the boat the fish don't have cell phones...

Ford F-150 Lost my 2020 F150 IMG_0465

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
My wife accidentally flushed the key fob with the key for her Subaru down the toilet. Long story. If I remember correctly, the cost to get a duplicate made was around 250 bucks.
Costly, yes. Funny, yes. But embarrassing for my wife.
Sponsored