Sponsored

Lockable Fold-Flat Storage retrofit installation later?

visnoal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Honda Pilot
Im having trouble finding a truck with my specs WITH the lockable fold-flat storage option installed. I was surprised more trucks dont come with that option ticked. Any ideas why? I thought it would have been a no-brainer. Any ideas if this can be purchased and added later?
Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Im having trouble finding a truck with my specs WITH the lockable fold-flat storage option installed. I was surprised more trucks dont come with that option ticked. Any ideas why? I thought it would have been a no-brainer. Any ideas if this can be purchased and added later?
The only reason that I am aware of is when one is ordering a gas-powered (non-HEV) configuration with ProPower. The 2kw lithium battery is in the cab, located under the rear seat, taking up the space where the lockable fold-flat storage space would be.

For the PowerBoost (HEV) configurations, this is not an issue because the battery is not in the cab. It sits between the rail frames, below the rear floor.

I hope this helps.

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
In my case I didn't order because the fold-flat storage isn't really flat - it leaves a step in the floor and a hard plastic surface when folded and I (and my dogs :)) prefer a completely flat floor. Still have the usual storage compartment under the rear seat

OP
OP

visnoal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Honda Pilot
The only reason that I am aware of is when one is ordering a gas-powered (non-HEV) configuration with ProPower. The 2kw lithium battery is in the cab, located under the rear seat, taking up the space where the lockable fold-flat storage space would be.

For the PowerBoost (HEV) configurations, this is not an issue because the battery is not in the cab. It sits between the rail frames, below the rear floor.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the help....I can understand if the truck comes with ProPower, but most of the trucks I am seeing dont have this option & no lockable storage. I would really like to have this option on my truck and dont mind installing it later. However, if you cant install it later, I want to make sure that its optioned before I buy the truck. Thanks

OP
OP

visnoal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Honda Pilot
In my case I didn't order because the fold-flat storage isn't really flat - it leaves a step in the floor and a hard plastic surface when folded and I (and my dogs :)) prefer a completely flat floor. Still have the usual storage compartment under the rear seat
Oh Really? I didnt realize that its not really flat.....good to know. Thanks for the info, much appreciated

Sponsored

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Oh Really? I didnt realize that its not really flat.....good to know. Thanks for the info, much appreciated
It's *almost* flat, but not, see the picture of a Limited ... which also shows the existing open storage under rear seat that for me is enough without the added lockable storage (shown folded down in this picture)

Ford F-150 Lockable Fold-Flat Storage retrofit installation later? 1606345631382

And (King Ranch) with the storage folded up i.e. opened

Ford F-150 Lockable Fold-Flat Storage retrofit installation later? 1606345847046

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I don’t believe the one from Ford will be able to be retrofitted. From what I’ve seen, there is a locking mechanism built into the seat that works with the trucks normal key. (area circled in blue)

Ford F-150 Lockable Fold-Flat Storage retrofit installation later? B43DAB6B-8305-46EE-97B6-3F52FF45525A

I’ve heard they have made aftermarket options for Gen. 13 F-150s, but no word on them making one yet for Gen. 14.

SARosei

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order 2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Finance
Well — I ordered the under seat storage bin pictured above, and am now trying to determine whether I can get it installed — lock or no lock. It’s not a cheap date, and will be a bust if I cant get something figured out. Quality of the part looks good, but securing it in place is the challenge. I did access some information about how to REMOVE one of the factory units from the website of another non-OEM bin manufacturer, so perhaps a bit of reverse engineering on those instructions will be a solution. All thoughts welcome.

Nightshade

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F-150 Lariat | '22 Ford F-350 S/D Tremor
Occupation
Firefighter Superintendent
Has anyone added the lockable storage after the fact yet? Looking to see if I can get one added onto my work's 21 XLT; my '22 Lariat has it already.

Sponsored

PlnWhtF150

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL 4x4
i realize this isn't the question, but wanted to interject another thought. I purchased the Tuffy underseat locking container for my f150 XL and really like it. it is pricy at $499, although you can find sales closer to $400, or Amazon open box for even less like mine was, but i am not sure what others are spending on the Ford underseat locking setup. I think the Tuffy would be much more secure, and one bonus is you can unscrew 2 plastic knobs and fully remove the bin in about 30 seconds to return the floor to fully flat. Just a thought for anyone looking into locking storage. Plus, it's made in the USA.
https://tuffyproducts.com/products/...021-f-150-2017-2021-f-250-350-450-super-duty/

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
I looked into this awhile back. I believe this storage can be added after the fact. I don't think it's a 'just bolt it in' affair, but not far from it. Nonetheless, the lockable part is rather ridiculous. If you really want lockable storage, in what scenario are you locking the storage yet leaving the truck unlocked? Isn't the truck lockable storage by default? 🤔

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I looked into this awhile back. I believe this storage can be added after the fact. I don't think it's a 'just bolt it in' affair, but not far from it. Nonetheless, the lockable part is rather ridiculous. If you really want lockable storage, in what scenario are you locking the storage yet leaving the truck unlocked? Isn't the truck lockable storage by default? 🤔
Agreed. My truck is never unlocked if not near it or working out of it. I’d be interested in putting the oem storage bin in mine as well.

Nightshade

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford F-150 Lariat | '22 Ford F-350 S/D Tremor
Occupation
Firefighter Superintendent
Honestly don’t really care if it’s lockable; would just use it for its foldable part only! For the bolt after the fact, I did hear a guy just used long and big tap-in screws just to screw it down.
Sponsored

Last edited: