First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I didn’t have any problems with my Line-X install but it must be common enough that Ford released an SSM on it:

September 20, 2022 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: SSM 51092
Components: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

NHTSA ID Number: 10222070
Manufacturer Communication Number: SSM 51092
Summary
Some 2021-2022 F150 customers may have concerns including, but not limited to: no power to the distribution box, rear camera inoperative, rear park assist inoperative, box lights inoperative, power up/down tailgate inoperative, unable to open tailgate by tailgate switch, and no tailgate AJAR message when the tailgate is AJAR. These concerns may be caused by faulty connections between the pickup bed, tailgate, rear lamp assemblies, or bumper where connectors are disconnected, damaged, or coated with bedliner. Prior to performing any warranty diagnosis or repairs, verify if the vehicle had an aftermarket spray-in-bedliner. Any repairs resulting from aftermarket products/installation, including but not limited to a spray-in bedliner, are not covered under warranty.
Right, that one was Ford's CYA to state if they fix they are charging, if the tailgate was not plugged back together well or had overspray in the plugs, done by 3rd party.

There was another issue, in my belief was a software issue, in that if the tailgate was unplugged or plugged in some "wrong" order or maybe with 12V battery connected, etc, the system would get confused, and not reset automatically and fix itself. So they educated their service departments on how to do it, so as to not cause the problem, or if too late, then how to reset the problem. Later on, again, my belief, they fixed the software to not get confused. Mainly, because removing the tailgate is a owner procedure (they even included the dust cover for the unplugged connector in the glove box or owner's bag). And there is no instructions in the Owner's manual that specifies either the sequence or disconnecting the battery. This is why I believe it was a programming error and is now fixed.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I think the key is to go to a reputable shop that knows what they’re doing. I had zero issues with mine.
I agree, though sometimes that's hard to judge.

As soon as I started asking the counter-person at my Line-X shop about details of the job, he had the tech who actually does the work meet the two of us in the parking lot at my truck to discuss exactly how and what he would do. That discussion afforded me much more confidence about trusting my truck to that dealer and perhaps more importantly to that technician actually doing the work. When I asked about tailgate removal concerns the tech immediately acknowledged those as valid concerns and proceeded to explain how he addresses that issue.

The outcome was they earned a very satisfied customer.

Last edited:

bowling

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Most Ford service by now (and most LineX) should know the procedure. In the beginning it was a bigger issue. There has been both software updates (to prevent the issue) and education on how to fix it. Remember, the tailgate is designed for Owner removal (it's in the manual, pg 111).
LOL, what manual? The useless digital onboard one? - I know, I know I can buy a paper one, but I'm miffed that's not a freebie.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired

Sponsored

garagegymgoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Star White Lariat 502A w/ BAP
Thankfully zero issues with mine after getting it Line-X'd...I think if you go with a reputable shop they should know how to handle things. But who knows!

garagegymgoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Star White Lariat 502A w/ BAP
I have a 22 Platinum that I just had LineX applied to about a month ago. Went for their "platinum" variant and I wasn't sure if that uncharge included getting down in the small gaps in the tailgate hinge area, but I'm glad they did it. Ended up adding a husky mat, tailgate seal and retraxpro XR tonneau. I was also worried about the electrical issues removing the tailgate, but I experienced no issues. I was impressed with the attention to detail & really like how the finish is holding up.

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 5.03.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 5.06.34 PM.png
I went with the high end line-x too. love the gloss...also was considering the mat to keep things from moving or getting scuffed. Does that seal completely close the gap? So like rocks and whatnot could never get in between there? If so which brand did you buy. Ive checked some out but I like how that seal looks fairly clean and OEM.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I figured there would still be problems. I’ll just get the bed mat. I’ll have a tonneau cover on it and all I’d really use the bed for is my golf clubs, coolers and hauling boxes to the storage unit.
I would not give up so easy bud. Just talk to the guys when you drop off the truck and let them know about this issue. My truck is a 3/22 build and I did not even know this was a problem so I did not tell them anything and I’ve not had any issues. I have no idea what they might have done with the tailgate. and it was right after I bought it I had the linex done as well as rustproofing.

