Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Center of display scroll down to Settings
Configure Gauges
Select either Right or Left Gauge
Turbo Boost is one of the options

Snake bitten uses a plug in OBD monitor for continuous detailed info- too sophisticated for me.
Thank you!
Sponsored

OP
OP

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
Does Eco Mode lock out the turbos?
Getting on the interstate, I hit the gas to slip into a slot- the delay was very disturbing and dangerous! I will never use Eco again.

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
I have seen many comments regarding locking out gears on the 10 speed transmission.
I have a 2023 F-150 PowerBoost.
A few questions:
1. When do you lock out gears? Always, highway, towing?
2. Which gears? I have mostly seen 9 & 10
3. Why lock out gears? I have seen fuel economy, but I don't understand.
4. How do you lock out the gears? I can click the '-' button on the shifter and lock out gears, but after Park all 10 gears revert.
5. Lock out gears in all driving modes or selective?
I checked the manual and came up empty (probably wrong search terms). An internet search did not help much.
Thank you for the information
Yes, same as others have said mostly fuel keeping boost down. I've locked out 8th through 10th. But for me it's not only to reduce boost, it's also protecting the transmission. Regardless of it being a newer transmission I don't think it's good to tow heavy in an overdrive gear anymore than needs to be. 7th is one to one. Anything after that is an overdrive, to me I'm not only saving gas, I'm saving my transmission. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not, but if I'm saving gas and helping my transmission longevity it's a no-brainer. Others can do what they want with their investment. I've heard a few who tow really heavy, 12, 000 say they've locked out even 7th.

OP
OP

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
Yes, same as others have said mostly fuel keeping boost down. I've locked out 8th through 10th. But for me it's not only to reduce boost, it's also protecting the transmission. Regardless of it being a newer transmission I don't think it's good to tow heavy in an overdrive gear anymore than needs to be. 7th is one to one. Anything after that is an overdrive, to me I'm not only saving gas, I'm saving my transmission. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not, but if I'm saving gas and helping my transmission longevity it's a no-brainer. Others can do what they want with their investment. I've heard a few who tow really heavy, 12, 000 say they've locked out even 7th.
Very helpful!
Especially, 7th 1:1; makes me understand Snakebitten’s 3 overdrive gears (8,9 & 10) better

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL
Interesting thread. I noticed when driving home from Granger that my truck would downshift at any bit of incline. I've also noticed it running in 10th gear as low as 45 mph.

I might have to play with this feature.

Sponsored

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
I agree with this also, and makes me wonder if getting the EB3.5 and 3.31 gear instead of 3.55 just for the mpg was the right choice. On the highway, it cruises at such a low rpm that even a slight hill like an overpass over a cross road, it starts getting into boost.

I wish I had some repetitive trips that I could do an apples to apples comparison of Normal mode with 10 gears versus Normal with 8 versus using sport mode.

With all other things constant going up a long slight hill, assuming it took 10 psi boost at 1300 rpm to maintain the same speed as 2000 rpm with no boost, which would be more fuel efficient?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I agree with this also, and makes me wonder if getting the EB3.5 and 3.31 gear instead of 3.55 just for the mpg was the right choice. On the highway, it cruises at such a low rpm that even a slight hill like an overpass over a cross road, it starts getting into boost.

I wish I had some repetitive trips that I could do an apples to apples comparison of Normal mode with 10 gears versus Normal with 8 versus using sport mode.

With all other things constant going up a long slight hill, assuming it took 10 psi boost at 1300 rpm to maintain the same speed as 2000 rpm with no boost, which would be more fuel efficient?
My 2018 F150 Ecoboost (3.5) was 3.31
I never really regretted it because with 10 ratios it's not really at much of a disadvantage except perhaps right out of the dig from 0-5mph.

But yeah, it was WAY quicker at reaching for boost VS rpms. And even running empty without towing, I would be locking out 10, and sometimes 9th because it had such long legs, so to speak.

The Powerboost is 3:73 AND is less likely to grab for boost to meet the torque request, with that ~100ftlbs of e-torque on tap. So Ironically Ford put the thirstier rear differential in the Hybrid. But it's a match made in heaven, in my opinion.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
My 2018 F150 Ecoboost (3.5) was 3.31
I never really regretted it because with 10 ratios it's not really at much of a disadvantage except perhaps right out of the dig from 0-5mph.

But yeah, it was WAY quicker at reaching for boost VS rpms. And even running empty without towing, I would be locking out 10, and sometimes 9th because it had such long legs, so to speak.

The Powerboost is 3:73 AND is less likely to grab for boost to meet the torque request, with that ~100ftlbs of e-torque on tap. So Ironically Ford put the thirstier rear differential in the Hybrid. But it's a match made in heaven, in my opinion.
I was kinda skeptical about this. When I ordered my 2001 F150, I was driving 100 - 200 miles per day and fuel economy mattered but so did at least a certain amount of power. I ordered the 355s, with the 4.6L, thinking it was a good compromise.

When I started speccing my new truck and found the powerboost only came with the 373s, I had to be convinced.

Anyway, while some complain about the mileage, the vast majority get in the low to mid 20s for daily driving. Makes my 16, look pretty sad. Then learning of the 10 speed trans, I'm really not worried about it.

RocketFistMooga

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Sport Powerboost.
UGADAWG96 uses it the same way I do and for the same reasons.
There are a few annoying things that reset each time you park or turn the truck off. I have a WDH for my camper. You need to go into the settings each time you tow to turn off sway control. You remember you didn't do it pretty soon once you start driving with a camper behind you.
Please explain this? What is going on and why?

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Please explain this? What is going on and why?
If your asking about the sway control, the truck and sway control in the WDH end up fighting each other. I don't understand the physics, but I've experienced it. I always remember to cancel sway control as I pull out of my driveway. I often forget when I stop for fuel or food. It doesn't take long once back on the road to be reminded that you forgot to disable it. I have the E4 Equalizer btw

Sponsored

RocketFistMooga

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Sport Powerboost.
If your asking about the sway control, the truck and sway control in the WDH end up fighting each other. I don't understand the physics, but I've experienced it. I always remember to cancel sway control as I pull out of my driveway. I often forget when I stop for fuel or food. It doesn't take long once back on the road to be reminded that you forgot to disable it. I have the E4 Equalizer btw
Exactly what I was looking for thank you. What does it feel like when they are fighting each other? What tips you off?

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Exactly what I was looking for thank you. What does it feel like when they are fighting each other? What tips you off?
It sways and you can't control it the way you would with a typical trailer without sway bars. Im not sure if it gets to the point of being dangerous, but it is absolutely noticeable.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Damn you @Snakebitten - you're pushing me into projects I don't need to spend time on just to see things like boost! The heated raptor wheel install w/ working paddles makes it real easy to do --- It's such a long reach to the shifter!

Gear locking out its really good to do w/ any ecoboost engine as it's eco, or boost. Ford likes to run a real rich fuel curve, especially on lower octanes so there's an exponential increase in fuel use as boost comes on. You'd think they'd actually put a little thought into an actual eco mode instead of just remapping the throttle curve while doing the opposite of 'eco' with the shift strategy. This is one of the reasons you'll hear the 5.0 guys claiming better fuel performance as they never have boost, just lack of vacuum. On the other hand when at altitude they're short on power while the turbos don't even notice it :) --- well it is a little easier exhausting when not having to push sea level atmosphere out of the way.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You deserve any homework you give yourself because of anything I say. Lol
YOU have been the catalyst for my ridiculous late night Google-ING more times than I can remember.

Besides, it's not my doing that you have stripped/gutted the interior of your Powerboost. 😁

JoeSTi

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 3.5EB
Curious if getting an aftermarket tune would make the shift strategy different. I really want something between normal and sport. I just want to truck to choose to cruise at 1500-1600rpm and not 1200. It feels like it lugging at that rpm. sport mode revs pretty high for my liking and tends to hold around 2000rpm cruising.
Sponsored

Last edited: