Sponsored

Limited AWD vs Platinum 4WD Drivetrain

DaHealey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Anyway, we went back and took the kids this time, went again to the state park and it was SO FUN this time knowing what to expect and I cannot wait to try it again with the FX4 package and different settings. Hell, I may even try it going downhill with the hell descent and different settings!

I don't like losing 200# payload but I'm making up the MPG loss with the hybrid. And we never know when an unexpected situation may occur. Other campers have warned about sites with gravel/mud and trying to leave while towing and horror stories. Having FX4 will give more peace of mind.
Anybody who pulls a RV and goes to National Forest or primitive campgrounds needs to get a 4x4. I’ve gotten myself into a handful of situations where I’ve needed 4wd to move my camper into a weird spot and wouldn’t have been able to do it with 2wd only.
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
4 Wheel Drive—

to get you out of some silly place you never would have thought of going if you didn’t have 4 Wheel Drive

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
When I lived in Atlanta, I purchased a 2WD truck and only really had issues when I was pulling my boat out of the water a few times. Since then, I buy 4WD and it has come in handy time and time again. Woke up to an absolute deluge while camping near the Buffalo River in Arkansas. The guys I was with had the same thing happen the year before and anyone with 2WD had to be 'helped' back up out of the canyon. On my trip, we all were running 4WD and it still was not an easy climb out. I can see it both ways, but the way I use my truck, it has to be 4WD.

DavidNJ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
QX56, Port City Super Late Model, 38 Buick Special
This thread talked about the Torque on Demand feature of the BorgWarner transfer case applying PWM to an armature that puts pressure on clutch discs for varying torque to the front wheel in 4Hi

On the Ram pickups with a similar BorgWarner transfer case owners report that the system unlocks when in 4Hi and 4Lo when the throttle is closed and reduces tension when the steering wheel is turned, relocking after slip is detected.

That is not the desired behavior...owners expect 4Hi and 4Lo to always be locked front-to-rear. I'm trying to determine if the Ram has unique transfer case programming or if all BW transfer cases with a multi-disc clutch coupling the front and rear axles have that behavior.

Question: does the transfer case logic on the F150 keep the front and rear wheels locked together in 4Hi and 4Lo or does it release when the throttle is closed?

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Question: does the transfer case logic on the F150 keep the front and rear wheels locked together in 4Hi and 4Lo or does it release when the throttle is closed?
Everything I've read has never eluded to anything like this.

My WAG is that since the RAM system relies on a motor (looks like a mini starter motor) to apply the clutch force, it can't stay at 100% duty cycle to keep the clutches fully locked. The Ford version is an electro magnet, so it can apply 100% duty cycle as long as it needs to.
Ford F-150 Limited AWD vs Platinum 4WD Drivetrain 1646795841164
Sponsored