Sponsored

Looking for a place to get 12 volts when the vehicle is running. Any fuse panel schematics?

Truman

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 150 Powerbost King Ranch
Occupation
Retired state trooper
Looking to put a 2 way radio in my truck and am looking for a place to get 12 volts when the vehicle is running. Cant find a schematic of the fuse's anywhere anyone got any suggestions ?
Sponsored

Buschlatte

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I am looking to wire up my dashcam. Which fuse did you use for yours?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Truman

Truman

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired state trooper

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew, 2021 F150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Engineer

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I've been using these for years in Police cars, Fire trucks, etc...

You need a meter or a probe light to determine which leg is "hot" to make sure you're tapping power from the "hot" side (not the fused side) but they work very well.

And of course, you need to attach your own fuse directly to the pigtail before powering your device.

Ford F-150 Looking for a place to get 12 volts when the vehicle is running. Any fuse panel schematics? Micro 3 pigtail.JPG

Ford F-150 Looking for a place to get 12 volts when the vehicle is running. Any fuse panel schematics? Pigtail Fuse taps

Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I've been using these for years in Police cars, Fire trucks, etc...

You need a meter or a probe light to determine which leg is "hot" to make sure you're tapping power from the "hot" side (not the fused side) but they work very well.

And of course, you need to attach your own fuse directly to the pigtail before powering your device.

Micro 3 pigtail.JPG

Pigtail Fuse taps.jpg
And if you can't find a suitable ignition source (never use anything "data" related) you can always use a timer.
These sense the drop in voltage when you crank your engine, and then start a timer when you shut it off and cut power to your devices after whatever period of time you set it for.

You can walk away from your truck with your devices on, knowing that they'll shut off before they kill your battery.

Ford F-150 Looking for a place to get 12 volts when the vehicle is running. Any fuse panel schematics? Charge guard

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
What type 2 way radio are you installing? Anything with much transmit power is going to need more amps than those tiny gage wires can handle. Might wanna look & see what the current draw is when transmitting before you order anything.

I had a 110w Kenwood VHF in the backseat of my last truck & i think it was rated at 20+ amps!
I don’t wanna see you melt something or have a really nice installation & find out you blow a fuse every time you key the mic

OP
OP
Truman

Truman

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired state trooper
I personally would go after that 20 Amp snowplow/rear heated seats Fuze. BCM is a critical item
I went after the one that would lose power when the vehicle is turned off. That's why I chose that one

Buschlatte

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I installed the adapter that plugs into the rear view mirror for my dash camera and it works great

the garmin dash cam says that the unit can not charge with the usb…but it does.
Sponsored