RPUDGE7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum PB BAP
I have a 22 Platinum that I just had LineX applied to about a month ago. Went for their "platinum" variant and I wasn't sure if that uncharge included getting down in the small gaps in the tailgate hinge area, but I'm glad they did it. Ended up adding a husky mat, tailgate seal and retraxpro XR tonneau. I was also worried about the electrical issues removing the tailgate, but I experienced no issues. I was impressed with the attention to detail & really like how the finish is holding up.

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 5.03.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 5.06.34 PM.png
I’m considering the exact same setup. Minds having Line X sprayed. Any thoughts on the Rhino or Bullet spray when researching your options? One of them has a grippy surface is only reason would consider non Line X. Also thoughts on Retrax?? It’s double the cost but looks worth. And husky mat solid? Line X said can do the BeeDee May for $160.

kcarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XLT 2.7, 2022 F150 Platinum
I’m considering the exact same setup. Minds having Line X sprayed. Any thoughts on the Rhino or Bullet spray when researching your options? One of them has a grippy surface is only reason would consider non Line X. Also thoughts on Retrax?? It’s double the cost but looks worth. And husky mat solid? Line X said can do the BeeDee May for $160.
Hey RPUDGE17 -

I'm really liking the setup so far and I've had it all put together for a little over a month now. I didn't really research the Rhino/Bullet liners as I've always been around truck people who swear by Line-X. People thought I was crazy when I ordered my truck from the factory without any bed liner, but I wanted to get the coverage down into the gaps since that was a heavily scratched area on my previous truck with a plastic drop-in. Many times I've forgotten screws or tools on the tailgate when shutting, and they always got caught in the hinge area and scratched the paint. Not sure if the "Platinum Line-X" includes spraying in these gaps, but I specifically requested the local shop (Sterling Heights, MI) to get those areas for me. I was really impressed with the overall attention to detail. The platinum liner seems to be shiner than the basic, too. Coworker of mine purchased a Ranger recently and went back to the same place to get the regular liner - his did not include coverage into the gaps by the bumper.

In terms of resilience, I noticed that I had paint transfer onto the Line-X from a heavy old bench that I slid into the bed without the husky rubber mat. I used a small wire brush and some automotive grade goo gone in light circular motions to remove the paint and it worked great. No hazing from where I used the brush and it looked brand new again. After that, I ordered the husky rubber liner to protect from that in the future. It also keeps my video gear (and YETI) from sliding around. Had a Dee-Zee rubber mat in my last truck with a drop-in bed liner and it worked great. I didn't really care about the brand of the rubber mat for this truck, just looked for the cheapest thing on Amazon.

As for the Retrax, I did a bunch of research over the years and decided on this brand and style for security. As I said above, I'm sometimes carrying expensive video gear in the bed and want peace of mind that someone can't slash the top and get into it. My buddy who purchased my old truck from me got the Retrax Pro MX (polycarbonate), and my dad also got the polycarbonate for his 21. They look great and both are very happy as well, but I preferred the extra security of the XR (aluminum), and the looks (wider slats?). So far it has been working great, but I haven't utilized the t-slot rail system yet. I can go through the car wash with just a couple of drops of water around the tailgate.

Recently I took a trip to Home Depot to grab 10 2x4x8s and it was really nice to secure them sticking out the top of the tailgate at the rear, secured with some ratchet straps, and slide the retrax right up to the edge of the lumber. The Retrax can lock at infinite positions, which is nice.

Only downside to all of these options was cost. Around $2200 for the Retrax Pro XR on Amazon that I installed myself (super easy), $860 for the Platinum Line-X, and $200 for the rubber mat. I intend to keep this truck for the next 10 years so I looked at these items as an investment. You could save $1000 easy if you opt for the Retrax Pro MX (poly) over the XR (aluminum).

