First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Just as a data point, 2.6.0 has failed 4 times on my truck per the Android Widget by @kennelh on the other forum.. January 2021 build, 5.0 302A. Trying to decide whether to go to dealer. This thread is very helpful, thanks all.
I had another failure. Sat in the truck, turned on Wi-Fi, let the truck idle, and released the update. It failed because "Update could not complete. The system will try again with the next update." Widget failure code was OTAM_E1016, which appears to be a common failure code, especially on the Mach E forum.
Not sure what failed, download or update, but recently the truck went into deep sleep. Called the dealer about deep sleep and OTA failure and set up an appointment to check out the truck.
Surprisingly, the dealer called back to say there is a module that needs to be updated. We shall see.
Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I had another failure. Sat in the truck, turned on Wi-Fi, let the truck idle, and released the update. It failed because "Update could not complete. The system will try again with the next update." Widget failure code was OTAM_E1016, which appears to be a common failure code, especially on the Mach E forum.
Not sure what failed, download or update, but recently the truck went into deep sleep. Called the dealer about deep sleep and OTA failure and set up an appointment to check out the truck.
Surprisingly, the dealer called back to say there is a module that needs to be updated. We shall see.
I got the same error code.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Two likely candidates for the errors you’re seeing: (1) undercharged (or bad) starting battery; and (2) out of date software in the TCU. Both conditions can cause a deep sleep warning and update failure. To see if it’s the first, put your battery on a charger overnight and let it recharge completely before reattempting the update. The second causes an erroneous deep sleep warning and requires the TCU module to be reprogrammed to get rid of it.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Another indicator of a bad battery is that auto start stop discontinues to function. This is easily checked by checking on the instrument panel. Go to current fuel mileage, scroll down to auto start stop and stop at a traffic stop. It will display "auto start stop off due to vehicle charging"
Mine did this with a bad battery.

OP
OP

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I would like to share the same problem regarding the APIM being locked by local Ford dealers in attempting to update software on 2021 F150’s.

I had my truck back to Ronnie Thompson Ford due to messages on the Ford App of failed updates.

The third time the tech locked the Apim on April 8, 2022. Ford‘ s decision was to order a new APIM. I just checked Ronnie Thompson service and the new Apim was not in. Again Ronnie Thompson has already issued two COPUS and was going to issue another today.
My experience may be atypical but reaching out to Ford Customer Relation (800.392.3673) for help can't hurt. Your calls to Ford are logged and recorded. Getting a case number saves a lot of repetition and documents your continued frustration with the dealer and Ford. Although the CSR is different each call, they were willing to get involved when they realized I had made repeated calls.

I responded to Ford’s request in this thread for information and was given a case number. I believe the dealer’s attitude changed from indifference to actively trying to get my truck fixed once Ford Customer Relations got involved. I was able to rant and rave about Ford and the dealer (I apologized to the poor CSR’s who had to listen.) Ford did contact the dealer and a field engineer got involved. The dealer called me to try one more time to get the OTA 1.7.1 failure fixed and if not an APIM was ready to ship overnight. The fix failed and an APIM was shipped as promised, installed and programmed within a couple of days. OTA updates started.

Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Just as a data point, 2.6.0 has failed 4 times on my truck per the Android Widget by @kennelh on the other forum.. January 2021 build, 5.0 302A. Trying to decide whether to go to dealer. This thread is very helpful, thanks all.
Update: After 2 more failures, yesterday 2.6.0 update was successful. No idea why it finally went through after 6 failures.

flashtek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Reviving this thread. If the discussion moved somewhere else on here, please let me know. Tried my hand at updating my APIM. Just as I thought I had the right set of network dongles and crazy cords, my download got Bricked. I have had my USB in the truck for only three days now but was wondering if the "waiting" method is still the way to go? I already took it to the dealer and I put it on a charger every night that I can remember. I don't have a garage my truck will fit in, so not 100% comfortable with leaving the charger out there and hood cracked but... I've followed Jessie's road map and Big Heavy's trick to the APIM. I've read more about how to fix my truck than I read my entire time in High School. ---Ish... LOL I've spent a truck payments worth of money and hours sitting in a hot garage. Now my hopes and dreams are on the weight of a $15 thumb drive. FYI... I'm not even trying to get Blue Cruise, just a truck that works like it is supposed to. Signed - Helpless Near Hutto

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Be patient!
The ratio of success for the drive around with a thumb drive in is actually very high.

flashtek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Be patient!
The ratio of success for the drive around with a thumb drive in is actually very high.
I seriously got in the truck after updating this post and the screen said, "System Updating" but then USB Error showed up. Pushing forward, thank you for the reply!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Hmmmmmm
USB error doesn't give me optimism.

Obviously something finally triggered the truck to recognize that the APIM update was found on the USB stick. But perhaps the USB error thereafter indicates a file corruption or some issue with reading one of the files?

Can you try another brand of stick?

Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I seriously got in the truck after updating this post and the screen said, "System Updating" but then USB Error showed up. Pushing forward, thank you for the reply!
Check if your sync version number changed. When you go back to restart. Mine was a little wonky like that to. But it did allow me to move forward in fdrs there after.

flashtek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Hmmmmmm
USB error doesn't give me optimism.

Obviously something finally triggered the truck to recognize that the APIM update was found on the USB stick. But perhaps the USB error thereafter indicates a file corruption or some issue with reading one of the files?

Can you try another brand of stick?
Just bought a different stick. My current version according to Ford Pass: Sadly, It has not changed

Ford F-150 Locked Out of Recovery 4.0.20301

Last edited:

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just bought a different stick. My current version according to Ford Pass: Sadly, It has not changed

4.0.20301.png
Make sure to format xfat, quick format is OK. Do not name the drive / usb stick more than 8 characters. The name "John'supdates" is Not ok! "updates" is OK. If the truck recognizes the drive ok you will see at the top of your screen " USB Indexing " if this happens the waiting game begins again. Good luck!

flashtek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
I saw those tips somewhere about the USB stick but thank you for the reminder. I just plugged in the USB stick that was recommended in this thread about 3 hours ago. The stick indexed and I went ahead and threw my charger on too. Getting these trucks to update reminds me of trying to get the game on TV with old rabbit ears... you have to hold your tongue just right. LOL
Sponsored