Locking out gears

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
I have seen many comments regarding locking out gears on the 10 speed transmission.
I have a 2023 F-150 PowerBoost.
A few questions:
1. When do you lock out gears? Always, highway, towing?
2. Which gears? I have mostly seen 9 & 10
3. Why lock out gears? I have seen fuel economy, but I don't understand.
4. How do you lock out the gears? I can click the '-' button on the shifter and lock out gears, but after Park all 10 gears revert.
5. Lock out gears in all driving modes or selective?
I checked the manual and came up empty (probably wrong search terms). An internet search did not help much.
Thank you for the information
Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
When towing, put it tow/haul mode or leave in normal. Use +/- selector to make 9 and 10 disappear. Some also lock out 8. The reason is to reduce use of the turbos. The turbos use more fuel than the engine at a higher RPM without turbos. It is only for MPGs. Although some may say to use the turbos less. I'm sure others will chime in.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
UGADAWG96 uses it the same way I do and for the same reasons.
There are a few annoying things that reset each time you park or turn the truck off. I have a WDH for my camper. You need to go into the settings each time you tow to turn off sway control. You remember you didn't do it pretty soon once you start driving with a camper behind you.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I always lock 5....yes, 5, when entering my neighborhood. Speed limit is 25 and with a few tiny up and down grades the stupid tranny kicks so hard when the truck slows down a bit it feels like it is actually shredding to pieces. 1 through 4 prevents it for some reason.
I read others lock 9-10 on the highway to prevent excessive up/down shifting.

Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
1. Towing.
2. 9 & 10.
3. When on slightly rolling hills road to keep it from gear down every 2 seconds going up a small hill.
4. When in motion with buttons on stalk.
5. When in tow haul mode.

OP
OP

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When towing, put it tow/haul mode or leave in normal. Use +/- selector to make 9 and 10 disappear. Some also lock out 8. The reason is to reduce use of the turbos. The turbos use more fuel than the engine at a higher RPM without turbos. It is only for MPGs. Although some may say to use the turbos less. I'm sure others will chime in.
I have only recently changed display to monitor turbos, they have not fired up around town. I get 24mpg highway, I don’t know yet if the turbos are active.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I have only recently changed display to monitor turbos, they have not fired up around town. I get 24mpg highway, I don’t know yet if the turbos are active.
I’ve only ever seen them pressurize when I’m towing, or when I’m in Sport mode from a dead stop.

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
I’ve only ever seen them pressurize when I’m towing, or when I’m in Sport mode from a dead stop.
Try watching the guage doing 70 on a steep uphill grade (PA I-76 in the "mountains" for instance) or put some petal into it on your next freeway on ramp.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I lock out 9,10 every day on my commute. (46 mile round trip)

I do it to keep the truck from cruising at low RPM. (pretending what gear I would be in if it was a manual transmission and it was ME shifting)

In Normal mode the factory shift strategy will literally attempt to cruise at an RPM as low as 1200? Like riding a 10-speed bicycle at low speed but a tall gear.

There's a long stretch on my commute where the cruising speed is 55-60. I will unlock 9th if traffic is light. But not letting the truck have it's 3rd overdrive at that pace.

I monitor a lot of what is going on in the combustion chamber. If you have a digital Boost gauge and you change the range from 0-20psi to -5<>20 psi, you now have a vacuum gauge. :)

So when in cruise control, you can experiment with which gear is getting you the best fuel economy and least strain, so to speak. A vacuum gauge is an old school Normally Aspirated tool for things like that.

Notice below that at only 50mph, I have to lock out 10th. It's crazy. It's already cruising at only 1300 rpms, but it WILL try to use 10th in Normal mode.
And 8th gear IS already Overdrive.

Ford F-150 Locking out gears 20230518_073051

Yesterday's trip from South Houston back to rural home. Summer temps, of course

Ford F-150 Locking out gears 20230517_163145

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I lock out 9,10 every day on my commute. (46 mile round trip)

I do it to keep the truck from cruising at low RPM. (pretending what gear I would be in if it was a manual transmission and it was ME shifting)

In Normal mode the factory shift strategy will literally attempt to cruise at an RPM as low as 1200?
I am curious - other than having a constant up/down shifting, what's wrong with cruising in low RPM?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Have you ever driven a standard transmission vehicle? (not asked insulting)

Of course you wouldn't have the torque converter there to slip&slide when you shifted too early, but you would feel the objection of the drivetrain to your choice.

Admittedly Ford has done a fair job of tuning out much of the evidence that you are borderline lugging the motor, but it's a completely unnecessary load/strain on the drivetrain.

If they hadn't gimped the so called "Sport" mode shift strategy by disabling EV cruising, I would simply use that strategy and never have to intervene. It's far more representative of how someone would shift gears if they had a clutch!

The problem is that labeling it "Sport" is highly suggestive to the human brain, and it often influences how they drive and experience the shift strategy.

Try Sport Mode but ignore the suggestion. Drive "normal".
Sure, you have more throttle tip-in, so Ford can further market the label, but that simply means you can have a softer foot with that shift strategy.

In my opinion, Sport Mode is really the shift strategy that best represents what the 10r80 actually is. A 10-speed transmission with 3 overdrive ratios.
And it uses all 10 ratios with a great job of staying in the meat of the torque curve of the 3.5 Ecoboost. (on a Powerboost)

But because of Ford's ridiculous (my opinion) nixing EV in "Sport" mode, they dang well guaranteed that a Powerboost owner can't consider that shift strategy as normal use.

That decision was totally unnecessary. There's no legitimate reason to nix the Hybrid capabilities of the Powerboost just to market the silly name "Sport". It's just a transmission shift strategy.

OP
OP

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How do you display turbos?
Center of display scroll down to Settings
Configure Gauges
Select either Right or Left Gauge
Turbo Boost is one of the options

Snake bitten uses a plug in OBD monitor for continuous detailed info- too sophisticated for me.
Sponsored