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps your decisions!

Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 2.47.48 PM

Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 2.49.45 PM

After a little use:
Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 2.51.24 PM

Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 2.42.13 PM

Sponsored

Wvmtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I have the bullet, and it is very slick. I prefer the factory spray in, but ford wouldn't let me order it.
I installed the husky bed mat yesterday. Hopefully it provided more grip for cargo.

RPUDGE7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum PB BAP
Hey RPUDGE17 -

I'm really liking the setup so far and I've had it all put together for a little over a month now. I didn't really research the Rhino/Bullet liners as I've always been around truck people who swear by Line-X. People thought I was crazy when I ordered my truck from the factory without any bed liner, but I wanted to get the coverage down into the gaps since that was a heavily scratched area on my previous truck with a plastic drop-in. Many times I've forgotten screws or tools on the tailgate when shutting, and they always got caught in the hinge area and scratched the paint. Not sure if the "Platinum Line-X" includes spraying in these gaps, but I specifically requested the local shop (Sterling Heights, MI) to get those areas for me. I was really impressed with the overall attention to detail. The platinum liner seems to be shiner than the basic, too. Coworker of mine purchased a Ranger recently and went back to the same place to get the regular liner - his did not include coverage into the gaps by the bumper.

In terms of resilience, I noticed that I had paint transfer onto the Line-X from a heavy old bench that I slid into the bed without the husky rubber mat. I used a small wire brush and some automotive grade goo gone in light circular motions to remove the paint and it worked great. No hazing from where I used the brush and it looked brand new again. After that, I ordered the husky rubber liner to protect from that in the future. It also keeps my video gear (and YETI) from sliding around. Had a Dee-Zee rubber mat in my last truck with a drop-in bed liner and it worked great. I didn't really care about the brand of the rubber mat for this truck, just looked for the cheapest thing on Amazon.

As for the Retrax, I did a bunch of research over the years and decided on this brand and style for security. As I said above, I'm sometimes carrying expensive video gear in the bed and want peace of mind that someone can't slash the top and get into it. My buddy who purchased my old truck from me got the Retrax Pro MX (polycarbonate), and my dad also got the polycarbonate for his 21. They look great and both are very happy as well, but I preferred the extra security of the XR (aluminum), and the looks (wider slats?). So far it has been working great, but I haven't utilized the t-slot rail system yet. I can go through the car wash with just a couple of drops of water around the tailgate.

Recently I took a trip to Home Depot to grab 10 2x4x8s and it was really nice to secure them sticking out the top of the tailgate at the rear, secured with some ratchet straps, and slide the retrax right up to the edge of the lumber. The Retrax can lock at infinite positions, which is nice.

Only downside to all of these options was cost. Around $2200 for the Retrax Pro XR on Amazon that I installed myself (super easy), $860 for the Platinum Line-X, and $200 for the rubber mat. I intend to keep this truck for the next 10 years so I looked at these items as an investment. You could save $1000 easy if you opt for the Retrax Pro MX (poly) over the XR (aluminum).

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps your decisions!

Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 2.47.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 2.49.45 PM.png

After a little use:
Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 2.51.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 2.42.13 PM.png
You have no idea how much your reply and detail helped me! Window tint as we speak, Line X last week, and Retrax Pro XR in a few hours next.
I think it’s the perfect setup for me. More pictures coming!

Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems D1F8B1DF-4A86-4B20-B87F-2A84CD4C60F2

Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems 70906029-F046-4EE3-B3F3-E1BBD653EB5F

Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems 27AD07CE-E1E5-4792-B796-F20D61DA8D1B

Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems 417FFC43-06FE-4C33-882A-DE0EE4C6C473

Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems 6ACAA7EB-BB7E-4A6A-AECF-75DD1D5CA145

charmai101

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Line X sprayed over the bolts, is that going to be a problem?

charmai101

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems D03D525C-9437-43C4-9FF0-D64231AF6A19