Sponsored

Locking Fuel Door\Cap to Keep High $$$ Gas Thieves Out!!

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Powerboost trucks have a latch on the fuel door.
Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Which release button are you referring to? I can basically press on the fuel door and open it even when the car is locked, unlike other vehicles where this door is locked if the car is locked. I am referring of course to newer vehicles where there is no cap on the fuel tank, just the door (whatever this newer fueling system is called).
There's a release button on the lower left dashboard that electronically opens the fuel door on PowerBoosts. You cannot open the PowerBoost fuel door manually or from the outside when the vehicle is locked - EXCEPT using the emergency release cable, which is hidden in the rear wheel well. There is a seal around the fuel door that uses a vacuum to control volatile gasses, so there is a slight delay after pushing the dash button for the door to release. I prefer my 1958 VW beetle deluxe format, which has no fuel gauge, just a lever on the floor to switch to reserve for 30 added mile when the car sputters, and a filler under the front bonnet. Life was simpler before charcoal canisters, EPA regs, seat belts.

Last edited:

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
There's a release button on the lower left dashboard that electronically opens the fuel door on PowerBoosts. You cannot open the PowerBoost fuel door manually or from the outside when the vehicle is locked - EXCEPT using the emergency release cable, which is hidden in the rear wheel well. There is a seal around the fuel door that uses a vacuum to control volatile gasses, so there is a slight delay after pushing the dah button for the door to release. I prefer my 1958 VW beetle deluxe format, which has no fuel gauge, just a lever on the floor to switch to reserve for 30 added mile when the car sputters, and a filler under the front bonnet. Life was simpler before charcoal canisters, EPA regs, seat belts.

I remember those beetles, they were super great and reliable cars :)

I am curious, why would there be a different fuel door mechanism between F-150 models? Why does the PB has a button inside the truck and in "conventional" engines the fuel filler is open for all?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
It's due to regulations applicable to hybrid vehicles. It needs to have a pressurized tank, non-hybrid models do not.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Which release button are you referring to? I can basically press on the fuel door and open it even when the car is locked, unlike other vehicles where this door is locked if the car is locked. I am referring of course to newer vehicles where there is no cap on the fuel tank, just the door (whatever this newer fueling system is called).
the fuel release button on the PB unlocks the hatch/door to the fuel reservoir and depressurizes the system. I’m not sure if this functions in the same way on other models. But my fuel door isn’t able to be opened without that button being hit. I’m a job 2 ‘21.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
the fuel release button on the PB unlocks the hatch/door to the fuel reservoir and depressurizes the system. I’m not sure if this functions in the same way on other models. But my fuel door isn’t able to be opened without that button being hit. I’m a job 2 ‘21.
I understand, but in my 5.0L Lariat there is no button to release the hatch, you just press the hatch to release it and it can be done even if the truck is locked.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Ford should be able to have the alarm go off when the fuel sender value changes from a set threshold just like they have for the alarm getting triggered when an attached trailer pigtail is disconnected when the truck is off. They could even do the same for the O2 sensors to protect the cats.

The reality though is that we shouldn't have to be driving around like it's Mad Max, protecting your personal property and your own safety begins at a place that I can't talk about here. Many of the scumbags stealing gas and catalytic converters should probably be in some kind of institution or another and not getting unleashed on a polite society.

The capless filler necks can be defeated whether the gas is successfully siphoned or not, the result is a failure code from the evaporative system and a $800ish repair bill. Which is total bullshit considering a failed fuel cap seal costs $5 to swap and certain vehicles have been having recurrent failures with their capless fillers, meaning that some people have had to pay for having them replaced multiple times during their ownership experience.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I've had capless vehicles since 2008. Both Ford and Ram. I've never had issues.

Sponsored

juicepower

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX 4x4 VELOCITY BLUE
Occupation
Integration Engineer

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
A lot of them are no longer being sold to scrap yards. There have been enough stolen from certain vehicle models that they are essentially creating their own replacement market by selling them to disreputable repair shops, who use them to repair the vehicles they were stolen from. There is also a newly emerging trend where their contents are being used to produce drugs.

I agree with your point though, that there is more that could be done to make the market less appealing.
Without a title, the cats cannot be sold to the repair shops either then.

as for melting down the contents, few will go that far, but definitely some will.

jz777

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat, 2020 BMW M240i Convertible
I think they would just grind them off.
I don’t think most thieves are that intelligent. lol

But, also, we need to have scrapyards that on the up and up to check for etched converters, require ID on sales, and report suspicious sales. Unfortunately, some of the scrap dealers are as shady as the thieves.

Sean80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 Tremor (on order)
I don't know if you've ever tried but it's absolutely impossible to siphon anything out of your tank due to the baffles in the tank where the filler neck enters. I tried when I needed gas for a generator during a hurricane last year!
The easiest why to steal gas is to punch a hole in the plastic tank under the truck and fill cans, real easy on lifted trucks. For protection from this I put a 1/4" aluminum skid plate under the tank end to end and rolled up on the sides it now protects the entire 36 gallon tank. Or a $162.00 of fuel at 4.50!
So if they have a drill, won't they just drill through the 1/4 aluminum? Sorry, but I don't think that's going to help anything.
Sponsored