List your 2021 F-150 issues

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
2021 F-150 Lariat 502a - Most all options including power running boards, B&O Unleashed, etc.

1. CarPlay/HotSpot/FordPass wouldn't work
Resolution: All were the same core issue, a problem with trucks built between late April/Early May that got a bad firmware, resolved in 20 minutes.

2. Sliding rear window rattle when open and music playing
Resolution: This was more painful, needed a full rear window replacement since the power rear window is integrated. Aside from waiting for a slot in the bodyshop though, it was resolved in a day.

3. Rattle from driver side door/switch panel
Resolution: Dealer tried but didn't resolve, because the sound seems to be from that panel, but is actually the mirror bolts. There is a thread on it, I fixed it myself in ten minutes.

Those have been my only issues, and really only the sliding rear window was a real issue. I have seen an odd alert here and there, I saw the rear backup assist unavailable once, but they go away quickly and hopefully OTA updates will improve on those types of things.

Overall, I looooooooove the truck, and the insane city MPG I have been getting out of this PowerBoost is fantastic. For a first model year/new gen/huge leap in tech vehicle I expected some gremlins.
Sponsored

True North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-125 Ford One Gallon Flush Toilet
Jeep has a team dedicated to a forum like this it’s nice to have corporate support on the forum but there is a lot of problems with the wrangle
Likewise, looks like alot of problems with the F150!

clipperqb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 3.5 EB, Super Crew, 4X4
XLT, supercrew, 4x4, 3.5 EB
Failed battery.
A/C stopped working a couple days ago. Going to dealer on Tuesday.

N2B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
CRNA
I have a 2021 Lariat, Fully loaded, 502A, 3.5EB, Max tow, blend date 05/12 Dearborn. I took delivery on Saturday, June 5. AC quit working in 2 weeks. Blowing warm air.
At the dealership now getting the module FSA 21B33 fix and AC fixed Per service technician, “a Leak” was found. I brought in the car at 0900,,at 3pm, tech called and the truck will need to spend the night at the dealership. It doesn’t look good.

My first Ford.

I will update the group once it get fixed.

Update: 6/23/21 1600 Unable to isolate the leak, unknown ETA, they have reached out to Ford engineers

Update 06/24/21 Possible fix, possible solution, low refrigerant from Dearborn as they was unable to locate a leak. Crossing fingers that it is only the problem. Plan was for the dealership to refill refrigerant and monitor the next couple weeks. Picking up the car now.

Last edited:

clipperqb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 3.5 EB, Super Crew, 4X4
XLT, supercrew, 4x4, 3.5 EB
Failed battery.
A/C stopped working a couple days ago. Going to dealer on Tuesday.
Follow up:
Found but a bad resistor (I think) not serviceable. Had to order "battery junction box". Came in today. They just called. Can't get something to program. Ran a jumper and compressor kicked on, cold air. Submitted to Ford engineering hotline.
Awesome

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
my Synch NAV went away - blue screen for a full day while on road trip. It came back after an overnight stop, has worked for the past week. I’ve also had the main screen reset several times, go full black while driving at highway speeds. Lots of little glitches with iphone interface. Biggest issue was engine and tranny overheating during uphill mountain tow of 9,750-pound boat trailer rig in Adirondacks two weeks ago. Also found engine braking in tow mode nearly nonexistent. The truck is oversold for towing. I upgraded tires to E-rated and added airlift air bags, stayed within weight specs, but my Powerboost KR is still not close to being able to handle a 9,750-pound trailer safely.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
When I took delivery Wireless CarPlay/FordPass/Hotspot wouldn't work. This ended up impacting a lot of owners with trucks made between April and mid-May. Improperly programmed module, was fixed in 20 minutes once Ford determined the cause.

The power sliding rear window rattled annoyingly when fully open and radio on. Had to replace entire rear window (not unusual on that part, having to replace the entire window that is, because of how the power sliding window is integrated). That was fixed when they fixed the modem.

Last issue was also one many others have experiences, rattle seemingly coming from the window buttons on the driver side controls. I have heard it sometimes impacts passenger as well. But solution was super easy and I fixed it myself thanks to this forum by tightening the bolts for the side view mirrors. It's funny that this is the cause since it isn't where the sound seems to come from, but that was definitely it.

Frustrating first few weeks, but the truck is perfect now and I love it. Just finished a long road trip and got 24.3 MPG despite having entire family and bed full of stuff, and I get 26-30 MPG in the city, while having the most powerful 1/2 ton engine aside from the TRX. First year headaches aren't new, but it was worth the trouble.

