Lock keys in truck and use key pad?

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
With a keypad all you have to do is push the two lower buttons simultaneously to lock the keys in. Punch in your code to unlock. Works great, I do this all the time. If locked with the keypad, you cannot start the truck without touching the unlock button on the FOB. No need for a Faraday cage!

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
So hopefully this saves someone some trouble, but I was able to lock my keys inside the truck using the Ford Pass app. I was at the beach and didn't want to carry around my keys in the sand, but needed the phone with me.

When I got back to the truck, the Ford Pass app would not unlock the truck. I had to call AAA to break into the truck after trying the app for 30 minutes.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
So hopefully this saves someone some trouble, but I was able to lock my keys inside the truck using the Ford Pass app. I was at the beach and didn't want to carry around my keys in the sand, but needed the phone with me.

When I got back to the truck, the Ford Pass app would not unlock the truck. I had to call AAA to break into the truck after trying the app for 30 minutes.
What about the keypad?

Sponsored

Hog_Johnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
If locked with the keypad, you cannot start the truck without touching the unlock button on the FOB. No need for a Faraday cage!
Mine isn't like that. During hunting season I kept the fob stashed and used the keypad to lock/unlock. It started multiple times without ever touching the fob.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Mine isn't like that. During hunting season I kept the fob stashed and used the keypad to lock/unlock. It started multiple times without ever touching the fob.
Same here.

That being said, I think the way it works (or was explained to me) is that if you don't unlock manually via keypad or the remote the truck won't start. Regardless of where the key is.

fooli-150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered F150 Lariat 501a PB 4x4 SuperCrew
I do an outdoor workout group at a local park where we may be a little away from the parking lot at times. Obviously want to have my keys on me. I'm always in the general area and not worried about someone taking time to break into the truck, but definitely uncomfortable with leaving the key hidden just outside of the truck. Being able to lock the key in the truck and open it back with the keypad has been an incredible feature for this.

Sponsored

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
On my 2016, I could type in the password to unlock, and then immediately hit the 5/6 key to drop the tailgate. Loved that, but it doesn’t seem to work on the 21.

Markusvt

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Never took it out of my 2018, 4 years later and battery still good.

I used to leave my fob in the truck all the time until I realized it drains the fob battery.

Markusvt

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Same with my 2021, I really liked that feature. Maybe we are doing something wrong?

On my 2016, I could type in the password to unlock, and then immediately hit the 5/6 key to drop the tailgate. Loved that, but it doesn’t seem to work on the 21.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
It is listed as working in the owners manual but mine doesn't do it either.