First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Does Ford alter the steering feel when 4A is engaged?

Like I said, it feels pretty drag-gy when I engage the 4A. Even feels like it doesn't coast as well. I'll get used to the truck and get a mpg baseline with my new AT tires, then I'll test a tank with 4A to compare mpg, and report back.

So some updates:
I'm only on like my 6th tank of fuel but best I can tell these are my economy numbers with each change:

1) stock with low tire pressure as it arrived (bought used) about 17-18.
2) stock with 45 psi in the tires I got low 21s.
3) added Tonneu cover and got mid 21s.
4) swapped to Premium fuel. First mixed tank came to low 22s. Next tank all Premium fuel came in at mid 22s.
5) Livernois tune, back to mid 21s but more fun to drive. I've reset it several times and it ends up back at 21.6mpg within 100 miles every time. The first couple of resets I was doing more full throttle runs than I did stock, but this last 250 mile stretch I drove it nicely and very little change. So it lost 1 mpg compared to stock with Premium fuel. Or I got the same economy as I did stock on RUG. No biggie and totally worth it. I'm not doing more 3/4> throttle runs on the tune than I was stock (about 1-2/ day), however one could argue that I'm doing more work when I do them because the truck accelerates faster now.

The lowest cost per mile is just stock, on RUG.
Most fun is Premium on the tune. But don't due it for economy improvements.

Next changes: All Terrain & 285 wide (but no leveling kit) tires being installed in a couple of days. I expect a drop to right at 20mpg, or a loss of 1.5mpg.

Then Amsoil for the oil change, expect no change in economy or any performance metric.

Then I have an AFE airbox on order. I expect no mpg change but a notable improvement in throttle response as that has been my experience with other AFE airboxes I've added, and I've done many. But will report back on this when I receive it.

That'll be it for mods for this truck.
Just as I thought, lost exactly 1.5 mpg going to AT tires. They were slightly different rpm than the stock tires and I used my Livernois tuner to adjust that.

Going to be honest, I regret the tires. They ride poorly and don't actually look good. stock sized AT tires on 22" wheels just look stupid. They do have MUCH better traction, even on pavement, than the stock Generals that came off. That surprised me. I will take them to another shop and try to rebalance them to see if they smooth out a bit. They frankly wrecked the ride quality of the truck.

Since there are no LT rated slightly oversized AT tires that fit the Limited 22" wheels once I wear these down I'll go back to just a stock sized road tire. However, tires usually last me 50K miles so I'm stuck with these for 2-3 years. :(

ON Edit: Most of the poor ride quality was related to having too high air pressure in these tires. They are riding notably better at 37 psi vs the 44 psi they were set at (at my request).

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Does Ford alter the steering feel when 4A is engaged?

Like I said, it feels pretty drag-gy when I engage the 4A. Even feels like it doesn't coast as well. I'll get used to the truck and get a mpg baseline with my new AT tires, then I'll test a tank with 4A to compare mpg, and report back.

So some updates:
I'm only on like my 6th tank of fuel but best I can tell these are my economy numbers with each change:

1) stock with low tire pressure as it arrived (bought used) about 17-18.
2) stock with 45 psi in the tires I got low 21s.
3) added Tonneu cover and got mid 21s.
4) swapped to Premium fuel. First mixed tank came to low 22s. Next tank all Premium fuel came in at mid 22s.
5) Livernois tune, back to mid 21s but more fun to drive. I've reset it several times and it ends up back at 21.6mpg within 100 miles every time. The first couple of resets I was doing more full throttle runs than I did stock, but this last 250 mile stretch I drove it nicely and very little change. So it lost 1 mpg compared to stock with Premium fuel. Or I got the same economy as I did stock on RUG. No biggie and totally worth it. I'm not doing more 3/4> throttle runs on the tune than I was stock (about 1-2/ day), however one could argue that I'm doing more work when I do them because the truck accelerates faster now.

The lowest cost per mile is just stock, on RUG.
Most fun is Premium on the tune. But don't due it for economy improvements.

Next changes: All Terrain & 285 wide (but no leveling kit) tires being installed in a couple of days. I expect a drop to right at 20mpg, or a loss of 1.5mpg.

Then Amsoil for the oil change, expect no change in economy or any performance metric.

Then I have an AFE airbox on order. I expect no mpg change but a notable improvement in throttle response as that has been my experience with other AFE airboxes I've added, and I've done many. But will report back on this when I receive it.

That'll be it for mods for this truck.
Well, for whatever reason this is where I'm posting my MPG changes and I wish I could run more tanks between changes to truly assess each change, but I change things a bit too quick.

Anyways, I was running 93 Octane discount fuel but switched to Costco detergent 93 Octane. If you don't know there really is something to those additives in gasoline that the name brands add.

Hard to believe but my mpg jumped a solid .5 mpg going to the high end Costco 93 Octane compared to discount 93 Octane. They just opened up a Costco next to my office & my carwash place so this will be my fill up location moving forward.

Averaging a consistent 21 mpg now. That includes the AT tires I added a few weeks back.

Supposed to have my AFE intake by the end of this month and will report back on that sometime next month.

Regarding the Livernois tune, don't even think about it. Runs great. Sometimes I wish the shifts were smoother but it's fine.

PBoost

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 PB
Anyone have information when the 2023 trucks will be supported by Livernois flash tunes?

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Outside of contacting them directly, no.

Side note: clearing KAM woke my truck up again. The science? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Just loaded the e30 tune. Might hit up the strip tomorrow night.

edit: it was a rental tonight. Maybenext week

Last edited:

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
You and your bragging. 😁😂

There is a station nearby with E85. I might have to try the E30 tune as well..

Sponsored

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Good 60' time, where do you think you lost time?
I cut a 1.69 on the run I messed up. It’s a good 60’ but there’s def more in it. These things explode off the line if u build boost on the line in tow mode. U have to do it just right tho and I have a hard time getting it. If u do it too aggressive with too much throttle while holding the brake to build boost, it’ll enter some torque management mode or something. It’s all about trying to get it to that invisible line and not surpass or it’s over before you started.

Last edited:

Bendoza

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Anyone have or try running the E-boost? My tuner just came in and excited to get started tomorrow. Also, I’ve read you have to get under the hood to change tunes, still the case or is “on the fly” tune change available now for 2021+ (I have ‘21)

Beercity

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 701a F150 | 20 Escape hybrid | 13 Escape
Occupation
Dude Named Ben
So question for those with the tuner.
When new versions of tunes are released do you get notifications from Livernios?
I see mentions of v6, v8, and v9, if you were running v6 and updated to newer version are there "release" notes?
Sponsored