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
Picked mine up today and on the way home I can hear what sounds like something rubbing in the wheels. Sounds like metal on metal. Going back to the dealer tomorrow to have them take a look.
My driver side front wheel was making a noise and it was the axle cap came off and was rolling around on the center cap.

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
Also, started my truck up with the key fob the morning after I brought it home and the belt sounded terrible. Thought maybe they got something on it while detailing it. Only does it on a cold start then slowly goes away. Scheduled to take it in tomorrow and leave with them. Sucks to have to leave my truck.

GeorgeK

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Self employed
21 F150 Lariat fully loaded 3.5 ecoboost
Having electrical issues since I bought it 12/26/20 been to the dealership many times for some of the same issues as others and still hasn’t been fixed
1.) electrical issue draining the battery
2.) 12” center screen goes all black or all white missing icons radio still on and playing
3.) collision assist try’s to kill me applys the brakes on the highway with no one around
4.) multiple sensor issues and warning
5.) auto start stop doesn’t always work because the battery is alway in a weak state
6.) truck doesn’t go into reverse even though the shifter is in reverse and the indicators are illuminated
7.) shifter goes into the dash pocket when putting it in park
8.) 12” display screen flashes like it’s taking pictures
9.) lane centering assist shuts down while driving dropping speed from 75 to 35 while on the highway cruising
10.) rusting on axles, frame, differential drive shaft ends
And still more but you get it
11.) heated steering wheel goes cold on cold days
12.) heated seats so hot you can cook a whopper on them
I have more issues and pictures of most of them to back up my complaints
It’s been to the dealership multiple times they’ve replaced the shifter once al ready and they’re waiting for another one to come in so they can change it again, they haven’t been able to fix the electrical issues as they don’t know where to look battery tests out good yet if you leave it sit from Monday to Thursday on Friday you need a jump start so right now my 73K truck is sitting at the dealership since June 15 2021 And every time they start the truck I get a list of faults because the battery is dead and they are jumping it my last status update today was they are waiting on the shifter when I asked about the electrical issues they’re clueless and don’t have any answers for me

Sponsored

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
Also, started my truck up with the key fob the morning after I brought it home and the belt sounded terrible. Thought maybe they got something on it while detailing it. Only does it on a cold start then slowly goes away. Scheduled to take it in tomorrow and leave with them. Sucks to have to leave my truck.
Update 06/30/2021

I left my truck overnight and dealer called today stating that they did hear the noise and narrowed it down to one of two pullies. ordered two pullies and a belt but not sure when they will arrive. The truck has 1144 miles and that's only because I had to drive it with the issue for two weeks.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
This is my third new pickup since 1979.
I don’t have any issues with my new one at all ( that I am aware of or care about) except CarPlay only works when it wants to.

my gripe is more about newer cars in general.

I have driven cars almost exclusively with tilt steering.
Years ago, that little lever on the side ( or the turn signal stalk on Ford products) allowed you to tilt the wheel down to virtually vertical.
Just the wheel and the hub would angle down.

New cars have that silly lever under the column that releases a clamp and then you have to snug it back up.
Not only that, but the entire column pivots from somewhere within the dash.
Even my 98 K1500 pivots somewhere near the dash, but it is much easier and convenient to use.

Inconvenient, cumbersome, and not nearly as comfortable to me as the cars pre 90s.

Tilt is the most used accessory in my cars, and has been since I started driving ( I’ve replaced the pivot pins, turn switch, and ignition switch rack & rod in my 79 Chev 3 times over the years because I flat wore them out from use. And that truck is only on its second clutch at 420k

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
3500 miles on my Powerboost. My left rear door trim rubs a tiny bit...

Icewraithusa

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL 3.5 EcoBoost
Interesting to read some of these issues, my 2021 XL 3.5EB with all the towing options has these few gremlins:

1. Wireless carplay uses it’s own WiFi network which isn’t linked to the internet, so you land up getting glitchy satnav whenever the phone tries to use the WiFi for internet again (Design fault and one I really do hope they fix)
2. Random rough shifts, had this on my new Edge ST when I got it in 2019, seemed to get fixed with an update a few months later so I’ll wait and see
3. Tire pressures are hidden many menus deep and aren’t available while driving. These were a main display option on my Edge so I can only imagine someone coded this badly. I want to be able to check tire pressures after I’ve hit some of the potholes here in CO :)
4. The Eco speed display screen randomly isn’t available, but then will be available the next time I drive, assume it’s a s/w glitch

So I have a good one, it seems, and am just waiting on some software patches to fix the few annoyances.
Sponsored