Sponsored

Loading/unloading a 450 lbs safe from truck bed

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I'd rent/borrow a trailer that is lower to the ground vs the truck bed. The trailer gate can be used as a ramp.
Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I've lifted and moved a lot of heavy stuff before I got my truck, and a couple things since getting it. I'd be hesitant to try to move a 450# safe with a clone of myself unless it was only 10' away. Lifting 200 lbs is one thing. Lifting and carrying it is something else entirely. I'd want at least 3, if not 4 people to move it safely.
I see what you did there.....

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I got it done last night with no drama. It was about 400 lbs, not 450 lbs (I bought a slightly smaller one in the end).

Did not take the door off. The tailgate took the weight with nary a creak. I used a section of 3/4” plywood to protect the edges of the tailgate.

I thought about how to control the descent of the safe without being in the path of it and ended up sliding a 2x4” through the pallet base (had it been heavier I’d have used a 2x6 or two studs screwed together).

Then I pulled the safe out to where it was just about balanced on the tailgate, and lowered it using the 2x4 onto a piece of plywood on the garage floor. The 2x4 gave us plenty of safe grip while keeping us out of the way. In fact it worked really well because we could brace the 2x4 against our thighs while adjusting hand grip. You can see the slot in the pallet base we put the 2x4 through in the picture below.

I did this with just my 16 yo and myself and it was very easy.

IMG_6063.jpeg

Glad to hear it worked out. Now show us what you fill it with ;)

One would think that Ford could add another number to the specs for owners to know how much weight the tailgate can handle...

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I had to laugh at the guys who drive half tons and were scared of loading a safe. Time to trade in for an Accord boys. Well done. Why am I such a hater? :ROFLMAO:

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
The problem is in controlling the safe when getting it down to the ground. A great many youtube videos of guys (usually) trying to save a few bucks and doing a great deal of damage, often to themselves.

When I bought a pallet of pavers I found a building supply that had a fork lift with 8 inches of ground clearance and able to get the pallet off the flatbed and up the driveway and set it down exactly where I wanted it.

I had a large safes delivered to my office by the safe company which trades out old ones for new higher rated ones and so the used ones are discounted a great deal. The alternative would be renting a truck with a lift gate to deliver the safe.

I remember when a very large jade boulder was pulled out of the water south of Big Sur. The lady with her pickup insisted that it be dropped in the bed of her "half ton" pickup. The weight of the boulder collapsed all four wheels in a second. Later she rented a trailer and had someone tow the boulder on the trailer.

For a home safe I would go with one that I could bolt from the inside to the concrete and not rely on the weight to deter thieves.

OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
So when I picked up the safe at Tractor Supply, I went in to the counter. And then the guy told me to drive out back where they’d load it up.

I dead pan asked “It will fit in my Honda Civic hatchback, right?” and the guy looked shell shocked before I said “I’m just kidding, it’s a truck”. :)

OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
For a home safe I would go with one that I could bolt from the inside to the concrete and not rely on the weight to deter thieves.
While this one can be bolted to the floor, the concrete pad my home is built on has tensioned rods running through with a warning not to cut or drill into it so I have to figure something else out.

BILDOZER

First Name
BILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat, 2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Management
As far as weight goes I have hauled 900lbs hot tubs and unloaded them with no damage to the tailgate whatsoever. The issue is having the manpower, tools and a plan to remove it. The truck will be fine!

Sponsored

OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
As far as weight goes I have hauled 900lbs hot tubs and unloaded them with no damage to the tailgate whatsoever. The issue is having the manpower, tools and a plan to remove it. The truck will be fine!
Yes it turned out to be very sturdy!

madsend81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 157" WB
Occupation
Engineer
I had to laugh at the guys who drive half tons and were scared of loading a safe. Time to trade in for an Accord boys. Well done. Why am I such a hater? :ROFLMAO:
My suggestion to remove the door of the safe first was not so much to save the truck, but to save the OP's back.

OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
My suggestion to remove the door of the safe first was not so much to save the truck, but to save the OP's back.
I thought about it but I figured I’d lose some fingers trying to open the door when the safe was on it’s back with the handle hardware packed inside the safe. :D

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
@thudnblunder

HOLD ON!!!!
So your safe SHOULD have the ability to remove the door. The door is where the BULK of your weight is. Remove the door and move everything in two pieces. This is a very common "Do" before moving any safe\gun safe, etc, in or out of a house.
Talk to your safe company and ask them to remove the door and then show you how to reassemble.
Literally doing this on the house we just bought.

Ford F-150 Loading/unloading a 450 lbs safe from truck bed 1713398549645-l7

OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
@thudnblunder

HOLD ON!!!!
So your safe SHOULD have the ability to remove the door. The door is where the BULK of your weight is. Remove the door and move everything in two pieces. This is a very common "Do" before moving any safe\gun safe, etc, in or out of a house.
Talk to your safe company and ask them to remove the door and then show you how to reassemble.
Literally doing this on the house we just bought.

1713398549645-l7.png
I know how to remove it. When you unlock it, and open it halfway, it lifts right off the hinge pins.

I didn’t remove it before loading though (lack of experience!) and then at home it was hard to open it with the full weight of the door holding it shut and no handle (disassembled and packed inside).
Sponsored